• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Downgrade from 2021 Type R to SI

thecaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Yes, you read the title correctly haha. I’m thinking about it. I don’t necessarily have to do it, but it has been on my mind. (Obviously for financial reasons/how much I can get for my Type R)

With all that said, how many of you guys have driven the FK8 Type R and the 2022 SI? I know it’s probably not a lot since the 2022 is rolling out currently, but the bottom line is how depressed would I be if I made this decision? I appreciate the feedback!
Sponsored

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
Totally different cars. Owned a 2017 FK8 and test drove a 2022 Si. I currently own a 2022 Sport Touring.

You will be losing a lot of speed and not gaining any handling.

You will gain a nicer day to day car for errands and back and forth. Sunroof and a Bose stereo. Better fuel economy.

L15 is no K20 but it’s got potential.

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Si
This move will not make you happy…

An argument can be made for doing this with 10th gen. But not so much for 11th.

CTR is a superior driving experience overall vs. the Si.

You get an Si, because comfort and fuel efficiency matter more, but you still want to move faster than all the other Civics.

I STRONGLY recommend against this move.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Yes, you read the title correctly haha. I’m thinking about it. I don’t necessarily have to do it, but it has been on my mind. (Obviously for financial reasons/how much I can get for my Type R)

With all that said, how many of you guys have driven the FK8 Type R and the 2022 SI? I know it’s probably not a lot since the 2022 is rolling out currently, but the bottom line is how depressed would I be if I made this decision? I appreciate the feedback!
What parts do you love about your FK8, and what do you not like? I drove my buddies FK8 the same day I took delivery of my Si. I personally would take the FK8 over the Si. However, I plan on doing lots of autocross and track days so for me the benefits of the FK8 are more apparent. If you don't ever plan on doing those, you may find the Si adequate. I only went with the Si to save on my monthly payment and because of the gas mileage. I do want to point out though that the Si is significantly more fun to drive compared to my modified MK7 GTI that I replaced. That GTI was a good bit faster than my friends FK8 too.

Patel

First Name
Patel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sport

Bad bad bad idea for a car guy, unless you HAVE to for financial reasons, you'll kick yourself, especially if you're a car guy

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Probably a horrible move.
Let me ask, if you sell your Type R and then buy a new Si (AND pay all the taxes/registration fees) will you have an extra $5,000 or $10,000 in your pocket?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Civic DX, 16 EXT Civic Coupe
Probably a horrible move.
Let me ask, if you sell your Type R and then buy a new Si (AND pay all the taxes/registration fees) will you have an extra $5,000 or $10,000 in your pocket?
No he won't. Because the markup on a new Si will be 7k.?

Mauiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Huge downgrade and disappointment unless you pocket at least $10k.

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Si
Yep, called a dealership today and they wanted 38 grand for an SI. Insanity!
My Si was $18k, with 16k miles on it when I bought it.
I traded in my Focus, and got $7500 for it, put toward the Si.
I dropped $2500 down.

Only had to finance $8k on it, at 3.71% interest.

I can yawn and fart, and it’ll make my car payment.

My Si has 39k miles on it now, and has no performance modifications on it, other than lowering springs and a different exhaust tip.

Mine is a 10th gen, with things as they are, I wonder if I would come out on top if I tried to sell it.

The markup on these is insane.
I wouldn’t pay more than $20k for ANY Si! This is crazy!

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Would curious to see how much you would come out on top. :)
Sponsored