• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
My Toyota Avalon was built in the US and it was the most unreliable car I’ve ever owned. Just saying.
Sponsored

Lamotrigine

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GE8
All Hatch since 2002 were bult in United Kingdom..now they are built in US
Rip, RHD ones are made in JP, at least the Aussie market is lol. I think RHD type Rs are all made in Japan for the upcoming FL2 after swindon plant was closed.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
My Toyota Avalon was built in the US and it was the most unreliable car I’ve ever owned. Just saying.
Everyone trying to condense entire automotive companies manufacturing down to what country they are built in seems like a stretch.
I have known people with US cars built in Mexico, that were amazing, and ones built in Japan, that were horrible.
And, while I understand the allure of saying your JDM car was built in Japan, I don’t think it should detract from wanting the vehicle, if it isn’t.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone trying to condense entire automotive companies manufacturing down to what country they are built in seems like a stretch.
I have known people with US cars built in Mexico, that were amazing, and ones built in Japan, that were horrible.
And, while I understand the allure of saying your JDM car was built in Japan, I don’t think it should detract from wanting the vehicle, if it isn’t.
While I agree with everything you’re saying, everyone goes by their own experience.

My family owned plenty of Toyotas and Hondas over the last several decades. It just so happens that the Japanese-built ones were bulletproof while the American-built ones were constantly in need of repairs. Everyone’s experience will vary, but this was ours.

I’m not saying this will deter me from buying the new CTR, but I would prefer it were made in Japan. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
That is genuinely shocking. Everyone I know that has had an Avalon can't kill them. I can see TMMK from my house, so lots of them running around here.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is genuinely shocking. Everyone I know that has had an Avalon can't kill them. I can see TMMK from my house, so lots of them running around here.
Not shocking at all to us. Truly the most unreliable set of cars my family has owned. Here's the backstory... My parents are diehard Honda and Toyota nuts... have been for 3 decades. Their car nightmares started when they purchased a 2006 Avalon, which was the first US-made Toyota they owned. A year later, I bought one for myself as a commuter car. It was the same spec and model, except '07.

What's mind-blowing to me and my dad is that every single item that went out on the '06 also went out on the '07, at relatively the same time and mileage. So at least the Avalons were consistent in the way they broke down. Before they reached 100k miles, both cars needed new struts and shocks (they were leaking all over and the springs were cracked in similar places; requiring a complete suspension overhaul), new radiators, leaking power steering reservoirs in the same exact spots, new flex pipes, drive belts, stabilizer bushings & links, trunk latch, leaking sunroofs, thermostats, and transmissions experiencing shifting delays and grinding when accelerating (common on these cars), the list goes on... The most unreliable pieces of shit ever. Mileage for mileage, more unreliable than any BMW I've owned, which surprised us.

We got stories with Camry's, too, but that's for another time lol

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Not shocking at all to us. Truly the most unreliable set of cars my family has owned. Here's the backstory... My parents are diehard Honda and Toyota nuts... have been for 3 decades. Their car nightmares started when they purchased a 2006 Avalon, which was the first US-made Toyota they owned. A year later, I bought one for myself as a commuter car. It was the same spec and model, except '07.

What's mind-blowing to me and my dad is that every single item that went out on the '06 also went out on the '07, at relatively the same time and mileage. So at least the Avalons were consistent in the way they broke down. Before they reached 100k miles, both cars needed new struts and shocks (they were leaking all over and the springs were cracked in similar places; requiring a complete suspension overhaul), new radiators, leaking power steering reservoirs in the same exact spots, new flex pipes, drive belts, stabilizer bushings & links, trunk latch, leaking sunroofs, thermostats, and transmissions experiencing shifting delays and grinding when accelerating (common on these cars), the list goes on... The most unreliable pieces of shit ever. Mileage for mileage, more unreliable than any BMW I've owned, which surprised us.

We got stories with Camry's, too, but that's for another time lol
On the flipside my FIL's 300k + mile 07 Avalon is still tootling around town with the current owner. He's the furthest thing from a car person, and all that car ever got maintenance wise was Oil/Filter, brakes, and tires. YMMV

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boost Blue FK8
I always bought Japanese-made vehicles. It’s kind of a big deal to some folks. Especially given the new GR Corolla will be built in Motomachi.
every civic type r was built in britain