• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First Oil Change Advice 2021 Civic Type R Almost Three Years Now.

bohlken99

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R Civic
I need advice on when to get my first oil change on my 2021 Type R. She is bone stock and has 2200 miles on her, and the oil from the factory is special and eats the metal shavings in the break-in period. Honda recommends not changing the oil for the first 5,000 miles.

At the pace I am putting miles on her currently, it will be six years to seven years before her first oil change.

This seems super dangerous to me either way. Change the oil now and have metal shavings mess up the engine down the road, or drive around with seven-year-old oil.

Still, trying to figure out what to do here?
Sponsored

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2018 Honda Accord EX-L
I'd just follow the Maintenance Minder.
My CTR usually goes about 7,000 miles before it says it needs an oil change.
My wife's 2.0T Accord goes a lot fewer miles, though. She doesn't use it much, so it usually goes by time rather than miles. Last time it was a year and about 4,000 miles.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I need advice on when to get my first oil change on my 2021 Type R. She is bone stock and has 2200 miles on her, and the oil from the factory is special and eats the metal shavings in the break-in period. Honda recommends not changing the oil for the first 5,000 miles.

At the pace I am putting miles on her currently, it will be six years to seven years before her first oil change.

This seems super dangerous to me either way. Change the oil now and have metal shavings mess up the engine down the road, or drive around with seven-year-old oil.

Still, trying to figure out what to do here?
Oil should be changed at least once a year, regardless of mileage driven.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/civic-type-r-forum-fk8-10th-gen.10/

You are being too neurotic. You aren't going to eat bearings or destroy the engine or whatnot by changing the factory oil out at 2,000 miles. If fact, you may have damaged the engine more by not changing it yearly. You should change the oil at least annually because even fresh oil slowly absorbs moisture, which promotes corrosion and acidification.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Itā€™s a valid question. The first oil that comes in the engine, from the factory, is different than typical off-the-shelf oilā€¦at least last I knew. I believe it is referred to as ā€œengine break-in oil.ā€ Perhaps this is no longer the case and special oil is no longer used? If I were the OP, Iā€™d call or email Honda Corp (email is obviously better for record keeping) and 1. Verify the oil in the car from the factory. 2. The answer to question 1 should help determine the oil change intervalā€¦which Honda should he able to give the answer to also.

From my understanding engine break-in oil actually puts micro-deposits of metal in the cylinder walls which fill teeny tiny (microscopic) imperfections from the machining process, thus making the cylinder walls even cleaner and smoother than straight from the factory. This is why it is advised not to perform the first oil change ahead of schedule. Again, maybe this is no longer the case due to advances in machining and polishing processes. I donā€™t know for sure. Check with Honda.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bohlken99

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R Civic
From my understanding engine break-in oil actually puts micro-deposits of metal in the cylinder walls which fill teeny tiny (microscopic) imperfections from the machining process, thus making the cylinder walls even cleaner and smoother than straight from the factory. This is why it is advised not to perform the first oil change ahead of schedule. Again, maybe this is no longer the case due to advances in machining and polishing processes. I donā€™t know for sure. Check with Honda.
Yes, this is exactly what my service guy said the factory oil did at my local dealership.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Doesnā€™t answer your question about the longevity of that original oil, though. Itā€™s probably expected that most people would drive 5k within the first year of ownership. Iā€™m surprised there isnā€™t something specific about this in the manual. Maybe the dealership is supposed to relay this info to the owner?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Oil viscosity breaks down rather more quickly in these engines as they are direct injected, mixing fuel into the oil causing dilution. Wouldn't be such a big deal if you had changed the oil within the first year but you'll be lucky if you haven't done some minor damage to the internals by waiting this long. I hope you are also using a fuel stabilizer as fuel loses octane rating and turns goopey in your tank if you let it sit too long as well.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Wellā€¦since the OP apparently never drives the car, I doubt any damage has been done. šŸ˜„ To your point, though, even cars just sitting and collecting dust have to be carefully maintained if one wishes to keep them operational. Car collectors know all about this.

OP
OP

bohlken99

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R Civic
Thanks, guys for your responses! I will take her in for a oil change based on the advise I received here.
Sponsored