• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

bigdonward

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
The new generation XI, looks more reserved. Maybe Honda has sold a large percentage to older folks and wanted to tame it down some.
I am 64 and on my third Gen X sedan. My 2018 EXL got run over by a old F250. After evaluating commuter vehicles again, I came to the same conclusion. The turbo Honda Civic is the fastest, highest mileage car you can get other than a Tesla. And at $23,500 for the 2019 EXL, I have a lot of money left over for gas.

I went with the sedan because I wanted a secure trunk for my golf clubs. I would hate to have my hatches rear window broken and my clubs stolen. $2K loss. And I kept my Expedition in case I need the space to carry stuff in. I love the 1.5L turbo and CVT. It jumps to high RPM and stays there until you let off the gas. I beat practically everyone driving on high speed Dallas freeways. I would like to race an SI and see if it can keep up with the CVT, not having to shift. With all the traffic and stop and go at times, who needs a manual shift? With the CVT, just punch it and go. With the cash I saved on buying a cheaper car, I bought a 2001 BMW Z3 which I get to shift all I want. I may try to get an R once I am done with commuting 30 miles each way every day.
Sponsored

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
It was mainly writers of reviews that criticized the styling, the sales should be what they listen too. And as far as I know the sales of the 10th generation far exceeded the 9th Generation.

I also think that this new generation looks BORING. Just more motivation to keep my 2018 Si, but I am slightly disappointed.
After every thing Iā€™ve done to mine, Iā€™m right with ya fam. If it happens to give out when the next gen arrives and itā€™s lackluster, imma just get the last 10th gen hatchback model and ride it out.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
If the new type r comes with more HP and auto tranny, guaranteed it will sell like hot cakes. Can't tell you the amount of people that told me they would love to get the car but they cant since it's a manual.
I currently drive a CVT but most cars I've driven/owned have been manual. These newer Honda manuals are incredibly easy to drive with a very light clutch. They even have hill hold assist for God's sake. How easy can it get? They want an R? They should get it, manual and all. Type R automatic sounds ridiculous IMO.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
How Kia-Hyundai like, yawn. Will the H be filled in poopy brown on all models and backlit glitter H on Type R?

Maybe those brands will next copy Honda Gen X Civic just to be more interesting?
Style swapping could be the next big thing. Hey wait, was that a... or ...

Not step forward s, backwards. Looks Gen X minus 1, not Xi.

Last edited:

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Yes, poor sales. Coupes represented 16% of all Civics sold in 2016. That number dropped to 6% in 2020.

For the record, I agree that the 2-door looks better than the sedan. But looks aren't the full story. Personally, I chose a sedan strictly for practicality reasons, as I suspect a lot of other buyers did as well. The bottom line is that Honda built coupes and people just didn't buy 'em. At least, not in a high enough quantity to justify the tooling/production/logistics costs associated with maintaining an entire body type.

Discontinuing the coupe sucks, but it looks like a smart business decision.
You can't count 2020 as ALL vehicle sales have dropped in all categories.

It's a mistake for Honda to discontinue the 2-Door versions. Many car companies build limited number of sports cars to boost their image & sell more of their regular cars.
Both Americans & Japanese car companies have done this.

When they get away from this, they see their total sales decline.

This is the reason Ford, Chevy, & Dodge all kept their 2-Door Muscle cars when they discontinued their car lines (except for Ford's upmarket Fusion). And these vehicles don't share a common body with their other vehicles, like the Honda Civic does.

I'm keeping my 2019 for a long time. If Honda doesn't bring back the 2-Door, I won't buy a new one.
I would consider a Chevy Camaro instead.

As for "smart business decision"s, the car companies are pretty clueless.

In the 1980s, when both Ford's & Chevy's 2-Seater had very low sales (do to them being a pile of junk), they both claimed it was because Americans no longer wanted 2-Seaters.
But the fact the Toyota MR2, Mazda Miata & RX7, Nissan 300ZX (along with Porsche, Corvette, & others) were ALL selling good at the same time.

This blew their excuse as to why their 2-Seaters were not selling.

In 2018, I looked up the total new passenger vehicle sales from 1999-2017 (last full year at that time), & while the US population grew 16.47%, new vehicle sales only grew 1.47%.
I re-check again at the beginning of this year, & from 2000-2019, the US population grew about 16.94%, and new vehicle sales had dropped around 2% (some have it around 1% drop, but it is still a drop).

There is no doubt it is due to the lack of a Manual Transmission being available.

In the past year, I've seen a lot of old cars on the road from the 1950s to the 1990s of all types, from little 2-Seaters to the excessively large vehicles of the late 1970s/1980s.

I even saw a Studebaker on the road only a week or two ago.

If the car companies aren't going to build the cars people really want, people are going to restore the older cars & use them instead.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
If the new type r comes with more HP and auto tranny, guaranteed it will sell like hot cakes. Can't tell you the amount of people that told me they would love to get the car but they cant since it's a manual.
If they can't drive a Manual,....LEARN how to.
If they aren't willing to learn how to drive a Manual, they're not looking for a real Sports Car, just a status symbol.

People who want a real Sports Car will drive Manual. They want to drive it, not have the car drive them.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
I wasn't referring to the Civic Si.... I was referring to the fact that Honda recently renewed their trademark of the CRZ (which they let expire in 2017). I don't doubt the Si will continue on without hybrid tech (though Honda has already said it has plans to electrify the majority of its cars in the next 5 years, so we WILL see more hybrid tech being used across all models). Hyundai recently announced the combo of their 1.6T and hybrid motor in the new Tuscon, I feel the turbo+hybrid option is going to grow in popularity for both fuel efficiency and performance reasons.

A new CRZ would fill the slot left by the civic coupe, provide a more dedicated sports car to honda that it's been lacking since the S2000, and compete with cars like the Veloster, BRZ/86. A niche car built to be a niche car, rather than a niche car built to be an economy car, allowing honda to not only elevate it's sporty intentions, but also push it's hybrid tech further into the idea of sport+hybrid.

It's all up in the air obviously. But it'd be a welcome addition to the lineup for many that want a small sporty honda coupe.
First, the advantage of the Si & Type-R is to use many of the same parts the regular Civics use instead of just being a niche car.

Second, just because car companies make them available does not mean people will buy them.

Look at the Prius. It started selling in 2002 in the US. Peak hybrid sales for ALL cars was only 3% in 2013, & has since dropped to below 2%.
In 2019, a little over 2% of ALL cars were hybrids, but still way below their 2013 peak.

I've also compared equivalent non-hybrid cars to hybrids, & not only do hybrids cost more when new, they have a Lower Resale value.
You are not saving any $$$. The amount they put on the sticker claiming how much you will save with a hybrid does not include all costs.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
You can't count 2020 as ALL vehicle sales have dropped in all categories.
That's not how percentages work. Whether it's 900 coupes out of 15,000 total Civics sold, or 9 out of 150 - it's still 6%. So, yes - the sample size may be smaller, but we can certainly count 2020. Even if we don't, there's a clear downward trend in coupe sales from 2016 - 2019.

Look, I completely agree with your overall sentiment. I sincerely appreciate and share your enthusiasm; I want to see more coupes on the road, and more 6MT options in general. So do a lot of other civicx-ers (err, I guess civicxi-ers). The thing is, we're enthusiasts here, and we represent only a very tiny proportion of the overall car-buying public. You're grossly overestimating the demand for coupes & manual transmissions. The average American doesn't want a 2-door, nor do they want to shift their own gears. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is what it is.

In 2018, I looked up the total new passenger vehicle sales from 1999-2017 (last full year at that time), & while the US population grew 16.47%, new vehicle sales only grew 1.47%.
I re-check again at the beginning of this year, & from 2000-2019, the US population grew about 16.94%, and new vehicle sales had dropped around 2% (some have it around 1% drop, but it is still a drop).

There is no doubt it is due to the lack of a Manual Transmission being available.
No. That is a spectacular leap in logic. Correlation does not equal causation. New car sales fluctuate for a variety of reasons, but manual transmission availability is decidedly not one of them. There simply aren't enough potential buyers to move the needle on anything but a very small scale.

Keep in mind that this isn't just Honda. It's an industry-wide trend. In 2011, 37% of new car models were available with a manual transmission. In 2020, that figure dropped to 13%. If the market was there, automakers wouldn't be cutting 6MT models. Lots of other manufacturers are axing their 6MT options for US-bound cars, even on enthusiast models (C8, M5, GT-R, R8, etcetera). The millions of dollars these companies spend on market research suggests they have at least an inkling as to which models/trims/options will sell best.

In the past year, I've seen a lot of old cars on the road from the 1950s to the 1990s of all types, from little 2-Seaters to the excessively large vehicles of the late 1970s/1980s.
This is because - as you've previously noted - people just aren't buying as many new cars these days. It's not because they can't find the right 6MT vehicle on the market.

If the car companies aren't going to build the cars people really want, people are going to restore the older cars & use them instead.
This is really the crux of the matter: the car companies aren't going to invest money building cars that you or I might want. They'll market to the masses and build the stuff that everyone else wants. I'll stick with my Si and you can restore that 1990 MR2, but the average American joe will be perfectly satisfied with his vanilla automatic Camry/Accord/Corolla/F150/CR-V. Sad but true.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
That's not how percentages work. Whether it's 900 coupes out of 15,000 total Civics sold, or 9 out of 150 - it's still 6%. So, yes - the sample size may be smaller, but we can certainly count 2020. Even if we don't, there's a clear downward trend in coupe sales from 2016 - 2019.

Look, I completely agree with your overall sentiment. I sincerely appreciate and share your enthusiasm; I want to see more coupes on the road, and more 6MT options in general. So do a lot of other civicx-ers (err, I guess civicxi-ers). The thing is, we're enthusiasts here, and we represent only a very tiny proportion of the overall car-buying public. You're grossly overestimating the demand for coupes & manual transmissions. The average American doesn't want a 2-door, nor do they want to shift their own gears. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is what it is.

No. That is a spectacular leap in logic. Correlation does not equal causation. New car sales fluctuate for a variety of reasons, but manual transmission availability is decidedly not one of them. There simply aren't enough potential buyers to move the needle on anything but a very small scale.

Keep in mind that this isn't just Honda. It's an industry-wide trend. In 2011, 37% of new car models were available with a manual transmission. In 2020, that figure dropped to 13%. If the market was there, automakers wouldn't be cutting 6MT models. Lots of other manufacturers are axing their 6MT options for US-bound cars, even on enthusiast models (C8, M5, GT-R, R8, etcetera). The millions of dollars these companies spend on market research suggests they have at least an inkling as to which models/trims/options will sell best.

This is because - as you've previously noted - people just aren't buying as many new cars these days. It's not because they can't find the right 6MT vehicle on the market.

This is really the crux of the matter: the car companies aren't going to invest money building cars that you or I might want. They'll market to the masses and build the stuff that everyone else wants. I'll stick with my Si and you can restore that 1990 MR2, but the average American joe will be perfectly satisfied with his vanilla automatic Camry/Accord/Corolla/F150/CR-V. Sad but true.
New car sales don't have a virtual flatline for 19-20 years in a row when the population is increasing by 15+%.

There is a reason for this & the only thing that has changed any significant amount is the lack of Manual Transmissions.

While there is a lack of Manual Transmissions in the US, you can still get a Manual in virtually every vehicle in Europe (2020), including the exact same models sold here.
The car companies are already making them. They just need to be available here.

One of the reasons I heard was that Car Companies have to get every single model Emission Certified, even if it is the exact same engine & transmission.
It's an incredibly stupid law that hinders a lot of cars coming to the US.

Honda has to doubly pay to certify the exact same 1.5L with Manual Transmission in the Civic & Accord Sport, just because they are 2 different models.
Ditto between a Manual & Automatic for the exact same car with the exact same engine.

Blairtronica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6 Spd Manual
Replace the faux mesh grills w/ real mesh grills & raise the roof by an inch or so. Only two glaring things I find wrong with my 10th gen hatch. Other less than desirable experience is the seating. I replaced my seating fabric with Katzkin leather. Necessary, in my opinion. Stock fabric felt like panty hose. Iā€™m also hopeful that someone will offer a seat rail extender kit, so I can have an inch or two more in legroom. Nonetheless, I love my civic hatch sport manual. Itā€™s awesome. Best car Iā€™ve ever owned.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
This looks so...average. 10th gen stood out (in a good way IMO) and just looked plain sleek. This is really conventional styling and gives me really economical vibes. Not to mention the fact that Honda is clearly steering away from the sporty styling and now going towards a more average styling. Hopefully it looks better in person though.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Replace the faux mesh grills w/ real mesh grills & raise the roof by an inch or so. Only two glaring things I find wrong with my 10th gen hatch. Other less than desirable experience is the seating. I replaced my seating fabric with Katzkin leather. Necessary, in my opinion. Stock fabric felt like panty hose. Iā€™m also hopeful that someone will offer a seat rail extender kit, so I can have an inch or two more in legroom. Nonetheless, I love my civic hatch sport manual. Itā€™s awesome. Best car Iā€™ve ever owned.
I love cloth seats. They don't get too hot nor too cold.
I also love the honey-comb grill (they took part of that away in front with the fog lamps & made it a boring flat plastic part for the 2020 model).
And, of course, Manual Transmission is a MUST!

There are many things that need improvement on the 10th gen Civic Si:

• Get rid of the potentiometer gas pedal!!
  • Why aren't there side-turn-signals on the side mirrors? There are on 1 Civic model. Why not on all of the Civic models for safety?
  • I hate the digital instrument panel. There is no way to make it brighter (except under a rare circumstance) & very hard to see when driving in the sun (even if the sun is not directly on the instruments). Your eyes get used to a certain brightness & you need to be able to quickly glance at the instrument panel & see the info quickly. It's like walking into an unlit house after being outside in the bright sun. It takes a while for your eyes to adjust. You don't have that much time while driving. It's a safety issue.
  • The Driver's seat does not have "memory" to put it back in the same position (even my base model 2003 Golf had this).
  • Limited in being able to adjust the heating/cooling to just Windshield, mid-section, feet, or mid-section + feet. No in between like I could do on all of my previous cars that had physical dials. Also, I could adjust anything without taking my eyes off the road. Can't do that with the touch-screen.
  • Shifting into reverse when the car is completely stopped is not always easy to do. It seems there is a gate it doesn't always slide into. Never had this problem on any other car.
  • Many other issues....

But, I agree, the 2-Door Civic Si is the best & sleekest styled car currently available. The Civic XI will be a setback in styling, & with no 2-Door.

It's still a fun car to drive with a good balance of mid-to-upper range performance & MPG.

Fingers crossed for the return of the 2-Door & styling on par with the 10th gen for the 12th gen. It's only 5-6 years away.
Honda, bring back the fahrvergnĆ¼gen!!