• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Help Received - Had Rocks between the Rotor and Brake Shield

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I’ve had a lot of cars but never heard or seen something like this before. Had my car ceramic’d, wheels too, and I’m wondering before I pull it off if this is due to the lugs being over tightened…

When I put any tightening tension on the lugs they make this sound. Also was doing it very loudly when I was driving this evening but didn’t notice it in the 40 or so miles since the ceramic.

What the fuck.

Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Usually when a piece of gravel gets in there it’s super loud and noticeable when driving. That’s what’s odd to me. I think you’d have heard it. I would drive it slowly and have someone record the sound outside car. Even just rolling the car a few feet out of the garage would make a loud scraping sound. Since you didn’t notice it while driving I’m wondering if it has something to do with the parking brake. 🤔

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Usually when a piece of gravel gets in there it’s super loud and noticeable when driving. That’s what’s odd to me. I think you’d have heard it. I would drive it slowly and have someone record the sound outside car. Even just rolling the car a few feet out of the garage would make a loud scraping sound. Since you didn’t notice it while driving I’m wondering if it has something to do with the parking brake. 🤔
Sorry if my message wasn’t clear, I was kind of panicked. It was definitely happening while driving, I just noticed it tonight though not the prior 40 miles I had driven. It was suuuuper loud.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Ah….yeah. I bet you have a little piece of gravel in there. Last time this happened to me the little piece of gravel randomly dropped out after driving slowly for a bit. It was embarrassingly loud. I want to say as I turned the wheel it cleared out. Try rolling back in reverse too. I bet Google and YouTube have better methods and explanations for you.

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It was definitely wet and a little gravely on the roads so I guess that could be it, but seems crazy. Never heard of that happening…

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
It was definitely wet and a little gravely on the roads so I guess that could be it, but seems crazy. Never heard of that happening…
Rocks stuck between the rotor and the shields was a pretty common issue with the FK8. I also had it happen on my 10th gen Si a time or two.

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Rocks stuck between the rotor and the shields was a pretty common issue with the FK8. I also had it happen on my 10th gen Si a time or two.
No shit, well that sounds like the most logical explanation, I’ll take the wheel off and check her out. Thank you all.

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Fully understandable. First time it happened to me, after owning my ‘09 Si for several years, it made me panic too. It’s so loud and it sounds like metal grinding. I thought something in my axels suddenly broke. Nope. Just a stupid little pebble in my brakes. I had no idea this could happen prior to it happening.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
One time, I just could not dislodge it. I entered the highway and got up to like 90, still screeching and embarrassingly audible despite the wind/road noise, and other drivers staring at me while I was passing them.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
100% a Rock in between dust shield and rotor. Happened on my FL5 as I was picking my daughter up from school and everyone was staring at me it was sooooo loud.

pulled wheel off and stuck my head around the top of the front caliper, pulled the dust shield back and there she was, a tiny piece of gravel. No damage done to the rotor.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
No shit, well that sounds like the most logical explanation, I’ll take the wheel off and check her out. Thank you all.
You probably don't even need to take the wheel off. I had this happen the other day and freaked out. If you just reach through and push on the dust shield a little the rock will probably fall right out like mine did.
Sponsored