• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I feel safer inside the CTR than in the Corolla hatch. Same thing with the GTI.
The rear bumper is too close to the rear passengers (my kids).
For sure the safety difference is zero but that is how I perceive it.
I hate when designers give up rear headroom and trunk space for some sloping roofline they think looks good. Mazda does this all the time.
We looked at the Corolla hatch and while our Focus was only 1ā€ longer it has literally like 8ā€ more rear legroom, more headroom and a much bigger trunk.
Sponsored

arsing116

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ GRC CE, 23ā€™ Civic Si (Sold), 14ā€™ Evo X GSR
I canā€™t get past the missing arm rest as petty as it may be. Iā€™m also wondering about the daily driveability from the 1.6L three cylinder engineā€¦. is it going to feel gutless when driving normally under 4000 eng rpm from a traffic signal? I do like the ā€œ valueā€ of the core + front/rear LSD package though.

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
I canā€™t get past the missing arm rest as petty as it may be. Iā€™m also wondering about the daily driveability from the 1.6L three cylinder engineā€¦. is it going to feel gutless when driving normally under 4000 eng rpm from a traffic signal? I do like the ā€œ valueā€ of the core + front/rear LSD package though.
I'm with you on this. No arm rest seems super annoying. They are cool cars but to think they wouldn't have the same ADM drama is nieve at best.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Also how dated is the Corolla platform? Hasn't been out for over 4 years?

arsing116

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ GRC CE, 23ā€™ Civic Si (Sold), 14ā€™ Evo X GSR
I'm with you on this. No arm rest seems super annoying. They are cool cars but to think they wouldn't have the same ADM drama is nieve at best.
A dealer near me had a Core with LSD package and cold package available in white somehow. They sent that info out in their email blast and it sold a few hours after that. It went for 5k over.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
There's no doubt that the Civic is a better all-around car. More refined, more modern, more spacious, etc., etc. If someone is merely in the market for a "car" and are cross-shopping the GR Corolla and Type R, I think that the Civic wins hands down. But as a weekend toy? Or as something special to sit on for 20 years? I think the GR has a lot to offer.

100hp/cylinder? Basic hatchback body with 4WD and trick differentials thrown at it? It's practically a modern day Lancia Integrale. Pretty cool. (I'd still rather have the Type R, that being said.)

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Also how dated is the Corolla platform? Hasn't been out for over 4 years?
It's based on the TNG-C platform, which is about 4 years old. The GR Corolla received additional spot welds, so it's a stiffer platform. I wouldn't say it's that old of an platform. The 11th gen Civic is based on an updated 10th gen platform to put things in perspective.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Can't really judge how usable an engine's power band is based on its size.

Here's a stock GR Yaris:
11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R FL5 vs. Toyota GR Corolla showdown! Comparison review by Motortrend 1671478895927

It hits most of its torque before 3k rpm. It's all in the hardware combination and tuning.

For example, the 2.0 Accord has way more low end torque than the 2.0 in the Type R. Different combination hardware and tuning even though they're both "2.0".

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
The CTR is probably as close as you can find to a car that has it all.
The GRC looks to be a brilliant effort from Toyota, since they refused to send us the GR Yaris, but the Type R still seems like the keeper as a daily driver.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
It's too bad Toyota decided to use the Corolla platform. It's not small as a Yaris but it's not big enough to be practical as a Civic. t's in a weird position. The Corolla hatchback really loses on practicality compared to the Civic. The Civic is almost as spacious as a Camry.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
It's too bad Toyota decided to use the Corolla platform. It's not small as a Yaris but it's not big enough to be practical as a Civic. t's in a weird position. The Corolla hatchback really loses on practicality compared to the Civic. The Civic is almost as spacious as a Camry.
My thoughts exactly. Especially if the Corolla will grown in it's next update probably 1 or 2 years away.
Sponsored