• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Help with purchasing 2022 Hatchback LX, 1st time car buyer, lost

daylooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to look for some guidance with the car buying experience.

I am 1st time buyer so I have no experience with buying cars. Unfortunately, as intimidating as the whole process is, the pandemic has made it much worse. I will need a car within 1-2 months and am pretty decided on the Civic Hatchback (though I might have to look elsewhere). My first thought was to go used, but as we all know, the used car market is crazy right now. I'm seeing 3-4 year civics go for 22-28k on Carvana and CarMax. I then decided to go new but learned that MSRP means nothing, after all the adjustments (taxes, destination fee, price mark ups, add-ons) you're probably looking at +5k on top of MSRP. I've been quoted 35k and 29k for a 2022 Hatchback LX trim (I also learned dealerships keep adding a lot of unnecessary add ons to inflate the price). I'm out in SoCal so I'm sure that doesn't help either. Also I'm open to looking at the 2021 hatchback model but there seems to be even less availability of those cars than 2022.

Any guidance about what to do at this point, continue looking around hoping for more inventory? I've even considered leasing, renting a car through the big car rental companies, renting a car through Turo while I get this figured out.

Thanks in advance!
-Lost 1st time car buyer
Sponsored

andyg

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where are you in SoCal?

OP
OP

daylooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Haven't officially moved in yet but will likely be around the Anaheim area.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Go into the dealer, take a test drive, tell them you'll buy the car today if they agree to MSRP and no additional fees. Your bargaining power is increased if you're there, in person, ready to sign the papers. If you're truly willing to pay MSRP, they won't say no. We're not talking about a CTR or Si here...just a base model LX.

Edit: yes, you'll still have to pay taxes, title, and registration which will bump you 1-2k over MSRP. No one will give you MSRP out the door in this climate. Just make sure you pay no mark-ups or other BS fees like paint protection, etc.

OP
OP

daylooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Go into the dealer, take a test drive, tell them you'll buy the car today if they agree to MSRP and no additional fees. Your bargaining power is increased if you're there, in person, ready to sign the papers. If you're truly willing to pay MSRP, they won't say no. We're not talking about a CTR or Si here...just a base model LX.

Edit: yes, you'll still have to pay taxes, title, and registration which will bump you 1-2k over MSRP. No one will give you MSRP out the door in this climate. Just make sure you pay no mark-ups or other BS fees like paint protection, etc.
Great, thanks for the advice, will give this a try for nearby dealers. I'm also planning on having financing secured before I show up in person. When should I start looking for auto insurance? I believe you need the secure insurance before you drive it off the lot, correct?

andyg

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great, thanks for the advice, will give this a try for nearby dealers. I'm also planning on having financing secured before I show up in person. When should I start looking for auto insurance? I believe you need the secure insurance before you drive it off the lot, correct?
You do but if you have a provider, you can usually call them same day. I had a VIN before I picked mine up so I called a couple days before and said please make the policy effective as of X date.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Yeah same here, I actually secured my coverage on my phone's web browser after I got the VIN... I did it as I waited for the silly manager to finally agree to the deal. it was super quick and easy. The other option is if you already have full coverage on a different vehicle, you're good to go with the new one. (I didn't)
Sponsored