• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2022 VW Golf R vs 2022 Honda Type R

StickShiftRoy

First Name
Roy
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I'm definitely not 100% on the styling of the new Golf... but from a price perspective... the new GTI seems like a tempting $30k offering vesus the Sport Touring Hatch.

Depending on other feature packaging, if it was between the Type R and Golf R... I'd probably still go with the Type R... mostly from a styling and reliability perspective.

davemarco

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2001 Honda Prelude (Premium White Pearl)
I'd go with the Golf R versus "upgrading" to the 11th Gen R, as it stands now. I mentioned it in another thread, but the new Golf R is a huge improvement over the last gen. By contrast, the new Type R is shaping up to be almost identical to the current one. And even if more power is in the cards, I feel like FWD as a platform is already being stretched to the limit with the current gen.

TypeSiR

First Name
Ridiculosaurus
Reaction score
Car(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Vehicle Showcase
Type R, as the price will remain around 40K. But for 45K, I'd rather get a leftover 2021 LE.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 6MT Sport hatch (now 2020 Si sedan)
Type R. I just don't find GTIs that much fun to drive, even compared to an Si, much less a Type R. I actually test drove GTIs and bought a 6mT Sport hatch. In the GTI I felt like I was sitting up a foot higher, and the stick shift sucked. Enjoyed the Sport hatch more.

Now that the Civic interior has much improved I think the VWs have less of an advantage. Especially the GTI, in which if you want leather, upgraded stereo or adjustable suspension, you have to buy the $39k Autobahn. Yikes.

jtrader

First Name
James
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport, 2009 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Honda ranks #5 in reliability. VW ranks #24. Since 40k is a huge investment, I'm going Type R all day, at least in this hypothetical scenario.

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Civic Sedan; 2022 Type R waitlist
Honda ranks #5 in reliability. VW ranks #24. Since 40k is a huge investment, I'm going Type R all day, at least in this hypothetical scenario.
I’d agree with this, pretty much how I see it. Long term reliability is still important to me for a car that costs this much and has such a high resale value. Despite the problems recently with Hondas, they are ultimately much more reliable than VW still.

Plus parts aren’t nearly as expensive to replace, I have no idea why VW parts are so expensive. This is ultimately also the reason I’m going with a CTR, though I do like the Golf R as well. I test drove a manual golf 2 years ago, and there were so many issues even with the test car (I know it’s not ultimately representative necessarily, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Rear passenger window didn’t work, dead passenger side speaker, and when getting on the highway, it pulled ITSELF out of gear while I was accelerating and not even touching the gear stick. “Warranty will replace it, don’t worrry, not a big deal” the sales guy says. What about after the warranty is up?

Same thing in the end for the Veloster/Elantra N. Hyundai have great designs and tons of technology, but it feels like every car they’ve released in the last 20 years has had SERIOUS recalls. All of the engine fires, self-destroying block heads, suspension parts that are defective. I’m pretty sure there was one recall about brakes not working as well? Anecdotally, I’ve know 4 people with Hyundai’s that have had major major problems within 10 years. New engines in Elantras before 100k kms, cracked frames, gearbox failures, suspension failures, Accents going through transmissions like nothing.

Honda hasn’t been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re still much closer to the top of reliability long term IMO. Even with the oil dilution in the 1.5Ts.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 6MT Sport hatch (now 2020 Si sedan)
I’d agree with this, pretty much how I see it. Long term reliability is still important to me for a car that costs this much and has such a high resale value. Despite the problems recently with Hondas, they are ultimately much more reliable than VW still.

Plus parts aren’t nearly as expensive to replace, I have no idea why VW parts are so expensive. This is ultimately also the reason I’m going with a CTR, though I do like the Golf R as well. I test drove a manual golf 2 years ago, and there were so many issues even with the test car (I know it’s not ultimately representative necessarily, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Rear passenger window didn’t work, dead passenger side speaker, and when getting on the highway, it pulled ITSELF out of gear while I was accelerating and not even touching the gear stick. “Warranty will replace it, don’t worrry, not a big deal” the sales guy says. What about after the warranty is up?

Same thing in the end for the Veloster/Elantra N. Hyundai have great designs and tons of technology, but it feels like every car they’ve released in the last 20 years has had SERIOUS recalls. All of the engine fires, self-destroying block heads, suspension parts that are defective. I’m pretty sure there was one recall about brakes not working as well? Anecdotally, I’ve know 4 people with Hyundai’s that have had major major problems within 10 years. New engines in Elantras before 100k kms, cracked frames, gearbox failures, suspension failures, Accents going through transmissions like nothing.

Honda hasn’t been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re still much closer to the top of reliability long term IMO. Even with the oil dilution in the 1.5Ts.
Honda at least seems to fix their issues. My 2020 Si has none of the issues my 2017 hatch had.

My buddy traded his 90s GTI cause he got tired of the rear windows leaking water and puddling on the floor. Guess what his brand new 15 years newer GTI did?😁

GTIs are pretty reliable but I hear complaints about issues they can’t seem to fix.