• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone else hurrying to buy 11th gen because of its interior UI?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Maybe I'm tilting at windmills here, but...

I think many carmakers' interior controls are getting more complicated, thereby more unsafe and difficult to use. I already hate touch-sensitive controls anywhere but on a screen (I turned off the swipe-to-change-volume on the steering wheel of my wife's CR-V) and I loathed the Tesla Model 3's entire UI (steering wheel context-changing buttons included) when I had a short test drive.

Right now, the 11th gen Civic's dash controls and layout makes more sense to me than any other carmaker's. I like my 10th gen's setup already, and the 11th's tweaks are just that much better. But because every car brand changes things regularly, and even though none of us have seen any 12th gen leaks or info, I'm afraid of Honda screwing it up.

I've always kept my cars for a long time (12-15 years on average), but now, I'm expecting to change cars much quicker than usual. At the latest, I'll base my decision on the first 12th gen leaks whenever they appear.

(this is coming to mind as I'm getting ready to check out new Hyundai Tuscons for my sister-in-law... yeah, the Tuscon with the dash UI that Savagegeese can't fucking stand)
Sponsored

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
The 11th gen has been out a year. You've got at least 4 more years of the 11th gen before the 12th gen makes an appearance.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Honda heard the backlash on the 10th gen civic when there was no volume knob, I don't think they want to repeat that again. But you never know what smart engineer comes up with next time around. I love the touch controls on my Civic, the tactile feel and sensation is excellent, something many people don't think of in the overall picture.

small

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2013 Subaru WRX STI
What I like about the 11th gen interior (controls, Infotainment etc) is they make sense, not complicated to navigate and very simple. The only thing that I want them to add is a shortcut to the Rev Matching option.

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
Soon, you're going to have to pay an extra $10k for real knobs and buttons. In these modern times, it's called progress.

OP
OP
BarracksSi

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 11th gen has been out a year. You've got at least 4 more years of the 11th gen before the 12th gen makes an appearance.
Right, but like I said, I normally keep my cars a long time. So even buying an 11th gen four years from now would be five years ahead of schedule for me.

OP
OP
BarracksSi

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon, you're going to have to pay an extra $10k for real knobs and buttons. In these modern times, it's called progress.
noooooooo (facepalm) lol

OP
OP
BarracksSi

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda heard the backlash on the 10th gen civic when there was no volume knob, I don't think they want to repeat that again. But you never know what smart engineer comes up with next time around.
I hope they stay with what works best and not try to overthink things from the shelter of a development lab.

Savagegeese's recent video where they talked with Toyota interior design engineers had a moment when an engineer suggested putting the seat heater controls in the screen menus because "they're just seasonal anyway". Cripes.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I hope they stay with what works best and not try to overthink things from the shelter of a development lab.

Savagegeese's recent video where they talked with Toyota interior design engineers had a moment when an engineer suggested putting the seat heater controls in the screen menus because "they're just seasonal anyway". Cripes.
Honda and Toyota in the US are based out of California, sometimes I think they forget about the rest of the Country because of that centric viewpoint.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
I doubt Civic will continue past this gen since Honda will probably be done with ICE by the end of it. If anything there might still be a hybrid.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I doubt Civic will continue past this gen since Honda will probably be done with ICE by the end of it. If anything there might still be a hybrid.
I doubt Honda will throw away the name recognition of the civic after 50 years just because they're electrifying the lineup. I know a lot of other brands are doing away with old nameplates and fully replacing with new EV names (Kia/Hyundai for example). But I suspect Honda will want to keep the name recognition and history of its nameplates like civic, accord, etc alive as they move into EV territory. Hybrids first. Then full EV. I could see lesser known/historied models like HRV being replaced, but civic, accord, crv, will most likely stick around and just make the move to EV eventually.

But they're still a ways out (comparatively to other brands) in their EV goals. Once they introduce the Prologue built by GM they'll introduce their own in-house EV platforms (probably underpinning the two sports cars they teased and maybe one more crossover), and then are already partnered with GM for platforms that will serve as launching points for smaller more affordable cars and crossovers (civic, accord, crv, etc). This is realistically probably close to a decade away still... I figure we'll still see ICE/hybrid 12th gen civics, and MAYBE the 13th generation would be the first EV civic.

Other brands like Kia, Hyundai are swapping out all their nameplates because their names just don't carry the weight and history the civic or accord does (forte, elantra, sonata, etc). Looking at other automakers some are actually bringing back old/dead nameplates for their EV adoption or adapting existing nameplates (Buick Electra, Mustang Mach E, Chevy Blazer SS EV, etc).

OP
OP
BarracksSi

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But they're still a ways out (comparatively to other brands) in their EV goals. Once they introduce the Prologue built by GM they'll introduce their own in-house EV platforms (probably underpinning the two sports cars they teased and maybe one more crossover), and then are already partnered with GM for platforms that will serve as launching points for smaller more affordable cars and crossovers (civic, accord, crv, etc). This is realistically probably close to a decade away still... I figure we'll still see ICE/hybrid 12th gen civics, and MAYBE the 13th generation would be the first EV civic.
I've read that Honda is partnering with Sony for an EV platform, with a target of 2025 for delivery. They're saying that this might be a whole different brand, though (right?), so for now, I'll only wonder and hope that the Civic continues, in name and size segment, through the transition to EVs.

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
Looks like the Japanese are willing to let North America take one of their own.