• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Do you consider the Type R as a limited edition or Special Edition vehicle?

MKNthePT

First Name
Morgin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 ford focus
As the title already mentioned. Do you consider the Type R either a limited edition or a special edition model? The reason I ask is because I have a dealership that has done nothing but tell me they will be selling the Type R for MSRP. Yet now they claim that they are going to have markup on the car. They have on their website that they only sell cars for MSRP unless they're considered Limited editions or Special edition models. Clearly it's not limited as Honda has released a limited R in terms of the 2021 R Limited with only 600 units built. So really only way they could get away with their little caveat for not selling it at MSRP is if its a Special Edition model, which I don't believe that it is. Was just curious as to what you all think about the situation? The link is down below to their website and the MSRP guarantee is in all caps with an underline under the "guarantee". Clicking on the underlined portion sends you to the asterisk if you want to take a closer look at that.

https://www.leehonda.com/
Sponsored

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Any niche item at a high cost and made in the thousands is not limited. Special is dependent on the person.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Wow. I was waiting for these guys to get a Type R and after multiple emails I was assured that they would only sell at MSRP. Guess they are playing the "it's a Type R and they're limited in numbers/we only get 1 or 2 per year so it's limited" game.

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
I wouldnā€™t consider it a limited model unless they produced 1000 or less models

OP
OP

MKNthePT

First Name
Morgin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 ford focus
Wow. I was waiting for these guys to get a Type R and after multiple emails I was assured that they would only sell at MSRP. Guess they are playing the "it's a Type R and they're limited in numbers/we only get 1 or 2 per year so it's limited" game.
Even the saleswoman I have been working with was telling me she was surprised because she has only heard from management over the last 6 months that it would be going for MSRP. Same with the online sales consultant (Roxanne) who brought me to the saleswoman. She assured me that any vehicle within the Lee automotive family is MSRP (GR corolla included). If it's anything over MSRP I am out though.

Last edited:

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
I wouldnā€™t consider it a limited model unless they produced 1000 or less models
Thats a pretty arbitrary number. One of the best selling brands in the world producing a few thousand of something surely qualifies as being limited. The demand is high. If someone made 999 hard hats for pet monkeys they wouldn't be considered limited because nobody wants a hard hat for the pet monkey they don't have.

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
As the title already mentioned. Do you consider the Type R either a limited edition or a special edition model? The reason I ask is because I have a dealership that has done nothing but tell me they will be selling the Type R for MSRP. Yet now they claim that they are going to have markup on the car. They have on their website that they only sell cars for MSRP unless they're considered Limited editions or Special edition models. Clearly it's not limited as Honda has released a limited R in terms of the 2021 R Limited with only 600 units built. So really only way they could get away with their little caveat for not selling it at MSRP is if its a Special Edition model, which I don't believe that it is. Was just curious as to what you all think about the situation? The link is down below to their website and the MSRP guarantee is in all caps with an underline under the "guarantee". Clicking on the underlined portion sends you to the asterisk if you want to take a closer look at that.

It's messed up that they're not honoring what they said about selling it at MSRP. They realized what they can legally do as other dealerships have been doing. And that's marking up the car at ridiculously high prices.

I think it's a limited edition Civic and it's special. But a special edition would be akin to the FK8's "Limited Edition".

It would be hard to argue the FL5 is not limited when they have halted any more orders in Japan and are honoring the allocations being given to each dealer globally with about 400 being produced a month. In comparison to the FK8, that would be less than half of what they were producing for it between 2017-2021. Around 48,000 for the FK8 and (with how it's going currently) about 19,200 if they continue a 4 year run schedule. Unless Honda is willing to spend a lot more money for producing more FL5s that are already in the $40ks at MSRP over CRVs, HRVs, and Odysseys; then, I don't see how that would be a good strategy for them in making a profit.

A "special edition" would be very hard to define as that is subjective. In my opinion, it's a special edition of a Civic. Its specialty is being convenient/practical and sporty while having technology to effectively/seriously take it on a track if you wanted to. And it has a heritage that they know about and know how much we love that heritage.

The FK8 was not as limited as the FL5 is projected in being but was more limited than other models of Civics in that generation. The LE or "Limited Edition" was an improved platform and can be considered a Special Edition.

The real problem here is that it doesn't matter to them because they can label it what they want and mark it up legally.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MKNthePT

First Name
Morgin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 ford focus
Thats a pretty arbitrary number. One of the best selling brands in the world producing a few thousand of something surely qualifies as being limited. The demand is high. If someone made 999 hard hats for pet monkeys they wouldn't be considered limited because nobody wants a hard hat for the pet monkey they don't have.
Limited and Limited edition seem different enough to me though. They could have classified all cars as limited during the pandemic but refused to raise the rates of cars at that time. In my mind a limited car is the 2021 Civic type R Limited (or GR corolla Morizo (200)) where they had a strict number that was produced (600) it was limited from the get go with how many they could produce. The 23 R is not limited in total numbers that are planned on being produced. it could be 5,000 or 10,000.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5

According to their website they have 9 vehicles on the ground and 10 in transit. Seems like they are all limited.

The cars are numbered. Like the FK8. Which has... According to Honda a Limited Edition! Then tell them the 22 Accord has, according to Honda. A Special Edition.

Lol, good luck.

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
Yes youā€™re right. Iā€™m basing my number off what whatever came to the US. Like letā€™s say like the Porsche 911.2 Gt3 touring models non winged. Only a couple of 100s came to the US. I would consider that ā€œLimitedā€

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The Type R is DEFINITELY a limited edition vehicle. They put the production number on each individual car. Saying the Type R isnā€™t limited, because it is made in the thousands, lacks perspective and hereā€™s why. It is a low production (i.e. limited / niche) vehicle compared to the hundreds of thousands of normal Civics that Honda builds and sells in the US alone. Yes, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Civics are sold in the US. Last year Honda sold nearly 134k Civics in the US. This number is CRAZY low (compared to US Civic sales over the last 20 years or so). The last time Civic sales took a dive was in 2011, yet they still sold ~221k! That was a really bad year, as Honda averages ~300k+ Civics sold per year in the US alone! Now, letā€™s think about what global Civic sales must be and circle back to the question : Is the CTR a limited edition? The answer is YES and itā€™s pretty easy to see why your dealership feels fortunate to even get 1 of these highly limited production vehicles allocated to them.

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I agree with @TypeRD. These are not mass produced and will only be made in a single plant in Japan for the entire world. We will be lucky to get 2000-3000 of these per year in the United States. It will NOT match the volume of the FK8 in North America especially with the Integra Type S coming.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Lee Honda quoted me 5adm on a Civic SI.... I would look elsewhere