• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
This is why I'm okay with them making special editions for the collectors/brand boosting. Make the non-special edition accessible and practical for the masses.

Hopefully production isn't artificially limited by Honda.
Sponsored

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
I think it will be similar to the FK8. Which is still lower than it could be, though.

Hytrax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M140i
Well I think Honda also has to manage the exhaust emission limitations in Europe which are getting stricter every year. So it is in the Interest of the manufacturer to sell fewer cars with high emissions. Maybe they are facing this situation with a limitation…

D.no

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GT3, Range Rover Velar, MINI Cooper
Well I think Honda also has to manage the exhaust emission limitations in Europe which are getting stricter every year. So it is in the Interest of the manufacturer to sell fewer cars with high emissions. Maybe they are facing this situation with a limitation…
I think the avoidance of paying punitive fines for exceeding fleet car average emissions targets is likely to be a consideration in Honda's European sales strategy, but at present (due to their pooling agreement with Tesla) they have significant head room.

That said, I'm not sure I buy the positive spin about Honda limiting UK supply of the CTR to maintain exclusivity. If the car is profitable, then surely the cow would be milked dry, unless external factors prevent it.

Mavis_6963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
I am based in the UK and had talked to a few dealers around my area in these two days. Some said the new type R would be limited and they might not able to source one like the previous FK8 limited edition. While some others keep their mouth tight and just say there is no source for them as well.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Being built in the US, they have way more capacity besides I remember seeing 50k number plaques. You can be sure honda builds more. Type R's do not use anything expensive and rare like Carbonfiber or titanium. They can build as many as standard civics long as there is demand.

CeeBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT - '21 Civic Hatch EX
Being built in the US, they have way more capacity besides I remember seeing 50k number plaques. You can be sure honda builds more. Type R's do not use anything expensive and rare like Carbonfiber or titanium. They can build as many as standard civics long as there is demand.

Depends on if they use the same dual axis front suspension that the FK8 has. Which necessitated different fenders and front bumpers as well due to the wider track.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Depends on if they use the same dual axis front suspension that the FK8 has. Which necessitated different fenders and front bumpers as well due to the wider track.
doesn't matter, it still your standard galvanized sheet metal and its getting pressed at the same factory. Also I bet you that the Type R has a much higher profit margin than your standard Civic. There is no reason for Honda to limit production for this car.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
The mark up on these will be insane for the 1st year because there are people who will pay for it. Used FK8's are worth more than new at the moment also. Don't be to surprised.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
The mark up on these will be insane for the 1st year because there are people who will pay for it. Used FK8's are worth more than new at the moment also. Don't be to surprised.
There will no doubt be markups, and crazy ones at that, but also, don’t assume every dealer is going to charge a crazy markup. Also, comparing the used car market to new is apples to oranges right now. There is plenty of information out there, about how it’s actually better to buy new than used. I say, enough with all the fear mongering and drama.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There will no doubt be markups, and crazy ones at that, but also, don’t assume every dealer is going to charge a crazy markup. Also, comparing the used car market to new is apples to oranges right now. There is plenty of information out there, about how it’s actually better to buy new than used. I say, enough with all the fear mongering and drama.
It's not fear mongering and drama if its true.

The used car market is a direct affect from the new car market. Lack of inventory creates demand. Impatient people will pay more.

The chip shortage is still a huge affect on the market and isn't going away or a while. Just try to find an Si right now, and if you do find one with zero mark up.

I owned a 2017 #318 Type R, even then when the market was normal mark up was quite the norm. This will be interesting to see lol. Going to see 20k mark ups, especially on a limited car like the Type R.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
It's not fear mongering and drama if its true.

The used car market is a direct affect from the new car market. Lack of inventory creates demand. Impatient people will pay more.

The chip shortage is still a huge affect on the market and isn't going away or a while. Just try to find an Si right now, and if you do find one with zero mark up.

I owned a 2017 #318 Type R, even then when the market was normal mark up was quite the norm. This will be interesting to see lol. Going to see 20k mark ups, especially on a limited car like the Type R.
Not arguing with you, that there will be markups and some crazy ones too. Just saying they won’t all be that way. I know someone who got a new Ford Lightning at MSRP, and I guarantee they sell more F-150s than Type Rs… in this market… so explain that?

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not arguing with you, that there will be markups and some crazy ones too. Just saying they won’t all be that way. I know someone who got a new Ford Lightning at MSRP, and I guarantee they sell more F-150s than Type Rs… in this market… so explain that?
F150 is mass produced. They plan on mass producing the Lightning too. Type R not so much.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
150,000 Lightnings per year to be exact. That is what Ford has claimed.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
F150 is mass produced. They plan on mass producing the Lightning too. Type R not so much.
Maybe at some point they do, but not right now, and per your previous point, on supply and demand, that shouldn’t matter… right now, the supply is incredibly low based on demand…
Either way, we will see. I don’t think every single type R sold will have a minimum $20k markup.

I said fear mongering and drama, because people make across the board comments, based on personal experience and conjecture, that don’t speak for the entire situation. If 3,000 people of the 20,000 that bought FK8s in the US, didn’t pay crazy markups, then your point is your perspective only.
Sponsored