• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FK8 BOV fits FL5?

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
FK8 has been shown to not needing a BOV. I can't Remeber exact but it's all over the civic X forums.

It hurts the car. So it would likely hurt the FL5 as well.

OP
OP

JUNHPARK18

First Name
Jun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Cayman S, 2023 Honda Civic Type R, 2015 BMW
i would love to try, but dont want to waste money if it doesnt fit.

SimplyClean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Civic Type R #647
FK8 has been shown to not needing a BOV. I can't Remeber exact but it's all over the civic X forums.

One of the homies did it on his FK8 last week. He used the recirculating kit and data logged it. No changes.

OP
OP

JUNHPARK18

First Name
Jun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which one did you get (HKS)? i definitely need a write up on this one. Just like your install on the springs. You the man!!!

imhenry66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
From my experience with my previous turbo cars (WRX and Evo), when you're using a recirculation kit, it should be fine as long as the spring on the BOV isn't too loose or tight. (usually adjustable) The awesome car in the video above has a noticeable sound because it also has an aftermarket intake. A recirculation kit with a stock intake is likely not very audible (if at all) if the sound is what you're looking for?

OP
OP

JUNHPARK18

First Name
Jun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there is a lot of talk on the fk8 about the bov. all lot of them say it hurts the engine. i hope not.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda

Stop spreading false information. The only problem a vent to atmosphere BOV causes is the car runs slightly richer between shifts because the ECU thinks there’s more air coming in that was vented out. This is likely why the new HKS kits come with a recirculation tube.

Last edited:

SimplyClean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Civic Type R #647
Stop spreading false information. The only problem a vent to atmosphere BOV causes is the car runs slightly richer between shifts because the ECU thinks there’s more air coming in that was vented out. This is likely why the new HKS kits come with a recirculation.
Exactly.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Just installed it on mine, bought the fk8 kit since the fl5 version is not being offered.
11th Gen Honda Civic FK8 BOV fits FL5? IMG_1757

Apparently there are some differences from the FK8 I was not aware of. So everything is pretty much straight forward except for the throttle body to intercooler cold side pipe. The FK8 apparently had a 2.75”-2 1/2”coupler. The FL5 stock tube is bigger, at about 2.75” so it was not even close when trying to put the coupler on. Tightened the worm clamp all the way and it secured. But ordered a reducing coupler to make the swap and the install more clean.

Also the map sensor wiring is too short and it creates too much tension on the wires. Had to release the clip that holds that part of the wire loom and it reached no problem.

Last edited:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Just installed it on mine, bought the fk8 kit since the fl5 version is not being offered.
IMG_1757.jpeg

Apparently there are some differences from the FK8 I was not aware of. So everything is pretty much straight forward except for the throttle body to intercooler cold side pipe. The FK8 apparently had a 3”-2 1/2”coupler. The FL5 stock tube is bigger, at about 2.75” so it was not even close when trying to put the coupler on. Tightened the worm clamp all the way and it secured. But ordered a reducing coupler to make the swap and the install more clean.

Also the map sensor wiring is too short and it creates too much tension on the wires. Had to release the clip that holds that part of the wire loom and it reached no problem.
The old HKS SSQV! What a throwback. Had one of these on my STi many years ago.