• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is FL5 suspension too firm for daily driving (in comfort mode)?

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
You are incorrect.

Shaft seals develop leaks. Metering orifices erode. Hydraulic fluid loses viscosity. Shim stacks weaken. Control springs creep. Gas charges deplete. So, despite what you believe, shocks absolutely do lose their dampening capacity with cyclical age. If someone told you shocks don't wear out, stop listening to them. About anything.

And for the record, I never said shocks "break in". Those are your projected words.

BTW: You should also know that I am a JRi shock dealer, and there is a shock dyno sitting in the shop with me as I type this. Unlike most people on the internet, when I say something it is because I actually know what I am talking about.
Thanks for the unnecessary tangent attempting to prove your something that no one cares about. Wow, you sell shocks and have a shock dyno; no one is impressed.

Your comment of ā€˜softening upā€™ is completely different from failure due to age and contradictory to your original statement. Softening isnā€™t failure and shocks donā€™t ā€˜softenā€™ if functioning properly.

Tootles bro. āœŒ
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
All suspension setups are a compromise of some kind. The only questions is did the manufacturer hit the right balance. I believe Honda has done an excellent job here. I can drive for hours with minimal wear and tear on my 67 year old back and bottom, or canyon carve with the best of them.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Thanks for the unnecessary tangent
You are welcome
attempting to prove your something that no one cares about. Wow, you sell shocks and have a shock dyno; no one is impressed.
I don't know if you should be impressed, but if you were actually interested in improving your knowledge, you should at least understand that, just maybe, I might know a lot more on this subject than you. Therefore, you might have a great opportunity to learn something if you paid attention and listened. But you won't, as you are clearly a Dunning-Kruger kid.
Your comment of ā€˜softening upā€™ is completely different from failure due to age
Softening up and failure are indeed different things. The problem here is I never stated anything about "failure" and in fact never used that word or any synonym of the word. The same as I never used the term "break-in" as you tried to state in your last post. These things would truly go a lot smoother if you would work on your reading comprehension and retention skills.
and contradictory to your original statement. Softening isnā€™t failure
Again, I never said "failure" and never stated or implied "failure" and "softening" are the same thing. (Though softening could be failure, depending on the defined metrics of "failure"). Where do you come up with these things? I mean, you are just making things up that you believe I said.
and shocks donā€™t ā€˜softenā€™ if functioning properly.
And you couldn't be more wrong. Shocks have wearable components and are typically in a constant state of deteriorating performance with cyclical life (with the sometimes exception of an initial 'seat-in" period). I have seen this myself in shock dyno examinations. Oh wait, I am sorry. The fact that I am a shock dealer and have access to a shock dyno is an unnecessary tangent. Nothing about shocks has ever been learned on a shock dyno. No relevance to the subject whatsoever. So sorry.

Don't want to believe me? Try this:

Monroe.com-What causes shocks & struts to wear out.

Of course knowing how you DK kids roll you will probably insist that Monroe, one the world's largest shock manufacturers, doesn't know what they are talking about either.

Don't like what Monroe has to say? Try this one:

tirereview.com-What Really Wears Out Inside Shocks

I mean, this stuff is not hard to find. Not if are truly trying to find the real facts, and not focusing on trying to support your incorrect position.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
You are welcome

I don't know if you should be impressed, but if you were actually interested in improving your knowledge, you should at least understand that, just maybe, I might know a lot more on this subject than you. Therefore, you might have a great opportunity to learn something if you paid attention and listened. But you won't, as you are clearly a Dunning-Kruger kid.

Softening up and failure are indeed different things. The problem here is I never stated anything about "failure" and in fact never used that word or any synonym of the word. The same as I never used the term "break-in" as you tried to state in your last post. These things would truly go a lot smoother if you would work on your reading comprehension and retention skills.

Again, I never said "failure" and never stated or implied "failure" and "softening" are the same thing. (Though softening could be failure, depending on the defined metrics of "failure"). Where do you come up with these things? I mean, you are just making things up that you believe I said.

And you couldn't be more wrong. Shocks have wearable components and are typically in a constant state of deteriorating performance with cyclical life (with the sometimes exception of an initial 'seat-in" period). I have seen this myself in shock dyno examinations. Oh wait, I am sorry. The fact that I am a shock dealer and have access to a shock dyno is an unnecessary tangent. Nothing about shocks has ever been learned on a shock dyno. No relevance to the subject whatsoever. So sorry.

Don't want to believe me? Try this:

Monroe.com-What causes shocks & struts to wear out.

Of course knowing how you DK kids roll you will probably insist that Monroe, one the world's largest shock manufacturers, doesn't know what they are talking about either.

Don't like what Monroe has to say? Try this one:

tirereview.com-What Really Wears Out Inside Shocks

I mean, this stuff is not hard to find. Not if are truly trying to find the real facts, and not focusing on trying to support your incorrect position.
You literally just validated what I said.
Did you even read your links? It says DAMAGED bushings, WORN oil, etcā€¦.

Itā€™s hilarious you tried to insult my intelligence with a DK comment when you canā€™t even correlate working and damaged is not functioning within designed spec and classified as failing or failed. The very definition of worn is damaged. I also didnā€™t imply or state shocks didnā€™t have wearable components so maybe you should check your reading as well sport.

The reality is if a shock is ā€œsofteningā€ itā€™s because the components are WORN or DAMAGED requiring replacement. Itā€™s not how shocks are supposed to work and increases wear on springs, bushings, and other components. That said, your advice of ā€œtheyā€™ll soften over timeā€ is simply dumb because thatā€™s not how shocks function. If itā€™s softening then itā€™s malfunctioning not ideal so it should be replace

Now go on about your day and go install new Monroe shocks on aunties Buick Regal or check those blinkers for a safety inspection slugger.

Anyway, have a good day chief. šŸ¤™

Last edited:

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
No issues whatsoever. Comfort is softer than my 11th gen Si, and a tad firmer than a base Sport. It's a brilliant daily driver.
Curious as I'm in the same boat hopefully moving to R from an 11th gen Si. Can we put the rear Si seats into the R?

The middle seat in the back is so unnecessarily punishing.

scoutduke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Make sure they took the transport blocks off of your civic. They had left mine on which made it a little bit stiffer than I expected. Once I took them off and drove around in comfort mode it felt almost exactly like my SI from a suspension point of view.
Iā€™m glad I stumbled across your post @spacetimeglitch. I just picked up my new FL5 today and thought the ride was unexpected stiff in comfort mode. Read your comment, ran out to check and sure enough, dealer failed to remove the transport blocks on the front springs. I checked the rears and didnā€™t see anything that looked like it needed to be removed. Did you only have transport blocks on the front?

11th Gen Honda Civic Is FL5 suspension too firm for daily driving (in comfort mode)? 901F4374-B661-444C-8002-F47AE303C179

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Only on the front. I asked to keep my blocks so that I knew the dealer removed all of them during the PDI!

Last edited:

scoutduke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Only on the front. I asked to keep my blocks so that I knew the dealer removed all of them during the PDI!
Okay, thanks.! Dealer is local, so Iā€™ll take the car back and let them finish the PDI. I didnā€™t even look over the PDI checklist, but Iā€™ll do that this morning. I wonder what else was overlooked.?

qwertypop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000, 2022 Sienna, 2023 FL5 Type R
Hey me too. Getting it removed soon. Is there any damage if it was left there? Havenā€™t driven much

11th Gen Honda Civic Is FL5 suspension too firm for daily driving (in comfort mode)? B8A5A0B5-2854-49D6-BDF5-B0D59E712C3B

scoutduke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Hey me too. Getting it removed soon. Is there any damage if it was left there? Havenā€™t driven much

B8A5A0B5-2854-49D6-BDF5-B0D59E712C3B.jpeg
I had the blocks removed by the dealer at 59 miles. I hit some rough roads, railroad tracks, etc beforehand. Thereā€™s no damage I can notice. I believe itā€™s possible thereā€™s damage that will lead to premature upper shock mount failure, but itā€™s not likely. Iā€™m not worried about it. The salesman apologized and offered a detail and tank of gas. I accepted his apology but nothing else. I think itā€™s the service manager that should be making concessions. But the massive torque steer and teeth rattling ride is all gone now. Im happy and plan to just enjoy driving the car.
Sponsored