• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it?

tfcivicfl5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Considering buying the Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter accessories for my FL5. If anyone has them are they better than the leather steering wheel and aluminum shift knob (look and feel)?
Sponsored

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pilot, 1971 Triumph TR6, 2023 CTR
I love the shifter because, in the summer with the metal I could read the shift pattern on my palm. I currently have the Alcantra steering wheel on the car, it is brushed leather and feels good. But will have to cover it if I keep it on. Between fishing and working on cars it won't be good. The orginal is smooth leather.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I love the shifter because, in the summer with the metal I could read the shift pattern on my palm. I currently have the Alcantra steering wheel on the car, it is brushed leather and feels good. But will have to cover it if I keep it on. Between fishing and working on cars it won't be good. The orginal is smooth leather.
Very helpful, thank you. Any closeup photos you can share on the Alcantara steering wheel? Is it the same thickness as the standard leather steering wheel? Are the steering wheel thumb grips the same size and in the same location as the standard leather steering wheel?

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a few pics. Both wheels are the same with the exception of the leather, truthfully I only got the steering wheel and shift knob as part of a package. I paid MSRP for the car but had to buy the carbon wing, forged wheels, etc. i also included a pic of shifter cover for summer hand relief.
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_3652
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_3655
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_3656
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_3657

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Much appreciated. Thank you for posting. Last question...do you believe the alcantara is of high quality or do you get the sense the wheel will be a marred and matted mess in short order?

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it all depends on how clean you keep your hands. I mean it feels really nice, but I fish at least once a week and was a diesel mechanic for over 20 years so probably not for me. The cleaning instructions say lightly clean with damp cloth and then brush it. My personal opinion you are just buying the name. Good on a show car, not much for a daily driver, not for me anyway. I may put back on the stock on soon.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I think it all depends on how clean you keep your hands. I mean it feels really nice, but I fish at least once a week and was a diesel mechanic for over 20 years so probably not for me. The cleaning instructions say lightly clean with damp cloth and then brush it. My personal opinion you are just buying the name. Good on a show car, not much for a daily driver, not for me anyway. I may put back on the stock on soon.
That's right. The longevity depends on your hands - both cleanliness and how sweaty they get (referring to sweaty hands at the track). Sonax makes a good product to revive an alcantara steering wheel that has seen better days. Anyhow, I was simply interested in your thoughts on quality. For instance, if you've had an alcantara sterring wheel in another car you own or previously owned and your thoughts on the quality of the Honda version from look and feel perspective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, really helpful.

@tfcivicfl5, apologies for jacking your thread.

OP
OP

tfcivicfl5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I had 2 ctsv caddys with Alcantara steering wheels, it's a much nicer option, feels great but they do get matted down and ratty looking over time. You need to keep cleaning and maintaining it.. I'm still considering it for my fl5

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Here is a few pics. Both wheels are the same with the exception of the leather, truthfully I only got the steering wheel and shift knob as part of a package. I paid MSRP for the car but had to buy the carbon wing, forged wheels, etc. i also included a pic of shifter cover for summer hand relief.
IMG_3652.jpeg
IMG_3655.jpeg
IMG_3656.jpeg
IMG_3657.jpeg
Nice! I prefer to keep the steering stock because of Alcantara getting spoiled by our hand oils, and I like the look of the original shifter better, but I have got the same gear knob cover as you haha! It's not Deadpool though, I got their Iron Man version.

M!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, GR Yaris, FJ Cruiser, Jimny, NA and ND Miata
We get the alcantara wheel standard in our market, and compared to a smooth leather wheel it certainly feels nicer and much more special. I don't know how long it will last, but it's very, very nice while it's new.

That said, I probably won't bother spending a large sum to get it over a standard leather wheel

EvanMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR #01113, '17 CTR #02019 (sold), '22 Sienna
Considering buying the Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter accessories for my FL5. If anyone has them are they better than the leather steering wheel and aluminum shift knob (look and feel)?
Agree with the previous posts - I have the Alcantara wheel installed on the car and it really adds to the special-feeling of the car. I do daily it, and I plan to keep it as clean as possible.

I have the shifter too - it's never been installed (came with the car) - happy to sell to you for a v. good price - I just want it gone. I'm in Ottawa just north of NY state.

If you're interested in the shifter let me know! Also selling OEM carbon wing, illuminated side-sills...

Thanks!

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see we are getting rid of all the parts we didn't' want with the car. I plan on selling the Aclantara wheel and the high type r mats when my new weathertech type r labled mats get here today. I list when I get the Wheel swapped out.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
As was mentioned, I was warned about the heat issues... and now in the sub-freezing, it was really cold, and some winters it can be sub-zero F here in northern illinois. therefore, i got the red shifter, but i kept the orig aluminum. I personally think the aluminum looks better, but it's a major sacrifice for normal [very hot/cold] driving conditions. If i want to show the car, i would change it out... but the red does match, so it's good enough for normal driving.

It's a different feel, so it may or may not be preferable for track. The shape allows you to hook a finger under the cap -- which can be very helpful at times. It can also get in the way of those who like to slide their palm along the stick -- the red vers is stickier, while the metal is smooth. It's so personal, and it goes beyond cosmetics. Talking about cosmetics, here's a pick of mine -- i got the full-sided floor mats, too...

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Alcantara Suede Steering wheel and Red shifter worth it? IMG_9923-FL5-Inside.JPG

OP
OP

tfcivicfl5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I just got the red shifter knob today, haven't installed it yet. I do like the aluminum but here in NY it's freezing so the shifter is really cold. I cant imagine what it will be like in the summer.

Although the alum may be a little nicer the red leather version gives it a more custom look than stock.

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
I have the leather shifter. It's a must in FL in my opinion. Had a metal one in my Si and I hated it, even with chef hands. I like the look personally. It goes well with the interior and is exactly the kind of shifter I like.
Sponsored