• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on backup plans if all the Type Rs in your local area are asking $15-20k over MSPR (or something similarly ridiculous). My goal might be aspirational, but I'm willing to pay about $2k over, and I'm willing to wait over a year or two to get that if needed. In the meantime, if prices just go bonkers, I thought I'd go ahead and list my backup cars, and if anyone has any experience with these, a discussion could be pretty fun regarding pros/cons!

My list of backups, not in any particular order:
Elantra N DCT (new)
Cayman (used or new, depending on market conditions)
3.0 Supra (manual)
IS500 if I wanted something special, or an IS350 if I didn't feel like paying the premium for the V8
Sponsored

OP
OP
Toprarnen

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I think the Elantra N is a good value but I can't get over it's exterior design.
Yeah, it's true. When I put the pictures down like you see above, the IS350 is a little pricier but so much better looking, but the Elantra N I feel would be more fun to drive and have more interior room.
The Cayman would be worth the extra wait, given its timeless lines.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
My list of backups, not in any particular order:
Elantra N DCT (new)
Cayman (used or new, depending on market conditions)
3.0 Supra (manual)
IS500 if I wanted something special, or an IS350 if I didn't feel like paying the premium for the V8
Do you need a 4-door? If not, the Cayman is the clear winner here, particularly in 981-form with the 9A1 engine. No comparison. No disrespect, but I couldn't fathom why someone would want an Elanta-N, especially with the Golf R and Toyota GR Corolla available.

Mavis_6963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Sadly, we don't get many options here in the UK.
I think I might just use the money to pay the deposit on a house and rent it out. Hopefully, the interest will fund me a used one after a few years.

OP
OP
Toprarnen

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Do you need a 4-door? If not, the Cayman is the clear winner here, particularly in 981-form with the 9A1 engine. No comparison. No disrespect, but I couldn't fathom why someone would want an Elanta-N, especially with the Golf R and Toyota GR Corolla available.
Speed/fun to drive/price/warranty/passenger comfort/ability to take more than 1 person are all factors on my list of "things to consider".

I feel that the Elantra N would be more of a Driver's car than the Golf GTI (at that price point). The GR Corolla core edition is TBD, but it looks kinda dumb as well

11th Gen Honda Civic Backup plans - what's yours? 2F04%2F2023-Toyota-GR-Corolla-Core-rear-3_4-scaled

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
I'll probably wait and see what they do with the new Integra. Other cars on the list are: GRC, GTI, some Mini variants and lol Kona N.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Speed/fun to drive/price/warranty/passenger comfort/ability to take more than 1 person are all factors on my list of "things to consider".

I feel that the Elantra N would be more of a Driver's car than the Golf GTI (at that price point).
o_O ;):p

I don't know...

AutoGuide reviewed the GTI and Elantra N, and preferred the GTI in nearly all regards except price. They further went on to say that the Elantra N is demanding as a daily (though begrudgingly gave it the "win" due to its affordability). All that being said, I buy my cars subjectively, not objectively, and the Elantra N just happens to reside in my desirability blind spot. Like I said, no disrespect intended. :)

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I have no backup. Its Type R or bust for me. The GRC is cool but its honestly just way too small for me. The Supra is cool too but too expensive and I don't like the seating position because Im and 6'2" that huge pillar on the sill would TKO upon egress and ingress.

No other cars interest me honestly. The upcoming M2C looks really cool but thats just way out of my budget.

Last edited:

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
o_O ;):p

I don't know...

AutoGuide reviewed the GTI and Elantra N, and preferred the GTI in nearly all regards except price. They further went on to say that the Elantra N is demanding as a daily (though begrudgingly gave it the "win" due to its affordability). All that being said, I buy my cars subjectively, not objectively, and the Elantra N just happens to reside in my desirability blind spot. Like I said, no disrespect intended. :)
thats what happens when you get 50 year fat old men with back issues to review sporty cars. Hardcore uncompromised nature of that car is what makes it a blast.
Sponsored