• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Hey, fella fl5 drivers! I came to the conclusion to remove ASC on my FL5, I feel like it's a bit too much for me.

I normally have my 'Engine Sound' in the individual mode as +R. And ASC would get louder which I don't really like...

I would usually do them without asking around but I can't find anyone who has done it yet, except on Si:

What ya'll think of ASC on your FL5s? Have you guys considered it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Village911

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
If you put engine sound in comfort does it go away. That might be the solution along with a catback
Yes. But I never wanna close Active Exhaust Valve. The car is very quite ;)

So that leaves 2 options for me:

1. Install a different exhaust and put engine sound comfort.
2. Leave the exhaust and remove ASC.

Probably going with #2 until later next year...

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Yep #1 was wahtvi was suggesting. Option 2 would be great if it can be done easily.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
Looks like you didn't need to take out the vent section, would that be accurate? Just drop the glovebox section and unplug or am I looking at it wrong. I know in the FK8 it was same way

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
This is probably a dumb question, but can't you just zip tie the vacuum hose for the valve so that it's always open and then turn off the engine sounds in the interface? Every car with an OEM valved exhaust that I've ever owned has one of these small vacuum hoses that can be either plugged or crimped to keep the valve open at all times.

OP
OP
Village911

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
This is probably a dumb question, but can't you just zip tie the vacuum hose for the valve so that it's always open and then turn off the engine sounds in the interface? Every car with an OEM valved exhaust that I've ever owned has one of these small vacuum hoses that can be either plugged or crimped to keep the valve open at all times.
Not a dumb question. I thought it only opens at certain rpm because of the performance aspect. I might be totally wrong and there is a way to able valve exhaust at all time. It will be dream come true!

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
Not a dumb question. I thought it only opens at certain rpm because of the performance aspect. I might be totally wrong and there is a way to able valve exhaust at all time. It will be dream come true!
Are you sure the exhaust and the ASC are tied together in the settings? I would have thought the exhaust would have to do with the engine modes and the sound control is just there to amplify interior noise if you want it.
Can you turn the ASC off or put it in comfort and have someone rev the car to see if the valve still opens?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
I understand that's how it functions electronically (that's how nearly all of them function), but mechanically the valve is typically controlled via a vacuum line. On my TT RS, I was able to crimp this vacuum line and then zip tie it crimped. This mechanically prevents the valve from closing, no matter what the ECU tries to do. Here's how that works on the TT RS.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/tt-rs-flapper-mod-how-to.5471410/

If the Type R also uses a vacuum line, then it would be a much easier and less destructive solution than pulling the module out. The zip tie took me no more than 5 minutes to apply.

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus ES350 / 24 CBP Type R R-19500
Looks like you didn't need to take out the vent section, would that be accurate? Just drop the glovebox section and unplug or am I looking at it wrong. I know in the FK8 it was same way
It looks like there's a tab that fits in there from the vent + a/c controls so most likely have to remove it.

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Has anyone removed the adaptive sound control on the FL5 yet? Thinking of tackling this weekend. Also, i agree wjth above poster it seems like wouldnt need to take the vents out to do this, can anyone confirm?

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
I did it a few weeks ago. You do need to take the vent out unfortunately but it's not difficult. Just use plastic pry tool and start from the passenger side and gently pry out. It's kinda flimsy so support it along the way.

Pro Tip: Be sure to zip tie the cable when you unplug it so it doesn't flap around and buzz lol

Has anyone removed the adaptive sound control on the FL5 yet? Thinking of tackling this weekend. Also, i agree wjth above poster it seems like wouldnt need to take the vents out to do this, can anyone confirm?

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I did it a few weeks ago. You do need to take the vent out unfortunately but it's not difficult. Just use plastic pry tool and start from the passenger side and gently pry out. It's kinda flimsy so support it along the way.

Pro Tip: Be sure to zip tie the cable when you unplug it so it doesn't flap around and buzz lol
thx dude, i hate messing with interior clips and such as i feel like thats how you get rattles but piped in sound is not cool at all so it must be done..

DagCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Here is option #3

Do the trick / sequence where you pull the fuse out of the fusebox that controls the active exhaust flap so that the flap never closes regardless of what mode the car is in.

Then in your individual mode you can put the engine sound (fake noise) in comfort so you don't get any fake noise.

My exhaust flap is permanently open and my individual is pretty much + r everything except suspension and engine noise.

takes 5 minutes to do the fuse trick and no need to fiddle with the interior (outside of fixing stupid rattles hehe)

if you search the forums for exhaust valve fuse it should pop up
Sponsored