• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic type r & 2017 Subaru WRX
Haha, same when I was in my type r. I always waved at others in wrxs and evos but they NEVER waved back when I was in my r. In my wrx, I always got a return wave.

The torque dip on the 15-21 wrx is real and annoyed me into an accessory and a MA Performance tune which solved all my issues. I liked everything else about it and would have even been ok with it as stock but who doesn't want a bit more power and no rev hang??

I am interested in SGs review of the new wrx as well and I hope he pans it for it's looks...might help with dealer negotiations lol
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Haha, same when I was in my type r. I always waved at others in wrxs and evos but they NEVER waved back when I was in my r. In my wrx, I always got a return wave.

The torque dip on the 15-21 wrx is real and annoyed me into an accessory and a MA Performance tune which solved all my issues. I liked everything else about it and would have even been ok with it as stock but who doesn't want a bit more power and no rev hang??

I am interested in SGs review of the new wrx as well and I hope he pans it for it's looks...might help with dealer negotiations lol
That is a sweet combination of cars, nice. My Subaru salesman also thinks they got the exterior design wrong, I don't find it hideous, it is a bit odd, maybe nice in dark blue or black or dark grey. I did see one in white and I thought it looked good in white despite all the black trim.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm not really sold on the looks of the wrx but the rest of the package is compelling. If I get the wrx, it will definitely be the dark grey as it hides the cladding well. I recently saw a dark blue 22 wrx on nasioc and it looks like the blue blends decently too.

Unfortunately, I don't have the type r or the wrx anymore. Since I've been working from home, we consolidated to an MDX, which is a nice vehicle but it's not all that fun. I want to get a good manual fun car before they aren't made anymore!

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm not really sold on the looks of the wrx but the rest of the package is compelling. If I get the wrx, it will definitely be the dark grey as it hides the cladding well. I recently saw a dark blue 22 wrx on nasioc and it looks like the blue blends decently too.

Unfortunately, I don't have the type r or the wrx anymore. Since I've been working from home, we consolidated to an MDX, which is a nice vehicle but it's not all that fun. I want to get a good manual fun car before they aren't made anymore!
Ah, yeah you should be ready for a car like the Si now. Good choice on the SI. I also wanted a nice manual compact car, my WRX is a CVT version which I do like, but I need a manual to compliment it. I got the WRX CVT so my teenage son could drive it. This week I just taught my son to drive a manual tranny on my Si, he now says the auto tranny is boring, lol.

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
The Si is lighter, has a diff, will likely handle better (both will understeer at their limits), has a much better interior, much better radio and more than likely will be a heck of a lot more reliable. The Si doesn't have the protrusion you mention in the rear bumper (alas Toyota C-HR) and that horrible plastic cladding which is going be a nightmare to keep it from fading. I won't even go into ergonomics, the shifter position on the WRX is awkward, also the shifter historically has been junk. As opposed to the Si which is a dream to shift.

Seriously the only thing lacking in the Si is better brakes and another 25HP (easily fixed with Hondata).

I suppose if you really need AWD then yeah, it's something to consider.
I didn't get the C-HR reference until I saw this in a parking lot today, lol.

11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX 20220108_134359

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
I think after a few months of ownership in a 2021 WRX Premium. Subaru is a shit show compared to Honda. I'm just going to be blunt honest. The Boxer engine is a bad design. Subarus stock tune falls flat on its face with an unreliable power as Dyno reports reveal 40-50hp inconsistency. My WRX blew black smoke all over my back end. Wheels were half finished. Infotainment was terrible with power sagging with bass. Stock speakers cracked. Handling seemed bad. Sounded cool and I like the body kit. ? But the new 2022s are like a Cross trek and the infotainment is from the Subaru outback.

I understand we have shortages but why do you think Subarus are available and Hondas are hard to find ? Because Subarus are so far behind in every aspect. My opinion based on my experience. Never again will I own a Subaru. I'd rather pay 5k over sticker on a TypeR. At least I know im getting top tier quality. Resell value on Hondas at Carmax are crazy. 10k over msrp even. There is a reason don't be fooled into availability and engine sound. Subarus are a shit show. 100% ?

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SavageGeese just posted WRX review.

Here is Jack's response to "Si vs WRX" question:

11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX Screenshot_20220110-093100_Gallery

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I liked the review and it essentially matches what I was expecting. The 22 wrx is still on my shortlist after watching it. It's great that Subaru spent the time to clean up the tuning and that it's noticeably better/smoother/cleaner.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not cross shop the WRX and the Civic Si, apples to oranges. I have a WRX and Si for different reasons and I would not buy one over the other. The fuel economy difference between the 22 WRX and 22 Si is pretty big, so I guess it depends on how much one values fuel economy in the decision making process. AWD vs. FWD will appeal to different purchasers.

The Si is more comparable with the BRZ IMO. That was as pretty good review by Mark given that he didn't like very much about the last gen WRX. I was surprised he liked it as much as he did. I'd like to see how the STi makes out on this chassis and this engine, the aftermarket should be able to find a lot of hidden power. I don't think I am going to trade in my 2019 for the 2022, there are not enough changes to substantiate me doing that. I like the 2.0 L fuel economy with similar power levels as the 2.4L , it is a pretty good balance. The model with the adaptive suspension is pretty cool, I'd love to give it a run.

Last edited:

alic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
I think after a few months of ownership in a 2021 WRX Premium. Subaru is a shit show compared to Honda. I'm just going to be blunt honest. The Boxer engine is a bad design. Subarus stock tune falls flat on its face with an unreliable power as Dyno reports reveal 40-50hp inconsistency. My WRX blew black smoke all over my back end. Wheels were half finished. Infotainment was terrible with power sagging with bass. Stock speakers cracked. Handling seemed bad. Sounded cool and I like the body kit. ? But the new 2022s are like a Cross trek and the infotainment is from the Subaru outback.

I understand we have shortages but why do you think Subarus are available and Hondas are hard to find ? Because Subarus are so far behind in every aspect. My opinion based on my experience. Never again will I own a Subaru. I'd rather pay 5k over sticker on a TypeR. At least I know im getting top tier quality. Resell value on Hondas at Carmax are crazy. 10k over msrp even. There is a reason don't be fooled into availability and engine sound. Subarus are a shit show. 100% ?
Wow that's good to hear. We were split between the Legacy or the Camry. We finally picked the Camry for its NA engine. The Subaru's famous shaky/rumbly cabin also made us lean more towards the Camry.

HRC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Step 2 McLaren 570S
Here is the rear bumper.
11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX 2022-WRX-Rear-Bumper

Here is stock radio.

11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX 2022%20WRX%20infotainment

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the rear bumper.
2022-WRX-Rear-Bumper.png

Here is stock radio.

2022%20WRX%20infotainment.jpg
Love the split screens vs the megascreen.

And the only people staring at that bumper will be the people I gap at the light.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

11th Gen Honda Civic Classy Si vs Mad Max WRX Screenshot_20220111-153733_Gallery

???

Last edited:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017

I have to agree. Beginning in 1988 I said to myself I'd only buy Honda or Toyota from then on. Since then I've had 2 Accords, 1 Prelude, 2 TL's, 1 xB, 2 Civic Si's. Only one of these cars was a big letdown, one was meh, and the other 6 were better than what any other car brand can offer.
Sponsored