• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any of you “downgrading” to get into an FL5?

BigBart33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ATS-V M6, formerly FK8
This is primarily directed towards people who will have the FL5 as their only car or 90% car (eg. not necessarily people weekending their 911s and dailying an FL5, though your input is appreciated too).

I had an FK8 and it was the best car I’ve ever owned. Loved the connection I had with the car, the simplicity, the reliability, the fairly basic but decently equipped and cool looking interior, the engine, the transmission (the shifter and clutch were top-tier), and of course the looks. Basically I just loved that fucking car.

I went to an M2 thinking it would be a huge upgrade based off of the reviews I’d read and it was a big disappointment in a lot of ways. Yeah it was faster, it was more refined, the interior was a nice place, but all the things that made me feel connected to the Type R were missing in the BMW. I sold it and reflected for a while and ended up in an ATS-V. The ATS-V is truly a good enthusiast’s car, refined like the M2 but with a raw edge kind of like the Type R. And very fast. Basically what I’d expect from a true luxury sports car.

With that said, I still miss my Type R. I miss how easy it was to throw around, never having to worry about reliability even after beating the shit out of it, and honestly it’s lack of serious refinement. I’m curious if any of you are in a similar position? Where the FL5 could almost universally be considered a downgrade, but you’re still going to or are seriously considering purchasing the car? The Integra Type S is another option as well but idk, just love the Type R looks and heritage. Main thing I think I may be disappointed about is going back to FWD.

An idea I have right now is get a powerful slightly older RWD sports car, eg. a droptop S197 for burnouts and sunny days, and get an FL5 as well for everything else. Who knows what will happen, most of us probably won’t be able to get into one for a year or two.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
An idea I have right now is get a powerful slightly older RWD sports car, eg. a droptop S197 for burnouts and sunny days, and get an FL5 as well for everything else. Who knows what will happen, most of us probably won’t be able to get into one for a year or two.
Not really downgrading but I have a similar mentality to this. Never owned the FK8 and I really didn't bat an eye after them until I had my GT350 and learned about all of the potential reliability problems in the long term. Similar to you, I want something to thrash around and not worry about reliability.

I already have that weekend car and I want the FL5 to replace my daily driver which is a Scion tC. So its an upgrade mostly in every way possible execpt that I'll be losing heated seats and a sunroof which sucks but I can overlook that because there is way more pros

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
The only thing im downgrading are my expectations that a company should be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with its dealerships and potential customers.

Although im sure the posh interior of my FL1 will surpass, they are indeed two different rides.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I sorta kinda know what you mean. I've owned and driven some serious cars but I think the most fun car I've owned were all Mazdas. Mazdaspeed miata, NC2 PHRT, Mazdaspeed Proteges (x2) and Mazdaspeed6. Powerful and going fast sometimes don't equate to fun to drive.

NillyVanilly

First Name
Mozart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supra 3.0P, 2008 Miata, 2008 Tundra
Kind of similar to OP here. I have a 2021 Supra 3.0P i am looking to trade in for the new 2023 Type R. The 2021 Type R was one of my options when i got my Supra but i could never get over the looks and trying to show up to my job and stuff in that car was just going to make people think less than me unfortunately. I actually love the Supra, its an absolute riot. Its blisteringly quick and responsive, makes all the right noises, gets great MPG, its a super comfortable daily but i find myself still leaning towards my miata on nice days anyways. I have two 2 seater vehicles and a lifted old Tundra with 260k miles. I need a more practical in between daily between my Miata and the truck i use for plowing and property duties. The Supra and Miata sit in the garage for months during the winter as i get stuck with 10MPG V8 truck blandness. I totally get what you mean though. Even though the Supra is fun and WAY more powerful(too powerful sometimes) than the Miata, there's something about using 100% of what you got VS having to feather a car so you don't die lol. Faster does not equal funner or better. I learned that when i got rid of my Civic SI for a Newer VW GTi.

atlcivic

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 1M
I know I’m a rare case but I’m actually cross shopping between the new type r and the upcoming M2. I’ve owned BMWs my whole life but I need a more practical daily that has 4 doors, is reliable, and ideally doesn’t cost too much. I don’t want to spend M2 money but I know what I’m going to get with it. Personally I’m worried I may miss the build quality and rwd, so someone else convince me that I won’t care about those things if I were to get into a type r lol.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo 8, 89 civic si,FK8
I feel I kinda downgraded when I bought my FK8 coming from the EVO 8, which I still have. But my FK8 is a little more fun to drive especially the turning ration and hey,......it's a Type R, which I always wanted ever since. Now debating if I should get the FL5 and finish my collection.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I feel I kinda downgraded when I bought my FK8 coming from the EVO 8, which I still have. But my FK8 is a little more fun to drive especially the turning ration and hey,......it's a Type R, which I always wanted ever since. Now debating if I should get the FL5 and finish my collection.
I always figured the Evo would be a more uncivilized drive and have more of an "alive" feel when hooning around town. I also thought that the CTR would've had a nicer interior... Am I way off here?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I always figured the Evo would be a more uncivilized drive and have more of an "alive" feel when hooning around town. I also thought that the CTR would've had a nicer interior... Am I way off here?
I remember driving a Evo 8 when it just came out. I couldn't afford it then but remembered feeling like what a jet fighter equivalent of a car was. Very rarely have I jumped in a car and felt 100% comfortable to drive to its limits.

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
I know I’m a rare case but I’m actually cross shopping between the new type r and the upcoming M2. I’ve owned BMWs my whole life but I need a more practical daily that has 4 doors, is reliable, and ideally doesn’t cost too much. I don’t want to spend M2 money but I know what I’m going to get with it. Personally I’m worried I may miss the build quality and rwd, so someone else convince me that I won’t care about those things if I were to get into a type r lol.
I think a lot of people are cross shopping the M2 with this

My trimmed down shopping list included the Lotus Evora, Cayman GTS 4.0, Supra, M2, and M3.

Hard to ignore that the Type-R is significantly cheaper, easier to maintain, more reliable, and more practical (except for maybe the M3). Plus the parts you interact with the most, the seats and shifter, are as good as it gets.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I think a lot of people are cross shopping the M2 with this

My trimmed down shopping list included the Lotus Evora, Cayman GTS 4.0, Supra, M2, and M3.

Hard to ignore that the Type-R is significantly cheaper, easier to maintain, more reliable, and more practical (except for maybe the M3). Plus the parts you interact with the most, the seats and shifter, are as good as it gets.
You nailed it right on the head. I also am crossing shopping the M2. But the R makes more logical sense from a family man perspective, let alone the practicality. I also love the history of the car itself.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I doubt alot of people are cross shopping a 70k car to a 40k one… same as people are cross shopping million dollar house to a 500k one. M2 is a coupe thats basically a 2 seater and almost useless in the winter without tires, other is a hot hatch which is basically a civic in use ability. M2 is a great second car for a C level exec.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I doubt alot of people are cross shopping a 70k car to a 40k one… same as people are cross shopping million dollar house to a 500k one. M2 is a coupe thats basically a 2 seater and almost useless in the winter without tires, other is a hot hatch which is basically a civic in use ability. M2 is a great second car for a C level exec.
I owned a RS5, S5, Golf R and many many GTI"s and European cars and am in love with said $40K car.

If you're a gearhead at heart, the price of the vehicle doesn't change your love for it. Just because you are upper management within a corporate environment doesn't mean you only want said price ranged vehicles (as a gear head). If rhey have no real passion for cars than you are correct.

Most of the more wealthy gearheads would buy the R and just not keep for a long period. But it would for sure be considered. They just move onto new toys much sooner.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
You have it backwards, the R is an upgrade.