• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Lug Nut Torque for FL5 - Owners Manual Wrong!

pigfacedalarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
***EDIT*** Dealership confirmed that the 2023 Honda Civic owners manual that comes with the Type R’s in the USA is incorrect. There should be a special note stating that the Type R torque is 94 foot pounds. 80 is for standard Civics only. Owners manual to be revised in future. ***EDIT***

Just a heads up. If I remember correctly, prior generation Type R had lug nuts torqued at 94 foot pounds. According to page 763 in the owners manual, the FL5 is 80 foot pounds.
I checked for other references in owners manual but couldn’t find any. Nothing in index about wheels or lug nuts, so I basically read every page (I wish I was kidding).

11th Gen Honda Civic Lug Nut Torque for FL5 - Owners Manual Wrong! image
Sponsored

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Nice! Thanks for looking this up. It’s something I was going to eventually do. My previous car (owned ‘09 Si for 13+ years) was also 80 ft lbs, so it’ll be easy for me to remember. 😄

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pilot, 1971 Triumph TR6, 2023 CTR
My brother worked for honda for years. I think that torque spec is wrong. I tried my spare and we have the same size studs as the FK8. I'll post when I find out. I looked in the manual also. He is going to check with the dealership.

First Name
Hong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Just a heads up. If I remember correctly, prior generation Type R had lug nuts torqued at 94 foot pounds. According to page 763 in the owners manual, the FL5 is 80 foot pounds.
I checked for other references in owners manual but couldn’t find any. Nothing in index about wheels or lug nuts, so I basically read every page (I wish I was kidding).

image.jpg
I think Honda F**ked up in the owner's manual. I am going to hold my judgement but I CANNOT imaging a car with more HP and Torque than FK8 requires less torque to lug nuts UNLESS they are using some super-duper lug nuts and wheel.

10th G Civic manual always has a section for 2.0 L specs and you're right, yours is missing that. Even my old DC5 and GK5 requires 80. So I have to assume 80 is for a non-Type R.

I would call Honda Corporate and ask them to clarify with their engineers. This is a safety thing!

11th Gen Honda Civic Lug Nut Torque for FL5 - Owners Manual Wrong! 1679103495201

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I would trust the owners manual. FL5 wheels are different from the FK8 and 80 ft-lb is likely enough torque to have them secured against the rotor. Comparing an older FK8 spec is meaningless.

First Name
Hong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I would trust the owners manual. FL5 wheels are different from the FK8 and 80 ft-lb is likely enough torque to have them secured against the rotor. Comparing an older FK8 spec is meaningless.
Are you willing to re-torque all of your FL5's lug nuts to 80 lbf-ft and go track it? US/Canada manuals says 80. But UK manuals says 94...see that wing behind the dude??? Are you telling me the geographical difference warrants from 94 (in UK) to 80 (in NA)? It's the same damn car. Check out the link/PDF yourself....

Comparing an older FK8 spec is NOT meaningless, it's called sensible thinking and ask questions - Stay open minded.

2023 FL5 UK Owner's Manual

11th Gen Honda Civic Lug Nut Torque for FL5 - Owners Manual Wrong! 1679109710683

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I'm assuming 94 is the correct figure, but I would confirm from the horse's mouth on this one.

Different wheel usage shouldn't be a factor, since you would follow the recommended torque specs for a given car, regardless of which wheel you would use (OEM or aftermarket). But someone can correct me. So the wheel isn't a variable.

UK FL5 manual states 94. US generic hatch manual says 80, with no differentiation between the CTR and lesser models (unless it applies to all models which isn't likely), so probably an oversight they missed before it went to print. And FK5/FK8 hub and suspension designs aren't all that different. So logically, probably 94.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
In the coming months Imma hit up the dealership, or Honda directly, for a proper manual for the FL5. It’s a relatively small thing, but also kind of not. There’s important safety related info in it! With all the hearsay everywhere online, I’ve always used my cars’ manuals for the last word in accurate information.

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Torque specs are normally set by the size of the stud. I torqued mine to 94lbs. I'm pretty sure Honda only has two sizes and these are the large studs.

Cooler2442

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT4
How bad is it if mine are torqued to 110? Had a tire shop do that for the wheels since I didn't know the specs.

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If over torqued it can warp rotors. I'm keeping mine at 94. I had a Ridgeline, have a Pilot, and had the FK8 with the same size studs they were 94lbs. Like I said I'm going by size of the studs. The smaller studs civic and CRV are 80lbs.

First Name
Hong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
No need to apologize Canadian.
pigfacedalarm, I would stick with 94 b.c of bigger studs than normal civic, UK manual says 94 and FK8 was 94. But that's me, best of luck brother.

Last edited:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
M14 lug nuts are 94 ft lbs. This includes FL5, FK8, Ridgeline, Odyssey, Pilot

M12 are 80 ft lbs, this includes every other Civic and every other current Honda

submitaweasel

First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 integra
FWIW I have taken the 80ft/lb spec to 100 ft/lbs for my own piece of mind on every vehicle i have owned in my lifetime. When it came to customer cars: those were always torqued to mfg spec to prevent any fault of my own. Being out of that business now; I still believe
100ft/lbs is a nice compromise between mfg specs and not having lug nuts loosen with hard driving.
Sponsored