• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any of you “downgrading” to get into an FL5?

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Oh yeah, this one! Totally forgot about it.

Sadly the turning radius is enormous in practical use. It's a little embarrassing to have to reverse so many times in tight parking lots with such a tiny car.
Sponsored

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
Bumping this thread as this is really relevant to my situation now. I currently have a 718 GT4 as well as a 992 Targa and previously owned a M2C.

Debating my next car and was going between 718 Boxster GTS or G82 M2. However, been watching reviews of the FL5 and how wonderful it is. Not to mention the practicality. This is now on my radar. Personally, I care more about the shifter feel and from what I heard, this FL5 harkens back to the 90s Honda shifter

sholzer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
987.2 Cayman S
Bumping this thread as this is really relevant to my situation now. I currently have a 718 GT4 as well as a 992 Targa and previously owned a M2C.

Debating my next car and was going between 718 Boxster GTS or G82 M2. However, been watching reviews of the FL5 and how wonderful it is. Not to mention the practicality. This is now on my radar. Personally, I care more about the shifter feel and from what I heard, this FL5 harkens back to the 90s Honda shifter
Considered a 6 speed G80 (and g80 x drive) and the FL5, FL5 shifter is MUCH better than the BMW.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

You have a nice stable of automobiles. Are you getting rid of any of the vehicles you currently own to pick up the 718 Boxster GTS, G87 M2 (I think you meant G87 and not G82), or the FL5?

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom

I went from an FK8 to an M2 Comp manual to a G80 manual to an FL5. I prefer my FL5 over the G80 for several reasons: 1) Shifter feel - the G80's shifter is decent but a bit rubbery, 2) MPG's - I can get 30 MPG on the highway in the FL5, in the G80 I could only manage 22, 3) Rear Seat room - Although the FL5 has 1 less seat, the leg room is far superior, my family prefers going on road trips in the FL5. They all thought that the G80 was cramped in the back. 4) Curb Appeal - Although the G80 looked aggressive, I never looked back at it after parking. It's a face only a mother can love;) 5) Emotionality - I never could bond with my M3, it was a bit numb, you needed to be traveling high speeds in order to explore the limits of the car, 6) $$$ - I got to drive my G80 for a year and 12000 miles for free with the trade in money I was offered. I actually ended up making more money than what I paid for the car (sold the G80 to a BMW dealership), 7) Trunk Storage - I was able to pack for a 1000 mile road trip with 4 days of luggage and food for 4 people. The trunk in the G80 is ok but not as practical, 8) Seats - G80's standard seats are incredible, they can adjust for every body type. The seats in the FL5 are better, not significantly better, but better. On a 1-10 scale, I'd give the G80 seats a 9 and the FL5 seats a 9.5

Here are some pros for the G80: Acceleration is GREAT and I think that the suspension is better able to deal with rough pavement. Adding tons of power is fairly easy to do and from what I understand, there is alot of headroom. The heads up display, heated steering wheel, and heated seats are game changers. You tend to appreciate those items when you are older (close to 50) and live in the Northeast. I'm going to explore installing a heated steering wheel out of the Type S in the near future. And finally, the carbon fiber roof on the M3 is CRAZY! I love it!

When making your decision you should consider ADMIN. I think at 44K the FL5 makes sense. At 5K + MSPR it's very expensive and I don't think it's worth the money. At 10K + MSRP, it's a ripoff. Keep in mind that the dealer will typically make money/screw you on the trade. I definitely overpaid for my FL5 but it was an emotional purchase. I'm trying to relive my youth one last time before jumping on the electric bandwagon.

In summery the FL5 makes a strong case for a daily driver given a certain price point, especially if you have a family. Let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited:

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
You have a nice stable of automobiles. Are you getting rid of any of the vehicles you currently own to pick up the 718 Boxster GTS, G87 M2 (I think you meant G87 and not G82), or the FL5?
Yes, you're absolutely correct, I mean the G87 M2. I will probably get rid of my 2019 BMW X5 that has over 65K miles. The X5 has been great, but it is huge and I don't really need true daily driver, so the FL5 may take up that mantle.

I went from an FK8 to an M2 Comp manual to a G80 manual to an FL5. I prefer my FL5 over the G80 for several reasons: 1) Shifter feel - the G80's shifter is decent but a bit rubbery, 2) MPG's - I can get 30 MPG on the highway in the FL5, in the G80 I could only manage 22, 3) Rear Seat room - Although the FL5 has 1 less seat, the leg room is far superior, my family prefers going on road trips in the FL5. They all thought that the G80 was cramped in the back. 4) Curb Appeal - Although the G80 looked aggressive, I never looked back at it after parking. It's a face only a mother can love;) 5) Emotionality - I never could bond with my M3, it was a bit numb, you needed to be traveling high speeds in order to explore the limits of the car, 6) $$$ - I got to drive my G80 for a year and 12000 miles for free with the trade in money I was offered. I actually ended up making more money than what I paid for the car (sold the G80 to a BMW dealership), 7) Trunk Storage - I was able to pack for a 1000 mile road trip with 4 days of luggage and food for 4 people. The trunk in the G80 is ok but not as practical, 8) Seats - G80's standard seats are incredible, they can adjust for every body type. The seats in the FL5 are better, not significantly better, but better. On a 1-10 scale, I'd give the G80 seats a 9 and the FL5 seats a 9.5

Here are some pros for the G80: Acceleration is GREAT and I think that the suspension is better able to deal with rough pavement. Adding tons of power is fairly easy to do and from what I understand, there is alot of headroom. The heads up display, heated steering wheel, and heated seats are game changers. You tend to appreciate those items when you are older (close to 50) and live in the Northeast. I'm going to explore installing a heated steering wheel out of the Type S in the near future. And finally, the carbon fiber roof on the M3 is CRAZY! I love it!

When making your decision you should consider ADMIN. I think at 44K the FL5 makes sense. At 5K + MSPR it's very expensive and I don't think it's worth the money. At 10K + MSRP, it's a ripoff. Keep in mind that the dealer will typically make money/screw you on the trade. I definitely overpaid for my FL5 but it was an emotional purchase. I'm trying to relive my youth one last time before jumping on the electric bandwagon.

In summery the FL5 makes a strong case for a daily driver given a certain price point, especially if you have a family. Let us know what you decide to do.
I agree with you on so many of these points (except the driving experience lol, looking for the day I get some seat time)! Especially the fact that I will not be paying over MSRP for the FL5. Sure, it will be a wait, but I am in no rush.

Glad to hear the FL5 can be a hauler. The practicality is really unmatched with the lift back. And oh my, I keep thinking about the shifter and how everyone says it is such a truly wonderful experience. I had one person tell me after driving back to back with a 718 that it is even better than the Porsche!

At this rate, I have not 100% made my decision. I would love to go to a dealer (presumably charging ADM) and just have the opportunity to sit and row the shifter to get a sense.

It is really refreshing to hear so many of you that have gone "upmarket" and realized how great Honda delivers on its enthusiast vehicles.

I was having a conversation with a friend and we came to the conclusion that at a certain point, you just want something that engages you. The speed is irrelevant...although I will raise my hand as I am still hesitant on it being FWD. But that is just my old habits being so use to RWD, etc

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
At my dealership, we've been noticing a lot of "downgrading" to the FL5. A couple guys that can easily afford multiple marked-up FL5s are inquiring about it. One of ours sold to a guy that owns a G80 M3. FL5 owners seem to mostly consist of former FK8 owners, as well as BMW and Porsche owners

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
At my dealership, we've been noticing a lot of "downgrading" to the FL5. A couple guys that can easily afford multiple marked-up FL5s are inquiring about it. One of ours sold to a guy that owns a G80 M3. FL5 owners seem to mostly consist of former FK8 owners, as well as BMW and Porsche owners
This is an interesting situation where you have buyers from all across the spectrum. I don't think there was ever a time previously like this. Any remotely desirable car coming out is going to be faced with this. Especially when a manufacture mutters the word, "the last of...before hybridization".

Even take my situation where I doubt I am unique. At this point, I am just waiting for what is available first. Whether that is a 718 GTS 4.0 or if I get lucky during a random call on a FL5. Both are incredibly difficult to get and both have ADMs. Granted, I am not desperate enough to pay ADM, but here is a long-time Porsche guy who is buying a 718 because he could not buy a FL5 LOL!

Fingers crossed things change in a year...but doubtful

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Yes, you're absolutely correct, I mean the G87 M2. I will probably get rid of my 2019 BMW X5 that has over 65K miles. The X5 has been great, but it is huge and I don't really need true daily driver, so the FL5 may take up that mantle.

I agree with you on so many of these points (except the driving experience lol, looking for the day I get some seat time)! Especially the fact that I will not be paying over MSRP for the FL5. Sure, it will be a wait, but I am in no rush.

Glad to hear the FL5 can be a hauler. The practicality is really unmatched with the lift back. And oh my, I keep thinking about the shifter and how everyone says it is such a truly wonderful experience. I had one person tell me after driving back to back with a 718 that it is even better than the Porsche!

At this rate, I have not 100% made my decision. I would love to go to a dealer (presumably charging ADM) and just have the opportunity to sit and row the shifter to get a sense.

It is really refreshing to hear so many of you that have gone "upmarket" and realized how great Honda delivers on its enthusiast vehicles.

I was having a conversation with a friend and we came to the conclusion that at a certain point, you just want something that engages you. The speed is irrelevant...although I will raise my hand as I am still hesitant on it being FWD. But that is just my old habits being so use to RWD, etc
You hit on several points I agree with. Once you go through the ownership lifecycle of several cars and mature as an enthusiast, it's less about power and speed and more about the feelings it emits from you. How does it make you feel when you drive it, when you look at it, when you sit in it?

The FL5 is far from the fastest car I've owned, but it feels special to me in many ways. I believe this is a feeling shared by others when you see people flocking to this car from across the entire enthusiast spectrum.

To touch on your inquiry into shifter feel: The transmission in the FL5 is fantastic. It's not quite as good as the gearbox in my 718 GT4 but it's incredibly good and one of the best manual transmissions I've ever driven. The throws are precise and relatively short, just enough of a mechanical "notchy" feel, excellent weight to the shift knob, and solid clutch feel with good pedal placement/spacing. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
@Clark_Kent glad to see a fellow GT4 owner with a FL5. Porsche and Honda are truly two manufactures that really focuses on motorsports within their respective series. And provides that race to road technology share.

Good to know the GT4 shifter still wins out, but I also understand now the FL5 shifter feel is better than the GTS 4.0. Congrats on the fantastic combo!

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

If you are ever in Ct drop me a line, I'll let you drive my car. On a side note, my brother, who owns a 2019 GT3RS, got to track a 992 GT3 manual. Shockingly, he said that the FL5's manual was slightly better!

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
@rob495 That is incredibly kind and generous of you! I will take you up on that offer if I'm still unable even get a chance to sit in one, let alone drive one.

I see you also have an Ariel Atom! Wow, that about a visceral experience. What a great collection of different driving experiences

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rob495 That is incredibly kind and generous of you! I will take you up on that offer if I'm still unable even get a chance to sit in one, let alone drive one.

I see you also have an Ariel Atom! Wow, that about a visceral experience. What a great collection of different driving experiences
Thank you! The Atom is a different kind of drive. It's a very temperamental car, very hard to drive but so RAW. It's extremely exciting!
Sponsored