• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
By trying to offend no one, they have disappointed almost everyone. Wasted opportunity to follow up the game changing 10th gen design with another winner.
Design should come from passion, not fear.
The tenth gen was...a 10. This boomer bought two- an SI and then an FK8. So don't give me any of that 'only millennials liked that edgy styling' crap.
The 11th gen..a placeholder until the designers get back to work and pen the 12th. Which can't be soon enough.
Sponsored

Ormi1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
By trying to offend no one, they have disappointed almost everyone. Wasted opportunity to follow up the game changing 10th gen design with another winner.
The tenth gen was...a 10. This boomer bought two- an SI and then an FK8. So don't give me any of that 'only millennials liked that edgy styling' crap.
The 11th gen..a placeholder until the designers get back to work and pen the 12th. Which can't be soon enough.

Well said. And it won't be soon enough. Honda traditionally waits a good amount of time before updating a generation. At least people talked about the 10th generation, for better or worse. They loved it, they hated it. But they had something to say. Now I know I'm the one disappointed about the new one, but overall I really think it's going to be overlooked by a lot of people. It just didn't evoke much at all.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
It reminds me a lot of the 8th to 9th generation transition. Honda tried to use the same language "simplified design", "clean modern look" It's just cover language for bland uninspired styling. I'm pretty disappointed as well. It looks like a rental car already.

Ormi1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It reminds me a lot of the 8th to 9th generation transition. Honda tried to use the same language "simplified design", "clean modern look" It's just cover language for bland uninspired styling. I'm pretty disappointed as well. It looks like a rental car already.
I had a 9th gen myself. Nothing to write home about for sure. However I'd argue it was better looking than this. The interior wasn't, so I'll give that to the 11th, but the exterior of the 9th in my opinion is better than the 11th.

Ormi1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

They did do a refresh from what I remember. I hope they do the same for this one. I'm just concerned it won't be enough.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
I think it boils down to Japanese "sensibility". The 9th gen had been a bit of a disaster for Honda and they needed a big bounce back. They turned to their California design studio to come up with something bold. And the 10th was just that. Not only was it edgy and different, it drove amazing too. And for all the complaints about vents and overstyling, it was a bonified smash hit.

But I think the good folks at Honda Japan took all those "overstyled" remarks to heart and decided to tone down things and had their Honda Japan team do the work on the 11th.

The 11th is certainly a nice enough looking car. It's refined. It's clean. But it's exterior is also kind of cookie cutter, plain and as a few reviewers have noted, "inoffensive". Hey, if I'm a car designer, the last thing I want my work called is inoffensive. The interior is excellent though and let's face it, you spend most of your time there.

But ultimately a car isn't just about practicality, it's also an emotional purchase. Where the 10th had me super excited, the 11th has me feeling a bit lukewarm.

Last edited:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
6 years of this is definitely going to drag on. Good thing is, our 10th gens should easily last until the 12th gens come out. Or better yet, this gives us all the perfect excuse to go buy that Porsche we've always wanted. ?