• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TLX Type-S / 2023 Civic Type-R / 2024 HRV EXL
Ok I have been wanting to do this for a while since I think that the FL5 and Si got some parts mixed up as far as the interior trim accents go ( at least IMO :wave: )
So I liked the fact the when the FL5 was introduced that they went away from the gloss trim that was around the A/C vents and went to a more Matte/ Satin finish… but where I thought they kind of cheaper out was with the silver trim that was on all the base models accept for the Si… the Si had the nice red anodized finish like the FK8 had…. So after looking through the Si parts list I found the items needed to make the switch of a “few” parts to get the desired look I wanted for my car.
Here is a sneak picture of what the two cars combined parts look like together…
I will update this post in a few days once the larger center section is finished….
One thing to note that this is a total PITA to do… :banghead:

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 1

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 2

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 10

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 3

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 4

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 5

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 6

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 7

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 8

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 9
Sponsored

Last edited:

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I’m looking forward to seeing this car in person! You’ve made a lot of nice little upgrades already! We seem cut from the same cloth.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This is great, very excited to see the finished product this mod is right up my alley.

OP
OP
JDM_DOHC_SiR

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m looking forward to seeing this car in person! You’ve made a lot of nice little upgrades already! We seem cut from the same cloth.
Thank you…
Always be a kind of OEM+ person not wanting to deviate to far from how the car came from the factory.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
These look like they'll add some missing pop - can't wait to see the finished result!

OP
OP
JDM_DOHC_SiR

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally received the last item I ordered to finish this up.... will be posting the completed vents this week. so far it looks great!! ... but a lot of work to get this done! ... Didn't want the Gloss front the Si in the CTR...:thumbsdown:

OP
OP
JDM_DOHC_SiR

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright ... finally finished this was the most nerve racking thing to perform that I have done in a while... I "highly" suggest if you don't have the patients, time and mechanical skills to to tackle this job "don't" try it your self :crazy:
Now the upside of doing this is that it totally adds to what the dash was missing in my opinion a little character, now I have notices that a few people have swapped over the Si full piece into the FL5 but the gloss black really clashes and I liked the satin/flat look of the OEM FL5 trim.
So here are the final pictures of it installed and what some of the back sides of the parts look like after the modes were completed.:coffee:

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 1

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 2

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 3

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 4

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 5

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 6

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 7

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 8

11th Gen Honda Civic Frankenstein A/C vent trim update with Si Red Trim Ring FL5 AC vent Si swap 9

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Alright ... finally finished this was the most nerve racking thing to perform that I have done in a while... I "highly" suggest if you don't have the patients, time and mechanical skills to to tackle this job "don't" try it your self :crazy:
Now the upside of doing this is that it totally adds to what the dash was missing in my opinion a little character, now I have notices that a few people have swapped over the Si full piece into the FL5 but the gloss black really clashes and I liked the satin/flat look of the OEM FL5 trim.
So here are the final pictures of it installed and what some of the back sides of the parts look like after the modes were completed.:coffee:

FL5 AC vent Si swap 1.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 2.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 3.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 4.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 5.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 6.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 7.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 8.jpg

FL5 AC vent Si swap 9.jpg
Definitely more becoming of a Type R interior.

OP
OP
JDM_DOHC_SiR

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! I'm trying to track down some rattle noise. I think its coming from the ac vent trim on the left of the steering wheel. How did you remove the trims without scratching the dashboard? Did you have an instruction manual?
Thanks.

As far as the trim removal I taped up the area around the dash and trim panel itself, then used a microfiber towel with a panel pry tool these panels come off pretty easy but the main A/C panel is secured very well with clips and takes a good bit off effort to remove .. just take your time and prep the panels well and you should not have any issues with scratching them:thumbsup:

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Looks like you had to do some plastic soldering there so this isn't going to be for everyone - props to going forward on this mod.

Should look like this stock - killer results man.

OP
OP
JDM_DOHC_SiR

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you had to do some plastic soldering there so this isn't going to be for everyone - props to going forward on this mod.

Should look like this stock - killer results man.
Thank you.

Yes plastic soldering was needed for 29 tabs:confused1: ….. was very nerve racking cutting the original tabs off so that I could leave enough back on them to melt the tabs again to secure the parts back on….
You can see in a picture above where the badge is what the original melted tab looked like.:banghead:
Sponsored