• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe, 2008 Tundra Limited, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Dead engine), Horse Trailer, Quarter Horse (Dyno=1 HP)
My issue is everyone I've personally known to buy a 2.0T powered GTI had either engine, transmission, or engine and transmission issues. And by everyone, I mean LITERALLY everyone. Many people I know have been turned off VW forever due to their experiences with the quality.
Agreed. I cross shopped the GTI and really liked it. It was only the reliability reputation and poor after sales support anecdotes that turned me off.

Between the WRX, GTI and Si... I really loved all 3. Price was the determining factor for me. With the Honda selling in the low 20's and the other 2 in the upper 20's... I didn't see $5000+ worth of added value with the other makes.

Ultimately I would have been very happy with any of the above.
Sponsored

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe, 2008 Tundra Limited, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Dead engine), Horse Trailer, Quarter Horse (Dyno=1 HP)
For me the GTI would never be considered until they revert back to physical controls. That is an immediate disqualifier for me.
This has got to be the worst automotive trend in the last 5ish years. I'd imagine very few people prefer digital controls. Keep it simple, functional and tactile please.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ridgeline RTL-E, 2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S
I have no plans to part with my Miata, but I'm not afraid of EV's - I've driven enough of them to appreciate their different qualities such as instant and abundant torque, quietness, smoothness, and efficiency. I find some of them just as fun, but in different ways - no different than how I have just as much fun on my Onewheel as I do in a Hellcat.

This has got to be the worst automotive trend in the last 5ish years. I'd imagine very few people prefer digital controls. Keep it simple, functional and tactile please.
I didn't "stick" 35 years ago in the 1986 Buick Riviera. :)

(I remember seeing this for the first time in a friend's mom's '86 Riv - I was enthralled by such advanced technology for the time.)

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Honda Civic Si World Debut! ? 1636116832449

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

(I remember seeing this for the first time in a friend's mom's '86 Riv - I was enthralled by such advanced technology for the time.)

1636116832449.png
That really looks like the oscilloscopes we used in college.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Honda even tried it, and went back to real buttons and knobs. Before the market got absolutely crazy I was looking at a few 2017 FK8s. I couldn't get over the lack of tactile buttons and knobs.

Reactions: mjh

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I have no plans to part with my Miata, but I'm not afraid of EV's - I've driven enough of them to appreciate their different qualities such as instant and abundant torque, quietness, smoothness, and efficiency. I find some of them just as fun, but in different ways - no different than how I have just as much fun on my Onewheel as I do in a Hellcat.

1636116832449.png
The Camaro Burlinetta and the 80's Cougar had digital guages too. LCD's had a higher failure rate and were harder to see in day light then.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
I'm actually a MK7 GTI owner that's switching to the 11th gen Si. I have a deposit on the first one a dealer near me is getting. I initially was just going to get a new GTI, however the lack of real buttons is a huge turn off for me. Even though mine has some significant suspension, and power mods, I actually found the 10th gen Si I test drove to be more fun to drive. It was slower, but more engaging even in city driving. For speed reference, my GTI will pull car lengths on a stock FK8.
Thanks for your input, it is really good to hear from a GTI owner.

I think what a lot of people in the car world miss, and what you suggest here, is that numbers don't tell the whole story. Yes the GTI is way more performance on paper, but that doesn't mean it's more FUN. And fun to me is much more important than impressive numbers.

My other car has a big V8 with 350hp and 400tq. But I'll probably sell it soon because it just isn't that fun to drive.

The whole reason I'm looking at an Si is because I love the way may 10th gen (non-Si!!) Civic drives for how practical and economical it is. It's the whole package in a way that a more expensive, more complex GTI may not be.

Last edited:

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR - white
Thanks for your input, it is really good to hear from a GTI owner.

I think what a lot of people in the car world miss, and what you suggest here, is that numbers don't tell the whole story. Yes the GTI is way more performance on paper, but that doesn't mean it's more FUN. And fun to me is much more important than impressive numbers.

My other car has a big V8 with 350hp and 400tq. But I'll probably sell it soon because it just isn't that fun to drive.

The whole reason I'm looking at an Si is because I love the way may 10th gen (non-Si!!) Civic drives for how practical and economical it is. It's the whole package in a way that a more expensive, more complex GTI may not be.
My most fun cars have been my 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 1992 Mazda Miata, 2016 Fiesta ST, 2008 Honda S2000, 2020 WRX, and my Type R that I have now. The GTI (both that I had) had the DSG transmission and was pleasant to drive but just bored me, aside from its (both had problems) mechanical issues. I had a 2018 civic si and a 2014 civic si - the 9th gen was much more fun to drive while the 10th gen was nicer to be inside and it handled better.. it just lacked character. It was a really nice car though. Just my $.02.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
My most fun cars have been my 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 1992 Mazda Miata, 2016 Fiesta ST, 2008 Honda S2000, 2020 WRX, and my Type R that I have now. The GTI (both that I had) had the DSG transmission and was pleasant to drive but just bored me, aside from its (both had problems) mechanical issues. I had a 2018 civic si and a 2014 civic si - the 9th gen was much more fun to drive while the 10th gen was nicer to be inside and it handled better.. it just lacked character. It was a really nice car though. Just my $.02.
I'd love to find a nice 2.5RS that's either not over priced to hell or modded to hell.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
I'd love to find a nice 2.5RS that's either not over priced to hell or modded to hell.

My best friend had a 99 2.5rs when he lived in Asheville. That little car was a blast to bomb the blue ridge parkway. He ended up trading it in for a blob eye STI. That car was borderline scary in the mountains. Absolute beast

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Hondata just announced flex fuel tune results for the base model 1.5T 11th Gen Civic (I assume with CVT trans). I can't imagine how potent the Si will be with this same configuration. I'm thinking this new 2022 Civic Si will be appreciably faster around a track than the last one, given the same modifications. It seems this new L15B7 is capable of much more torque when tuned, possibly due to the exhaust side VTEC implementation.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Honda Civic Si World Debut! ? 1636395555175

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
Hondata just announced flex fuel tune results for the base model 1.5T 11th Gen Civic (I assume with CVT trans). I can't imagine how potent the Si will be with this same configuration. I'm thinking this new 2022 Civic Si will be appreciably faster around a track than the last one, given the same modifications. It seems this new L15B7 is capable of much more torque when tuned, possibly due to the exhaust side VTEC implementation.

1636395555175.png
Do we know for a fact the 2022 Si is appreciably faster then the 10th gen or just assuming.
Personally the Si is a waste of time If you want to track….just go for the mighty boss, the Type R. It would crush the Si in every single field without any effort.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport

1636395555175.png
Is there a comparative Hondata base map of a 10gen running e40? Those numbers don’t look all that good compared to dyno’s I've seen for 10gens.
Sponsored