• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you?

bobdvd

First Name
RobertKm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic
I don't know what the Civic Hybrid will offer yet but if the previous gen Insight gives us any hints or insights, I would expect/hope for the following:
1. Nearly Equally good handling to the 1.5T 2022 Civic
2. Not more than 150 pounds heavier
3. Nearly equally as fast.
4. Aftermarket parts for the gasoline Civic should bolt right on the Hybrid.
5. Priced very competitive, perhaps only 2000 dollars more.

Here's a bonus: the Civic Hybrid might be more reliable than the gasoline because it doesn't use the 1.5T engine and the eCVT might be more responsive than the CVT in the gas Civic. The eCVT is actually not even a CVT but an electric motor.

What do you hope for?
Sponsored

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Whether it'll get a copy/paste of the Euro civic with the 181hp or if they'll see fit to give it the 204hp tune that the CRV and Accord have.

Honda has said they wanted the hybrids to be the performers of the trim lineups. They've stated the 1.5T is sticking around a bit longer. So logic says the 204hp version could be the winner for the hybrid civic. If the 1.5T is/was going away, then my bet would be the 181hp version, which won't be any quicker based on euro reviewers estimates.

Given how they've slotted the hybrids into the CRV and Accord, I wonder how the trim lineup could look for the civic. LX with base 2.0, Sport and ST/Touring with hybrid, EX and EXL getting the 1.5T seems like too much to offer on the civic. Could we see the base 2.0 go away and get replaced by the 1.5T like on accord and CRV? Hard to say.

If the civic hybrid could manage to eek the quickness of the civic back to where the 10th gen civic turbos were (high 6 range) while giving back around 50mpg I'll definitely be giving them a hard look. After being somewhat let down by the 11th gen civics and new Integra, the civic hybrid may sway me.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Unless Honda has figured out how to incorporate performance and fuel economy I would rather they simply stay focused on fuel economy and refinement.

If you want more performance oriented hybrids then use Acura for that, if by performance.. we mean it comes at the expense of fuel economy anyway.

Current Honda hybrid owners are looking for fuel economy.

Future Honda hybrid customers would be easier to sell with higher fuel economy.

The Civic is better than everything in it's class.

OP
OP

bobdvd

First Name
RobertKm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic
Some sad news: I am learning that CIVIC e:HEV has a 2.0L DIRECT INJECTED engine.... I was hoping for more traditional non-turbo non-direct injected technology

Oh well.....

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Honda has stated they want their hybrids to be their top performers in their trim lines (exceptions being Type R and maybe Si). The hybrid setup in the CRV and Accord perform better (in a measurement of quickness AND efficiency) compared to the 1.5T having more HP and a lot more torque. Performance oriented hybrids aren't a new idea anymore, there are plenty of them around these days, and even Toyota's hybrids manage to be both more powerful and more efficient than what Honda has shown so far. Hyundai/Kia and others are also mating hybrid setups to turbo engines, further boosting the performance/efficiency quotient.

Acura doesn't have any hybrids, and won't going forward.

Honda buyers be they hybrid or otherwise, present or future, can't be assumed to only have one priority in a vehicle. If you can get better efficiency and performance at the same time, people will choose that over having to pick one or the other and compromise dramatically. Honda historically has had a strong enthusiast base of buyers, even if not the majority, why purposely lose sales if you can help it?

The civic's lead over its direct competition has slipped... that's not saying it's a bad car, it just shows how much the competition has worked to catch up. Civic is still probably the best "jack of all trades" in its segment, but if they don't keep a competitive mindset going forward, they will fall behind. The new CRV and especially Accord are already showing this lack of competitive standing versus other offerings that have better performance, better value per dollar, more/better features/tech, etc.

Honda's current product portfolio, as much as I love Honda as a brand, feels heavily dialed-in compared to how competitive their previous gen cars felt when they were released IMO. But that also seems to be a Honda thing with odd number generations.
I'm not sure we are disagreeing overall.

The views instated are my own, from the perspective of someone who sells them. In my limited scope, people are not buying Honda for performance reasons. Sure everyone wants great performance... However they want that performance to look good or be reliable or have that as the reputation.

People want impressive fuel economy without sacrificing performance or that is what is what seems to me.

Performance Hybrids are not new anymore? Well of course not. The V6 Hybrid Accord is an example of that... And an example of missing the mark. Though I'll say the mindset of the consumer is different now. These cars are aimed at millennials and younger.

Hybrids never seemed to be the answer to Honda. I would say the same of Toyota too. However the success of the Prius should be acknowledged. Not only as feat for Toyota but as a defeat for Honda. Misunderstanding the buyer in comparison. This will continue to be my worry as Honda has not shown any ability to truly grab something in the Hybrid world.

That said options will not be plentiful. These days Hybrids seem like a political issue which is sad. I wish we could grow away from looking at everything in red or blue lenses. We are doing well with the Hybrid CRV. Despite production supposed nearing 50%.. a majority of buyers seem to be leaning toward hybrid despite the so so fuel economy gain in areas like mine. I am sure sure an even higher percentage of hybrids are sold in urban areas were their efficiency is better realized.

I think only now with California/EU 2035 have they decided to allocate more resources to electrification and hybrids. Obviously that makes sense. I do believe a change in leadership also heavily influenced this also.

I will disagree...

Honda a buyers are not by majority enthusiasts, not even close. They are rarely so in my involvement with them. I, as an enthusiasts get VERY excited when I have an enthusiast to speak with. Want to know the people who are most enthusiastic about Hondas? Ridgeline buyers. At least in my experience.

If this were early 2000s I would agree with you that at the very least a strong percentage of Honda buyers are enthusiasts.

Edit # 2343

Also yes I do believe the competition is all over Honda. When you look at the electrification and appeal. I still think Honda has much to offer versus the competition. My main worry is their ability to produce vehicles at this current time. It reminds me of when there was the massive earthquake in Japan which heavily impacted Hondas ability to produce vehicles and Hyundai/Kia took advantage. Competition is fierce.

Last edited:

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I'm not sure we are disagreeing here.

The views instated are my own, from the perspective of someone who sells them. In my limited scope, people are not buying Honda for performance reasons period.

Not trying to start an argument. My views are also my own as someone who has bought my hondas based on their performance compared to competition. Buyers like me are a huge reason forums like this and others exist. It's why honda's aftermarket is so strong. Performance minded buyers exist, again, not as the majority, but as someone that has owned the last 3 generations of civic consistently, performance was one metric that kept me from upgrading to the 11th generation, opting to keep my 10th gen (i had other reasons as well), and have spoken to many other 10th gen owners that decided the same for similar reasons.

I also get that majority of hybrid buyers are more concerned about efficiency first, but Honda also wants their hybrids to be their volume sellers going forward until the full EV switch is made down the line. That means their hybrids need to appeal to more than just efficiency minded buyers, and honda performance enthusiasts are one example of those other demographics they need to appeal to, especially since hybrids historically have had a poor reputation as being boring, slow, appliances. I say that from my background in marketing and advertising, they need to cater to more than just efficiency minded people, and still try and pull enthusiasts that want a little more in their daily drivers.

If anything, Honda has been a pioneer of the idea of a performance hybrid, testing the waters with the somewhat flawed CR-Z and later with the Acura NSX. Hybrid technology has come a long way since cars like the CR-Z, and even the new Toyota prius is attempting to tackle a more stylish and performance oriented mindset with its new iteration.

I'm not saying they need to try and make all their cars into hyper performance hybrids. But especially in the shrinking segment of sporty compact sedans/hatches, we're seeing those performance minded buyers condensing into the remaining good options. Offering the civic hybrid with solid performance, along with the efficiency gained with electrification, only stands elevate the brands image and secure even more sales for their hybrids going forward.

Honda already has the perfect copy/paste opportunity with the accord/crv hybrid setup that would make a smaller lighter car like the civic hybrid a properly quick car within its segment, as well as position that option above the current 1.5T offered, which seems to be what honda wants to do if their marketing speak has any truth to it. While that powertrain may not have been an ideal replacement for the 2.0T in the accord, it would serve perfectly replacing the 1.5T in the civic as the more powerful, quicker, more refined option.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I think Hondas are a great option for enthusiasts versus the competition.

I don't think Toyota is trying to make their vehicles more enjoyable to drive. It certainly isn't because they are incapable.

Mazda seems to be the only one focused on this more than Honda that is... Somewhat a competitor. Though as often Indirectly as direct.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Not trying to start an argument..
This is a debate. Two reasonable people can do so. We all walk different paths to arrive to where we are. I enjoy a healthy debate. I do not enjoy arguments.

First Name
Teja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2024 Civic Hybrid Owner
I'm hoping that the Civic Hybrid will be on the EX and Touring trims.
Whereas the LX and Sport might be Gasoline ICE Trims.
I want a 2024 Honda Civic Hybrid Touring (Sedan).

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Just buy a Prius if you want efficiency

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Just buy a Prius if you want efficiency
I want both. Sport touring handling/ feel and interior (add lumbar) w superior efficiency. Not for political reasons but for efficiency. Price it right and Id consider trading in my 22 ST.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I want both. Sport touring handling/ feel and interior (add lumbar) w superior efficiency. Not for political reasons but for efficiency. Price it right and Id consider trading in my 22 ST.
New Prius with 200+ hp may check those boxes

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Lol Prius are awful driving experiences...
Sponsored