• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
The story I saw (link below) indicated that the CARB filing was for the sedan - They stopped offering the Civic X sedan with a manual a couple of years ago, so I don't think the CARB filing represents a change from the current Civic X configurations.

https://www.motor1.com/news/494080/2022-honda-civic-engine-leaks/

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-...my2022-passenger-cars-light-duty-trucks-and-0

If they CARB filing covers the Sport Hatch, then that's different, and very bad news - Does anybody know?
I think it's pretty safe that they'll continue to offer the Si with the 6MT.
We may need to wait 6 months to know if the hatch will be offered with manual. If the SI is offered in both Sedan and Hatch then Honda may decide to only offer the manual with the SI (Sedan and Hatch).
Sponsored

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
If they bump the 1.5T up to 192hp like the Accord that would be a nice improvement.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
It might also be worth noting that in a recent interview about Honda's 2 new EV Crossovers coming for the 2024 model year (one for honda, one for acura) using second generation GM Ultium Batteries/Platform. Honda mentioned wanting to reestablish itself as a leader in Hybrid tech, and is looking to offer hybridization on ALL models on their upper trims by the same time the EVs go on sale.

What I can maybe predict from this is that the civic sedan/hatch will launch this year using the 2.0L on LX/Sport trims. EX and above will get the 1.5T.... until the mid model update for the 2025 model year (released end of 2024) where the 2.0L will be dropped, the 1.5T will become the standard engine (possibly in various states of tune) and upper trims (possibly EX+ or just on Touring trim) will have some sort of hybrid setup that will add power and MPG. The question being of that possibility, will Honda hybridize the 1.5T making an already awesome little engine more powerful and efficient, or will they opt to copy/paste the accord hybrid setup, which would be an improvement in MPG, but performance less so.

It also stands to reason that the Si could see some hybrid tech added for more power. (mounting the hybrid batteries in the back of the car would improve front/rear weight distribution and possibly lower the cars center of gravity improving handling as well).

delfinom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2006 V6 EXL
It might also be worth noting that in a recent interview about Honda's 2 new EV Crossovers coming for the 2024 model year (one for honda, one for acura) using second generation GM Ultium Batteries/Platform. Honda mentioned wanting to reestablish itself as a leader in Hybrid tech, and is looking to offer hybridization on ALL models on their upper trims by the same time the EVs go on sale.

What I can maybe predict from this is that the civic sedan/hatch will launch this year using the 2.0L on LX/Sport trims. EX and above will get the 1.5T.... until the mid model update for the 2025 model year (released end of 2024) where the 2.0L will be dropped, the 1.5T will become the standard engine (possibly in various states of tune) and upper trims (possibly EX+ or just on Touring trim) will have some sort of hybrid setup that will add power and MPG. The question being of that possibility, will Honda hybridize the 1.5T making an already awesome little engine more powerful and efficient, or will they opt to copy/paste the accord hybrid setup, which would be an improvement in MPG, but performance less so.

It also stands to reason that the Si could see some hybrid tech added for more power. (mounting the hybrid batteries in the back of the car would improve front/rear weight distribution and possibly lower the cars center of gravity improving handling as well).
It would be weird as hell to have a hybrid with a turbo engine. They do already have the 1.5 hybrid on the Civic aka Insight in the architecture of the Accord.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
It would be weird as hell to have a hybrid with a turbo engine. They do already have the 1.5 hybrid on the Civic aka Insight in the architecture of the Accord.
It is a bit unorthodox. But hyundai recently started offering a turbo/hybrid setup for the new Tucson. Given that the turbo engines are only about 6 years old, Honda may want to squeeze a few more years out of them to make them worth all the R&D. Also, the 1.5 hybrid in the insight would be a big downgrade in terms of performance compared to the 1.5T, the accords larger 2.0L hybrid setup would at least be capable of similar performance in the lighter weight Civic (compared to the Accord).

It’d be hard to justify a top of the line trim level with a weaker engine than the lower trims with the 1.5T, so I feel like the accord setup or a new turbo/hybrid setup is the better route if they want to make any meaningful sales. Especially with the current SUV/CUV sales craze, small cars need to bring something meaningful to the table beyond just good mileage.

delfinom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2006 V6 EXL
It’s such a boring design compared to the X. Why would they do this? A step backwards. At least there’s a little more going on under the hood…
Toyota is eating their lunch with "boring designs" probably. The Accord and Civic saw a 27/37% drop in Feburary sales. The Camry and Corolla have only seen 18%/17% drops. Honda CUV/SUV sales are actually up at the same time so it isn't purely a "economy drop", especially Toyota saw RAV4 sales drop.

Last edited:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I wasn't a huge fan of the prototype (ok, it's not terrible) but one thing it had going for it was the sharp angle on the front - right above the Honda badge. Now look at it on the production model. It's flat, which pretty much kills what little aggressiveness was there on the prototype. I agree with everyone that has said the whole thing is just "blah." I don't see the Si trimmings saving this thing. Probably gonna need CTR goodies to make this look proper.

11th Gen Honda Civic ? Production 2022 Civic Sedan LEAKED! sedanComps

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I think there's no chance of that in 11th gen, the Si has always been light and cheap. It might make sense in an Acura where they're not so fixated on cost and weight.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I wasn't a huge fan of the prototype (ok, it's not terrible) but one thing it had going for it was the sharp angle on the front - right above the Honda badge. Now look at it on the production model. It's flat, which pretty much kills what little aggressiveness was there on the prototype. I agree with everyone that has said the whole thing is just "blah." I don't see the Si trimmings saving this thing. Probably gonna need CTR goodies to make this look proper.

sedanComps.png
Good catch, that part of the prototype looks much better. Hopefully it's just the weird camera angle.

JimmEEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mz3

sedanComps.png
I wonder if the high corner on the hood is for pedestrian safety regulations. I know those are big in Europe, and they require crush space between the sheet metal of the hood and the top of the engine. The reasoning is that pedestrians thrown up onto the hood won't be injured by hard contact with the engine.

That's the reason a lof of cars have high, bulbous hood profiles in recent redesigns, but I don't know if it applies to the Chinese or US markets.

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
I wonder if the high corner on the hood is for pedestrian safety regulations. I know those are big in Europe, and they require crush space between the sheet metal of the hood and the top of the engine. The reasoning is that pedestrians thrown up onto the hood won't be injured by hard contact with the engine.

That's the reason a lof of cars have high, bulbous hood profiles in recent redesigns, but I don't know if it applies to the Chinese or US markets.
Yup, this is driving the design of the front of all vehicle as they need to sell in all markets. It is the main reason we are seeing larger front grills every year.