• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Buzz Buzz

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I was born with an incurable disease called OCD. My FL5 has done wonders to mitigate the symptoms; until I heard a slight, but persistent vibration emanating from the right front dash. It wasn’t noticeable to my wife, but to me it was like a never-ending annoyance.

My S2000 was a great teacher in showing me how to find its myriad of rattles, creaks, and clicks. So, out this morning for a drive in the Type R to search and destroy the banes of my driving pleasure.

Maybe you too have driven about feeling for a rattle’s source by touching various parts of the dash, etc., and all the while trying to avoid running over little old ladies, the curb, or worse drawing attention of the local constabulary. It can be very frustrating.

After about 20 minutes, I found it. See photo. It was the left-side glove box closing pin. There is one on each side. The one on the right was seated snuggly, but the one on the opposite side was a bit loose, although it engaged its detent properly. Every time the rpm’s reached ~2.4k the little bugger chimed in with a high-pitched buzz.

When I returned home, I took a small piece of black Gorilla HD tape, and using a paper punch placed a hole in it just smaller than the diameter of the closing pin. The tape was then placed around the closing pin such that it passed through the hole freely, but with just enough tension to stop the noise.

While it can’t be seen when the glove box is closed and isn’t unsightly when open, it totally eliminated the fucking noise! A more elegant solution may come later, but even if it’s for just a few weeks I’ll be happy. And more importantly, if this helps someone else I’ll be ecstatic!

11th Gen Honda Civic Buzz Buzz 8E2740CA-C0C0-4A93-A45A-A6B5A79DADCB

11th Gen Honda Civic Buzz Buzz 0D4C6CF4-EFC3-4FFF-B3FD-CAE8DF75F2E8
Sponsored

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
Awesome post.

Having recently owned a Mercedes I know all about creaks and rattles - it took me months to diagnose and resolve a sunroof creak!!