• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

A Preview of Next-Gen Civic Powertrain

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Last edited:

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
Now I know why my 2.0L 6MT is so amazing at coasting with fuel shut-off. It's probably very similar to the power plant used in the Hybrids.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 6AT
1.5L VTEC Turbo engine? I thought the 1.5T engines were just VTC?

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2022 Civic Touring Sedan
That powerplant, the dual motor configuration that Honda now uses, is brilliant. I think short of full battery EV, this powertrain with a PHEV config like the Clarity PHEV is the best overall eco, performance and reduced cost of daily operation option. If that new CRV was PHEV, I am pretty sure we would be looking seriously at switching CRVs to one next year. The Clarity already more than covers daily commute range (In EV only mode) for either myself or my wife and we have the ability to put a level 2 charger in the garage right now.

Further, with the massive torque that electric motors deliver at all RPM, other than the tuned acceleration profile in the software and the batteries max safe amp output, electrics are going to leave ICE in the dust. I am not at all a Tesla fan but where electric motors themselves are just far and away superior to all ICE (Other than the sad loss of all those sweet sweet exhaust noises), I look forward to the arrival of a 200+ hp Civic EV that has insta-torque from off the line. If this hybrid powertrain helps Honda work it all out for the future, I say bring it on.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
We love our CR-V. It is a great car with a ton of room. The current styling of the front is a bit homely and the 2020 definitely is an improvement in the grill area. Not a big fan of the black plastic front bumper though. I'm curious to see if those exhaust finishers are on any other trims besides the touring. The new wheels are much better looking too.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
1.5L VTEC Turbo engine? I thought the 1.5T engines were just VTC?
Honda is using VTEC as just a marketing term at this point for some of their engines. In some markets the Civic has VTEC labeled on the engine cover of the 1.5t.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
Well, Honda's going to need to swing for the fences to reach 54.5 MPGs for CAFE but, at a 50% improvement in city mileage at least... they're heading the right way and should be getting close.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Further, with the massive torque that electric motors deliver at all RPM, other than the tuned acceleration profile in the software and the batteries max safe amp output, electrics are going to leave ICE in the dust.
GREAT -- those idiots who are always jumping between lanes to gain one additional car length lead, will just love that !!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
"Additional in-vehicle technology includes a color TFT driver-information interface (DII) center meter display, available 7-inch touchscreen Display Audio interface with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration, and an available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™"

Seen that before --- and what did it end up being ... -- The addition of a Volume Knob on 2019 models, on a head Unit designed in the 90's !!

And sorry, but "Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™" (Honda-Garmin), totally sucks. It might have been cutting edge in the 90's, but today it is total, featureless, RUBBISH.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R; 03' EVO;
This all seems to verify that my dealer was right about the future of the TypeR. 11th gen will be a hybrid and 2020 will be a half year production, then no more TypeR.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No thanks. Hopefully my CTR will last forever.
Hybrid crap.
I’m really confused here. What exactly is bad about hybrids?? Remember there are things other than the Prius that are classified as hybrids...

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Other than making the cars more expensive, complicated and costlier to maintain?

You mean like the NSX? Everything the NSX does it could have done without the hybrid system. This would have made the car cheaper and appeal more to the market.

I’m really confused here. What exactly is bad about hybrids?? Remember there are things other than the Prius that are classified as hybrids...

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about the Accord Hybrid then? It’s not that much more expensive compared to the gas version and the gas savings more than make up for it.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R; 03' EVO;
Hybrids aren't a proven thing yet in the automotive world. We have guinea pigs right now. Most people want to stick to the pure breed tech. Also, we spent a lot of money on our cars this gen. We are resistant to change and loss of money. The case would have to be very compelling and right now, I don't care what comes out in the next few years. I'm keeping my 2019 and paying it off.
Sponsored