• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Has FL5 ASC (Fake Exhaust Sound) Delete Been Done?

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Am I crazy or is the barely audible buzz, (almost static sounding) that I only hear when I’m barely on the throttle and it’s very quiet, part of the fake noise being pumped in?

I heard this on my 22 Si and at times it would bug me enough and I wanted to take it in, but at other times I didn’t really notice. I’ll be honest, I don’t know that I can really discern what is fake noise and real noise. Maybe my ears are ruined from years of concerts, headphones, etc, but the way everyone talks about the fake noise I feel like I should be able to tell.

I’m wondering if anyone has done the unplug on the FL5, or another 11th gen, and had success?

Also, I heard somebody say the high pitch electronic sound coming from the engine is the electronic waste gate or something, is that what I’m hearing after I turn the car off?
Sponsored

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
The high pitch electronic noise you are hearing after the car is turned off, or key-on engine-off, is the electronic throttle body. Not the same as the exhaust sound, which is done with a separate module. That is normal operation and you can only hear it in quiet environments like your garage or a quiet street. Some electronic throttle body are less noisy than others and usually shut down very shortly after the car is turned off.

The electronic throttle body in a Honda is neither the noisiest nor softest in a quiet environment. It'll be drowned out when say you are listening to some music or when the engine is running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The high pitch electronic noise you are hearing after the car is turned off, or key-on engine-off, is the electronic throttle body. Not the same as the exhaust sound, which is done with a separate module. That is normal operation and you can only hear it in quiet environments like your garage or a quiet street. Some electronic throttle body are less noisy than others and usually shut down very shortly after the car is turned off.

The electronic throttle body in a Honda is neither the noisiest nor softest in a quiet environment. It'll be drowned out when say you are listening to some music or when the engine is running.
I definitely mixed these two things together and wasn’t totally clear, but they are two different things I’m hearing.

Thanks for clarifying on the throttle body, mine is loud but only lasts 10-15 seconds after shut down.

As for the other sound that I think might be part of the fake noise pumped in, it happens with feathering the throttle at low speeds and basically happens as soon as I tap the gas pedal. It sounds like static almost or like a kind of shitty radio station. The fact that I heard the same thing in the Si makes me think it’s not just me being crazy, but I should probably unplug that shit and test my theory.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
I definitely mixed these two things together and wasn’t totally clear, but they are two different things I’m hearing.

Thanks for clarifying on the throttle body, mine is loud but only lasts 10-15 seconds after shut down.

As for the other sound that I think might be part of the fake noise pumped in, it happens with feathering the throttle at low speeds and basically happens as soon as I tap the gas pedal. It sounds like static almost or like a kind of shitty radio station. The fact that I heard the same thing in the Si makes me think it’s not just me being crazy, but I should probably unplug that shit and test my theory.
Idk the specifics of when the fake noise is active but in my car I don’t think I hear anything in comfort mode. In Sport and R+ the fake noise is super easy to hear. If you’re hearing it in comfort mode and as soon as you get on the gas I doubt it’s from the fake noise.

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Idk the specifics of when the fake noise is active but in my car I don’t think I hear anything in comfort mode. In Sport and R+ the fake noise is super easy to hear. If you’re hearing it in comfort mode and as soon as you get on the gas I doubt it’s from the fake noise.
This helps. What I’m hearing is super faint and I’m wondering if it has to do with the ASC system but it isn’t actually the fake noise itself but the system being “on” during acceleration.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I’m planning to just set engine noise to “Comfort” in Individual mode and see how I like it. Otherwise I’ll look into deactivating ASC based on the FK8/Si tutorials.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I know what you are talking about, a similar question was asked before and its the electronic waste gate. Its controversial but honestly I don't mind the ASC/fake noise, its not as bad as people make it to be imo. But that sound is not the ASC.

Maybe its just me but part of the charm of having a brand new car is getting a feel for the engine and all of its quirks.

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I know what you are talking about, a similar question was asked before and its the electronic waste gate. Its controversial but honestly I don't mind the ASC/fake noise, its not as bad as people make it to be imo. But that sound is not the ASC.

Maybe its just me but part of the charm of having a brand new car is getting a feel for the engine and all of its quirks.
So it’s the wastegate creating that faint static sounding noise? Interesting… I have so much to learn.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
RE: Fake Exhaust/Engine Noise

What is the actual source, where is it located, and what's the pickup device (i.e., sensor)? I'm confused as I can readily hear more sound in +R mode and very little in Comfort mode even though I'm driving the same way. And another naive/dumb question, if it's using the audio system, is it coming through all speakers or just the front. I ask because those sitting in the rear seat say they hear the sounds coming from a different direction. Please school me. Thanks!

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
RE: Fake Exhaust/Engine Noise

What is the actual source, where is it located, and what's the pickup device (i.e., sensor)? I'm confused as I can readily hear more sound in +R mode and very little in Comfort mode even though I'm driving the same way. And another naive/dumb question, if it's using the audio system, is it coming through all speakers or just the front. I ask because those sitting in the rear seat say they hear the sounds coming from a different direction. Please school me. Thanks!
On the FK8, there was a module behind the glovebox. Defeating ASC was as simple as unplugging the box. This video shows a similar process for an 11th gen Si, so presumably, the same technique might work for the FL5.

submitaweasel

First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 integra
Am I crazy or is the barely audible buzz, (almost static sounding) that I only hear when I’m barely on the throttle and it’s very quiet, part of the fake noise being pumped in?

I heard this on my 22 Si and at times it would bug me enough and I wanted to take it in, but at other times I didn’t really notice. I’ll be honest, I don’t know that I can really discern what is fake noise and real noise. Maybe my ears are ruined from years of concerts, headphones, etc, but the way everyone talks about the fake noise I feel like I should be able to tell.

I’m wondering if anyone has done the unplug on the FL5, or another 11th gen, and had success?

Also, I heard somebody say the high pitch electronic sound coming from the engine is the electronic waste gate or something, is that what I’m hearing after I turn the car off?
While it is not entirely the same platform, i have noticed an eerily similar sound from my integra. I found it goes away when turning off the climate control completely. Try it and see.

Does the high pitch noise sound like a gearmotor?

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
While it is not entirely the same platform, i have noticed an eerily similar sound from my integra. I found it goes away when turning off the climate control completely. Try it and see.

Does the high pitch noise sound like a gearmotor?
Interesting about the climate control, I will try that because it’s usually on to some degree.
Sponsored