• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
I would scrap the screws provided with dried thread lock. I would install fresh ones with fresh thread lock that would go in easy and not cause my issues I had. Maybe even higher quality rivnuts as the ones provided are not good quality. Drill slow as the metal is very easy to drill into. And box in your holes. After you dot your marks to drill. Box each mark with tape to keep your drill steady. Then once you have starter holes. Then remove the tape and go for it with the 35mm hole saw.
Sponsored

Attachments

Siva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic
???‍♂?‍♂
These 3 black holes are the metal frame painted in black right behind the outer plastic shell? Also they don't seem to have any space between the outer plastic shell and black frame, is that right?

11th Gen Honda Civic HPD spoiler INSTALL on 2022 CIVIC HATCHBACK - DIY writeup & pics 123

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Upgrading to this GT wing should be a breeze after this. They appear to be mounted at the same location:

11th Gen Honda Civic HPD spoiler INSTALL on 2022 CIVIC HATCHBACK - DIY writeup & pics 1641279819013

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the black metal plate you see inside the 35mm holes is welded steel thick reinforcement. The sides of those 35mm holes is about 1/8 layer of plastic. Then a then layer of body metal painted. I've never seen anything like it. ?‍♂ I believe its steps into sound deadening and stability for the spoiler which the 10th gen lacked.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
Yes the black metal plate you see inside the 35mm holes is welded steel thick reinforcement. The sides of those 35mm holes is about 1/8 layer of plastic. Then a then layer of body metal painted. I've never seen anything like it. ?‍♂ I believe its steps into sound deadening and stability for the spoiler which the 10th gen lacked.
but now I’m wondering looking at both pics. Your three holes are staggered, whereas the type-R holes “COULD” be in a more straight alignment.

Wont know that answer for many months still… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Siva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic
???‍♂?‍♂
So it is likely that I am going to scratch the black paint like you did when drilling those 6 holes since there is no real way to see or to stop the drill before it happen because the plastic and metal are so close to each other.

but now I’m wondering looking at both pics. Your three holes are staggered, whereas the type-R holes “COULD” be in a more straight alignment.

Wont know that answer for many months still… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Or it could be there are more hole underneath there or it will only use 2 holes per side. Like you said, it is hard to say unless we actually see it ourself.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it is likely that I am going to scratch the black paint like you did when drilling those 6 holes since there is no real way to see or to stop the drill before it happen because the plastic and metal are so close to each other.

Or it could be there are more hole underneath there or it will only use 2 holes per side. Like you said, it is hard to say unless we actually see it ourself.
Yeah now I’m really curious in looking at all this.

And even tho I ordered the HPD wing, being that I work there, I didn’t have to pay for it yet. Plus it’s on national backorder, so it may be some time still. Dunno…

Maybe I’ll wait to see the CTR wing in production form before doing anything…

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The black metal plate under the metal and plastic is a decent guage. My guess is 3/16 standard carbon steel compared to grade 5. Yes, since the space was so tight between the layers I put silicone sealer vs the supplied rubber washers . They just wouldn't go in. It was way too tight.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@HondaPro
ok so... it makes way more sense now that I've looked at our technical manuals at work.
The black steel reinforced plate were looking (with the smaller "black hole") is a pre-existing hole, and so all you're really doing is exposing these mounting holes by drilling into the out shell.
Here's a pic from the service docs:
11th Gen Honda Civic HPD spoiler INSTALL on 2022 CIVIC HATCHBACK - DIY writeup & pics 1641581548125

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, exactly. But the provided washer rubber seals were a joke. The gap was sooo tight they just wouldn't fit. Also with the right hole saw the hole is cut so clean. You don't need to try to clean up burs. Their were none.

Ways Honda could improve the install would be to include clean new Hex bolts with separate locktite. Better quality Rivet nuts that wouldn't bend so easy. The Philips head bolts supplied requires down force that pushes / bending the rivnuts causing the back side to slip. But if you use clean hex bolts and add dabs of locktite it would require "No" down force just turning force drawing it up tight. ?

11th Gen Honda Civic HPD spoiler INSTALL on 2022 CIVIC HATCHBACK - DIY writeup & pics Screenshot_20220108-155645_Gallery

Last edited:

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, exactly. But the provided washer rubber seals were a joke. The gap was sooo tight they just wouldn't fit. Also with the right hole saw the hole is cut so clean. You don't need to try to clean up burs. Their were none.

Ways Honda could improve the install would be to include clean new Hex bolts with separate locktite. Better quality Rivet nuts that wouldn't bend so easy. The Philips head bolts supplied requires down force that pushes / bending the rivnuts causing the back side to slip. But if you use clean hex bolts and add dabs of locktite it would require "No" down force just turning force drawing it up tight. ?

Screenshot_20220108-155645_Gallery.jpg
No doubt about it….Honda purposely made this one a pain in the ass to discourage DIY’s….

Tbh, not even us Service Tech’s are happy about it either lol.

“Sure let’s drill SIX massive 35mm holes into someone else’s brand new paint!” ??

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see your point of view but after doing it. It's brilliant. It's so solid. Just simple hardware quality tweaks should be made for Service Techs and DIYs. I wish I would have video it. Trust your template and remember if you are a hair off no big deal. As the Rivet nuts go in the pre placement hole. The fear of it not fitting properly or alignment is just fear. It's a perfect placement.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see your point of view but after doing it. It's brilliant. It's so solid. Just simple hardware quality tweaks should be made for Service Techs and DIYs. I wish I would have video it. Trust your template and remember if you are a hair off no big deal. As the Rivet nuts go in the pre placement hole. The fear of it not fitting properly or alignment is just fear. It's a perfect placement.
Exactly, and after looking at all this install more in-depth, I’m starting to feel like drilling holes twice the size of the actual mounting holes themselves, may be more of a necessity than a nuisance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This wing was 100% over-designed IMO. Could have been a lot simpler install… like you said, they could have easily just put a few bolts on the “wing” end, then pop off the inner hatch trim, tighten up the bolts and done!

Either way, mine will hopefully arrive soon ????

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 10th Gen Oem Si spoiler install was much easier. With a brake light wiring considered. I did that 2 times and posted pics in CivicX forums. But I feel that Honda went to the extent of a steel spine because the possibly turbulence. I feel that it's awesome and with the spoiler installed 10x better looking than the Sedan Si.

My next addition is going to be a Body kit from Mugen. ?

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?? Me after the install.. Every day looking at my civic. Very happy and canceled my 2022 Si order. I just can't go backwards. ?
Sponsored