• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Engine Noise at ~1500rpm

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Hi all,

So I've noticed a knocking/tapping type noise thats emitted from what I assume to be the engine when it is held at around 1500-2000rpm. It almost sounds like a diesel type oscillation/knock. Can nearly even liken it to piston slap. It seems to smoothen out and disappear above 2000rpm where perhaps the natural noise of the engine overtakes the magnitude of the noise emited from the knock.

I've already pulled the rocker cover off to check and adjust valve clearances which made no difference (although it might be worth noting that all 8 valves on the exhaust side was quite loose) - also tried using a slightly thicker oil (0W30) which made no difference.

The noise starts to occur when the vehicle is up to operating temp - on a cold start its not audible at all. It is however very audible on a warm start when the ECU holds idle at 1500rpm for 10-15 seconds. And once the engine is up to operating temp it is always repeatable and audible at those rpm's especially with the windows closed in a quiet environment.

I've tried it on two other FL5's and I've found both vehicles also produce this same noise at the same RPM so I assume it is a characteristic of the engine rather than a fault. But I would like to know if anyone has experienced this and perhaps know what's actually causing it?

Video of the subject noise:
Sponsored

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
also tried using a slightly thicker oil (0W30) which made no difference.
Try 5-30w for that purpose. Unless you live somewhere cold 0 starting weight oils aren't as good.

I think these are just unbalanced, slightly rough motors - I'm coming from much smoother motors and some of the vibration and noise *to me* sounds like there is something wrong... but it's just how it is. You tested 3 and they all do the same thing... what are the odds you have tested 3 bad motors? I'd say that approaches 0.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Try 5-30w for that purpose. Unless you live somewhere cold 0 starting weight oils aren't as good.

I think these are just unbalanced, slightly rough motors - I'm coming from much smoother motors and some of the vibration and noise *to me* sounds like there is something wrong... but it's just how it is. You tested 3 and they all do the same thing... what are the odds you have tested 3 bad motors? I'd say that approaches 0.
I hear you, trust me. I've come to learn so much about the K20C1 in the past month of owning this car - familiarizing myself with its quirks and vibrating character.

Its not a noise I would ever usually consider normal (over 15 years automotive mechanic) and thus I am having a hard time convincing myself that it is. It is also in my nature to pin point where it is coming from to better understand it and potentially come up with something that can reduce it/eliminate it.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Why not take it in to the dealership, assuming you have your factory warranty? I agree with others, this motor is a little rough down low, but I haven't noticed a specific noise at 1500

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Why not take it in to the dealership, assuming you have your factory warranty? I agree with others, this motor is a little rough down low, but I haven't noticed a specific noise at 1500
The dealership visit is something I avoid like the plague.

The sequence of events that will likely occur:
1. Tech recieves vehicle, takes a quick listen, either (a) doesn't hear it or (b) hears it but questions how normal it is.
(a)doesn't hear it: return the vehicle to customer to monitor
(b)hears it and compares to like vehicle, confirm normal condition/character of engine - return the vehicle to customer
2. Upon return of vehicle, I notice kerb rash and door trim scratch that wasn't there before
3. Argue with the service writer, agree to a repair which doesn't get completed satisfactorily
4. More arguements which lead to no favourable results
5. Vow to never go to the dealership again.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Probably just a combo of the injectors and unbalanced engine.

Benji

First Name
Benjamjn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Type R
I have about 1300 miles on my Type R and I am getting the same noise still. Exactly the same times as you have described it. Any updates?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think it’s the unbalanced nature of the engine. It makes complete sense that it would noticeably vibrate/resonate harder at low RPMs, but vibrate/resonate less as RPMs climb, just like a speaker driver…if you follow what I mean.

Technically, it would vibrate more at high RPM’s but the vibration is much faster and it’d be much less noticeable. At some point, maybe it’s around 2k RPM’s that the vibrations largely cancel each other out. It’d have to or it’d rattle itself to pieces. Just a theory.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I don’t like it, but it’s normal. I didn’t hear it in my FK8, but definitely do in the FL5.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have about 1300 miles on my Type R and I am getting the same noise still. Exactly the same times as you have described it. Any updates?
I'm at ~6300km (~3900miles) and its still there - however it seems to have smoothened out, along with the engine vibration I was feeling during hard acceleration at the 3-4Krpm range which seems to have gone away. Its still there and its audible on warm start - but it seems to be less prominent.

There could also be a human element in the whole thing in that I've become accustomed to the noises/vibrations and its no longer bothering me.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I'm at ~6300km (~3900miles) and its still there - however it seems to have smoothened out, along with the engine vibration I was feeling during hard acceleration at the 3-4Krpm range which seems to have gone away. Its still there and its audible on warm start - but it seems to be less prominent.

There could also be a human element
in the whole thing in that I've become accustomed to the noises/vibrations and its no longer bothering me.
It shouldn’t bother you, it’s the purpose of the car - to deliver a visceral feel not felt since the 90s. Raw and connected. You should feel it through the pedals, seat and steering.

MARK S

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Silverado
Any updates on this issue? My fl5 is at 10k miles and not sure if it’s always been there but I do notice it now. I’ll try uploading video of mine.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've heard this problem described on the FK8 forums. My understanding is that it's normal.
Sponsored