• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Engine Warm-up Temp

saGOD

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R | 2020 KIA Sedona
What oil temperature do you guys wait until before you drive your cars hard?
Also, at what temperature is the car considered too hot where you should wait for it to cool before doing another pull?
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I wait until normal operating temp (4 bars) on the gauge.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I don't work off a temperature threshold. ~7-10 minutes of regular driving is sufficient to get the car up to normal operating temperature. The scenario you describe in your second question is not something you will typically need to care for on the street. You should be able to push the car hard on the street with no issue. The track is a different use case altogether and there isn't enough data out there to make a definitive claim on the cooling abilities of the FL5. The next several months will be telling as ambient temperatures rise, track season kicks off, and moreof these cars will be in the hands of people to track them.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Wait until the oil temp gauge starts showing values which is around 120

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Wait until the oil temp gauge starts showing values which is around 120
120? Lol no, bro thats still cold. Try like ~180F before doing redline pulls

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, I noticed my car hangs out around 180-190 degrees after full warm up. This is when ambient temps are between 40-60 degrees too.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
1. 180F is when I take it to redline and don't hold back. I keep the RPMs below 4k till then. The car stays pegged around 205 when I drive aggressively and drops to the 175-190 range when I just drive normal. I think any car has an engine oil operating temp of ~180F because my GT350 is the same way.

2. Anything over 275F is really when you should let off (like 285F-300F). This is where engine oil comes into play. OW-20 isn't really really the best for operating at high temps. Basically the lower numbers (0W, 1W, 5W) all mean that the oil is thinner and the second number is for the temperature rating, the higher number means that the oil will degrade less overtime at higher temperatures. Regardless I don't think its an issue if you are just doing street driving or doing a few sessions at the track. If you are doing long sessions and and are really capable of really pushing the car it would be a good idea to use 0W-50. I think with the last gen the ECU would pull timing before it ever got to that point. Maybe with the cooling it could be more capable of reaching those temps now.

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
I've noticed that when I have the LogR guages on, it will say "Not Ready" for the data logging part (up top on the screen) until things are up to temp. During an autocross, it's only when moving my car to grid that it shows (the car is cold), but it doesn't say that in between runs (the car is warm). At track events, there is usually enough time between grid, staging, etc for things to be warmed up. Saying that, I don't follow only the "Not Ready" message and I let it warm up for longer (mainly due to the length of time events take for things), but it can be a good baseline to judge if things are good to go.
Sponsored