• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
Yes the new Si is a cleanly styled, classy and well balanced package.

But the rough and ready WRX is looking better to me all the time.

11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX Screenshot_20220104-154753_Gallery

Rear is like a 9th Gen Civic Si set up for Demolition Derby duty with massive badonk-a-donk

11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX Screenshot_20220104-154943_Gallery

11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX Screenshot_20220104-155010_Gallery

Big hood scoop.

Industrial fender flares

A lot of HP and torque

And you won't see one on every corner.

Given the horrible WRX MPG ratings no way would I take it over the Si as a daily.

But as a weekend car...
Sponsored

HRC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Step 2 McLaren 570S
The Si is lighter, has a diff, will likely handle better (both will understeer at their limits), has a much better interior, much better radio and more than likely will be a heck of a lot more reliable. The Si doesn't have the protrusion you mention in the rear bumper (alas Toyota C-HR) and that horrible plastic cladding which is going be a nightmare to keep it from fading. I won't even go into ergonomics, the shifter position on the WRX is awkward, also the shifter historically has been junk. As opposed to the Si which is a dream to shift.

Seriously the only thing lacking in the Si is better brakes and another 25HP (easily fixed with Hondata).

I suppose if you really need AWD then yeah, it's something to consider.

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad they are both available.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I have a 2019 WRX Sport, and I just got my 2022 Honda Civic Si. I love both cars and choosing one over the other is really hard as they both have good points about them. I like the 2022 WRX but I probably will keep my 2019 as the changes are not significant enough for me to jump into a 2022.

My 2019 WRX has plenty of power and it has surprisingly good fuel economy, plus the AWD system is great. It has been completely reliable with zero defects and no warranty work needed.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2019 WRX Sport, and I just got my 2022 Honda Civic Si. I love both cars and choosing one over the other is really hard as they both have good points about them. I like the 2022 WRX but I probably will keep my 2019 as the changes are not that drastic to jump up to a 2022. My 2019 WRX has plenty of power and it has surprisingly good fuel economy, plus the AWD system is great. It has been completely reliable with zero defects and no warranty work needed.
That is really encouraging, thanks!

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is really encouraging, thanks!
Subaru is a great vehicle brand, I owned two of them and I have not had any issues or complaints, and the dealer experience has been better than any other I have dealt with. I really like Hondas having owned dozens of them over the years, but Subaru is also a great brand.

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru is a great vehicle brand, I owned two of them and I have not had any issues or complaints, and the dealer experience has been better than any other I have dealt with. I really like Hondas having owned dozens of them over the years, but Subaru is also a great brand.
Agreed. I had a base model 2005 Subaru Legacy with a manual transmission which I loved. It's been almost all Accords and Civics since then. My biggest concern with the WRX is ride quality. Looking at getting a base model 2022 with the 17" wheels and then swapping out the summer tires for some quieter/smoother riding Pirelli All Seasons.

How would you compare ride quality of your WRX to your new Si?

And is the WRX a lot faster than the Si?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I had a base model 2005 Subaru Legacy with a manual transmission which I loved. It's been almost all Accords and Civics since then. My biggest concern with the WRX is ride quality. Looking at getting a base model 2022 with the 17" wheels and then swapping out the summer tires for some quieter/smoother riding Pirelli All Seasons.

How would you compare ride quality of your WRX to your new Si?

And is the WRX a lot faster than the Si?
Excellent questions. I would say the WRX is a perfect balance between performance and ride comfort, it could still be a great family car if you need one but performs well at the same time. I would say it is a tad less stiff than my Si, and the Si handles slightly better - corners flatter, lighter weight, more tossable, and stiffer ? My WRX has a bit more body roll and understeers at the limit. The 2022 WRX will be on a new chassis platform so it should be more rigid than my model. My WRX is pretty loud on the highway in terms of road noise, not the quietest of cars for some reason, maybe better tires would help. I love the exhaust sound.

My WRX is easier to drive fast , it definitely has more power and torque - 268 hp, and it dyno's higher than the Si, but that is what you expect with a turbo 2.0 L. I think the WRX is a low 14 second car in the 1/4 mile, I was hoping the 2022 would break into the 13's, that is what it deserves IMO. An expert racer could likely launch the AWD WRX harder than what I would and maybe get it to run quicker, I'm afraid to break the diff or tranny so I don't launch it that hard. I like how WRX owners all wave to each other, they are a small close-knit community, maybe Si owners will start doing the same ?

For me it is like choosing between your two children, which one you like best lol.

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent questions. I would say the WRX is a perfect balance between performance and ride comfort, it could still be a great family car if you need one but performs well at the same time. I would say it is a tad less stiff than my Si, and the Si handles slightly better - corners flatter, lighter weight, more tossable, and stiffer ? My WRX has a bit more body roll and understeers at the limit. The 2022 WRX will be on a new chassis platform so it should be more rigid than my model. My WRX is pretty loud on the highway in terms of road noise, not the quietest of cars for some reason, maybe better tires would help. I love the exhaust sound.

My WRX is easier to drive fast , it definitely has more power and torque - 268 hp, and it dyno's higher than the Si, but that is what you expect with a turbo 2.0 L. I think the WRX is a low 14 second car in the 1/4 mile, I was hoping the 2022 would break into the 13's, that is what it deserves IMO. An expert racer could likely launch the AWD WRX harder than what I would and maybe get it to run quicker, I'm afraid to break the diff or tranny so I don't launch it that hard. I like how WRX owners all wave to each other, they are a small close-knit community, maybe Si owners will start doing the same ?

For me it is like choosing between your two children, which one you like best lol.
Thank you VERY MUCH for that informative response! I was already leaning towards the WRX. I should be able to get one for MSRP. Si's have big markups here.

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW SavageGeese just reviewed the Si and are supposed to post a WRX review on Monday.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you VERY MUCH for that informative response! I was already leaning towards the WRX. I should be able to get one for MSRP. Si's have big markups here.
Be sure to drive one as soon as possible, I have no idea how the new model will drive with the new engine and chassis, it should all be better, plus the new interior is updated. I would love to drive one as soon as my dealer gets one, I know I can sell my WRX for a lot of money and a trade up would be pretty easy, they hold their value extremely well.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic type r & 2017 Subaru WRX
The new wrx is definitely on my shortlist along with the GR Corolla as northern mountain roads require AWD. I had a 17 wrx and my experience mirrors zeroptzero's description. I'm hoping the sti uses the same exact motor as the wrx albeit with more boost. I keep seeing hints about the "under stressed 2.4t". I'm hoping that means the power stayed the same due to emissions or economy reasons. I already have a Cobb ap ready for more boost!

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW SavageGeese just reviewed the Si and are supposed to post a WRX review on Monday.
Mark from SG never seems to like the WRX all that much based on past reviews, he is too focused on the torque dip in the mid-range, while it does exist it has never bothered me. I suspect he will be underwhelmed because the engine doesn't make that much more power, and he will not like the exterior styling or the interior . I look forward to his review though.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The new wrx is definitely on my shortlist along with the GR Corolla as northern mountain roads require AWD. I had a 17 wrx and my experience mirrors zeroptzero's description. I'm hoping the sti uses the same exact motor as the wrx albeit with more boost. I keep seeing hints about the "under stressed 2.4t". I'm hoping that means the power stayed the same due to emissions or economy reasons. I already have a Cobb ap ready for more boost!
In the aftermarket world the new Subaru 2.4l turbo will have a huge upgrade performance potential, it should be able to reach 400 hp if you can get the fuel it needs.

When I am driving in my Si I want to wave at all of the WRX owners that pass by me, but they don't know I own a WRX so that would seem odd to them, lol.
Sponsored