• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2023 CTR transmission issue?

kimmie255

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
I have been waiting for the new CTR for a while now. I think it's a fantastic car. However, I have heard about the outgoing model having some transmission issues(the infamous 2nd gear grind). It honestly scared me a bit cuz I though Honda was known for making quality manual gearboxes. It seems like the GR Corolla or the GR 86 are a safer bet since those models have been pretty reliable at least drivetrain wise(The GR Yaris shares the same powertrain as the new Gr Corolla and I haven't really heard anything bad about that car). How widespread is this problem for the FK8 platform? And do you think Honda has addressed this issue in the new model?
Sponsored

jsocks014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Trolling on a car that isn’t even out yet? If you’re actually serious, my 8th gen Si had 2nd gear grinding issues once in a while if you shifted too hard at redline. No issues in my 11th. Change fluids, get rid of rev hang, don’t beat on the car too early in its break-in. Shift smoothly in to 2nd, you’re not vin diesel

Bunhyung

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CBP ST
Not sure why you would be so, so concerned considering the car hasn't even been available for public consumption yet.
Anyways, Hondas have a long and storied history with the 1-2 crunch. My 4th gen had it, my 8th gen did it, and my 10th gen Si did it. Shift sensibly and smoothly. Treat it well and it will treat you well.

OP
OP

kimmie255

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Trolling on a car that isn’t even out yet? If you’re actually serious, my 8th gen Si had 2nd gear grinding issues once in a while if you shifted too hard at redline. No issues in my 11th. Change fluids, get rid of rev hang, don’t beat on the car too early in its break-in. Shift smoothly in to 2nd, you’re not vin diesel
Thanks for the reply… I’m not trolling. I was just genuinely curious and I thought people here would have more knowledge than general public does. I love Honda. It seems like it was a pretty common issue for the 10th gen tho? I saw owners complaining about it everywhere. And it seems like the new gen is largely sharing the drivetrain with the outgoing one. So it was a concern on my part(don’t get me wrong, the FK8’s a great car but I want the 11th gen to be a better car in every way).I still don’t get why this is trolling. I’m not trash talking the car. I’m just asking questions to people who I though might know more than me.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
🤣👍🏻 you saved me some typing.
100% with what he said!

My 8th Si had the same exact thing!
My 10th Si had it but way less. Then I switched to Amsoil in the MT and it felt like butter.

Just follow your Maint. Intervals, don’t drive like a nugget, and you’ll be fine OP. 👍🏻

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
I haven't driven the 10th gen CTR, but my 9th gen Si had that 2nd gear crunch maybe twice. I always just assumed it was my own driver error until I saw some people talk about it online. Keep in mind you're always going to hear more about it from the people who have it than those who don't.
Whether its 100% fixed or not for the 11th gen CTR I'm not worried.

Last edited:

jsocks014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Nissan Titan Pro-4x
All good, it’s not uncommon for people to hop on other forums to start bashing a car that isn’t out, especially the type R. Honda transmissions are smooth shifting but everything has limits. After grinding second gear a few times, you learn quick how hard you can shift haha.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
I've been driving Hondas for 20+ years and people that have grinding issues and are original owner is bc they shift to fast. Learn to drive, don't shift it like need for speed. Synchro need to catch up. Honda doesn't make weak transmissions, bad drivers just ruin it and blame the car. Half new owners of the fk8 never even drove stick and think they know more than Honda engineers.

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
I've been driving Hondas for 20+ years and people that have grinding issues and are original owner is bc they shift to fast. Learn to drive, don't shift it like need for speed. Synchro need to catch up. Honda doesn't make weak transmissions, bad drivers just ruin it and blame the car. Half new owners of the fk8 never even drove stick and think they know more than Honda engineers.
I agree with you. Honda makes one of the best transmissions. This is recognized by the professional drivers

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
🤣👍🏻 you saved me some typing.
100% with what he said!

My 8th Si had the same exact thing!
My 10th Si had it but way less. Then I switched to Amsoil in the MT and it felt like butter.

Just follow your Maint. Intervals, don’t drive like a nugget, and you’ll be fine OP. 👍🏻
Me too, my Si's 2nd gear felt a bit off at times, I switched to Amsoil MTF and it has been much improved.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Hondas have notchy 2nd gears, they don't grind and they work as intended, but they can feel notchy in some driving and weather conditions. I have always found a switch in tranny fluid makes a difference and Amsoil MTF has always been my go to fluid for Hondas.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Lots of Hondas have notchy 2nd gears, they don't grind and they work as intended, but they can feel notchy in some driving and weather conditions. I have always found a switch in tranny fluid makes a difference and Amsoil MTF has always been my go to fluid for Hondas.
My 06 si had that and swapped with amsoil for a 90% fix. Some cold weather seemed to make it worse. This is nothing new - the title of the thread by OP seems to intend to implicate issues that don’t exist on a car that has not even been released…..I wonder why?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 06 si had that and swapped with amsoil for a 90% fix. Some cold weather seemed to make it worse. This is nothing new - the title of the thread by OP seems to intend to implicate issues that don’t exist on a car that has not even been released…..I wonder why?
Yeah I understand. The other thing about Honda tranny issues is they almost always happen in cold temps, and in slow speed (Granny shifting) conditions. The trannies are designed for high rpm shifting and they always work flawlessly at higher rpms when shifted properly, you get used to the occasional shifting issue. The CTR and the S2000 had clutch delay valves that introduced some issues at times, and people tried to modify the clutch slaves to get rid of the delay valves. I think they got more bad press than they deserved because of that. Lets see how the new CTR makes out before passing judgment on the tranny , I am sure they will be more than adequate.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Yeah I understand. The other thing about Honda tranny issues is they almost always happen in cold temps, and in slow speed (Granny shifting) conditions. The trannies are designed for high rpm shifting and they always work flawlessly at higher rpms when shifted properly, you get used to the occasional shifting issue. The CTR and the S2000 had clutch delay valves that introduced some issues at times, and people tried to modify the clutch slaves to get rid of the delay valves. I think they got more bad press than they deserved because of that. Lets see how the new CTR makes out before passing judgment on the tranny , I am sure they will be more than adequate.
Right, i do seem to remember it was lower revs only. A little crunchy and grabby in 2nd. It sounds like that was almost non existent in the 10th gen. I only expect the 11th to be even better.
Sponsored