• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Does Honda Really Use a Break-In oil?

Red

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Touring; 2020 KIA Sportage;
I was contemplating my 1st oil & filter change around 500 miles and using Amsoil Signature Series 0w20 for the life of the engine. Going forward I would use the OLM down to 15-20%. Not sure if that factory fill oil has to stay in there longer. I would think the engine if fully seated by 500 miles. I thought I'd get some opinions. Also, Amsoil doesn't show one of their brand oil filter for this engine so I'd have to buy a different brand. Would you stick with the OEM Honda filter or use something like a FRAM Ultra, Mobil 1 or ? I appreciate your input.
Sponsored

GAS2HI

First Name
WC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R S2000
For the the Type R’s, there was a TSB encouraging owners to leave the factory “brake in “ oil in for 7500+ miles. I changed mine at 3700 miles and 1 year that the car was put into service as the manual says change oil at 15% oil life or 1 year. MM said I still had 60% oil life on the factory oil, but I didn’t want have any hassles with the dealer saying I left my oil in over a year as I have the Honda Care extended plan for 8/120k miles. If the 1 year had not come up, I would have kept the oil in until 15% oil life or 7500 miles.

OP
OP
Red

Red

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Touring; 2020 KIA Sportage;
Thanks WC. I called Amsoil and spoke with their tech department also. They told me to run the Honda oil down to 15% then go with Amsoil 0w-20 going forward. They said it wouldn't hurt changing the filter once during that factory fill so I'll probably do that around the 1000 mile mark. They didn't have the 2022 in their database yet so we went off the 2021 data. That oil filter number is EA15K13 if anybody's interested.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L AWD Crystal White Pearl
I was contemplating my 1st oil & filter change around 500 miles and using Amsoil Signature Series 0w20 for the life of the engine. Going forward I would use the OLM down to 15-20%. Not sure if that factory fill oil has to stay in there longer. I would think the engine if fully seated by 500 miles. I thought I'd get some opinions. Also, Amsoil doesn't show one of their brand oil filter for this engine so I'd have to buy a different brand. Would you stick with the OEM Honda filter or use something like a FRAM Ultra, Mobil 1 or ? I appreciate your input.
You may want to check, Honda requires an API certified oil to meet warranty requirements, last time I checked the Amsoil Signature didn't meet that requirement. It's an excellent oil, however not API rated. The Royal Purple filter is identical to the Amsoil at about half the price. The most important thing for a small displacement DI Turbocharged engine is a synthetic that's ILSAC GF-6A rated, most current 0W-20 synthetics have that rating as well as API certification. Honda recommends running the factory fill for at least 5000 miles as it's got a lot of Molybdenum in it to aid break-in.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Recent Blackstone Oil Analysis for my '22 Si. Changed the oil at 2500 miles.
11th Gen Honda Civic Does Honda Really Use a Break-In oil? Oil Analysis.PNG

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Honda does use a break-in oil as you can't find any Honda oil with the same formula that you see in the factory oil (as shown above ^) The high moly is a dead give away.

Last edited:

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L AWD Crystal White Pearl
You may want to check, Honda requires an API certified oil to meet warranty requirements, last time I checked the Amsoil Signature didn't meet that requirement. It's an excellent oil, however not API rated. The Royal Purple filter is identical to the Amsoil at about half the price. The most important thing for a small displacement DI Turbocharged engine is a synthetic that's ILSAC GF-6A rated, most current 0W-20 synthetics have that rating as well as API certification. Honda recommends running the factory fill for at least 5000 miles as it's got a lot of Molybdenum in it to aid break-in.
Still true, also you may want to consider filter restriction on flow. I'm currently looking into the K&N Gold..the Honda A02 isn't the finest, but certainly meets Honda warranty requirements.

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
i've heard they don't use any special oil and the high moly is from the assembly lube which gets mixed into the oil. so, it basically does the same thing as break-in oil.
Sponsored