• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
From another thread, here’s some info from @AspecR, clearly one of the most knowledgeable people on here. 🙂

“The VIN denotes color, and production relative to the region your car belongs to. The VIN plate denotes where your car is in total production.
My VIN ends in 882, so my car is the 882nd Boost Blue Type R.
My badge number is R-02988, so my car was the 2988th Type R off the total production line.”

This doesn’t help us understand how many total FL5’s have been made, though. The only way to know would be to know the last VIN of any color for any region made or know the last badge # used…which I don’t think anyone knows except Honda.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
From another thread, here’s some info from @AspecR, clearly one of the most knowledgeable people on here. 🙂

“The VIN denotes color, and production relative to the region your car belongs to. The VIN plate denotes where your car is in total production.
My VIN ends in 882, so my car is the 882nd Boost Blue Type R.
My badge number is R-02988, so my car was the 2988th Type R off the total production line.”

This doesn’t help us understand how many total FL5’s have been made, though. The only way to know would be to know the last VIN of any color for any region made or know the last badge # used…which I don’t think anyone knows except Honda.
Ahhh ok if this is the case then mine is in the 900s of Championship White FL5s produced but 3000 something overall.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess what I’m saying (outside of important numbers like #0001 and the last # produced) is that the badge numbers themselves are sequential. If they’re running a tight ship (as I believe Honda does), one would only hope that they wouldn’t do something so egregious as put badge #2000 on car #1001. I can totally see badges being applied to cars in batches of like 10-20 cars, though. In that case, perhaps badge #990 might get put on car #998 or vice versa. This way the badge numbers still correlate to a production date or a production batch of 10-20 cars. That seems completely reasonable…though, to your point…doesn’t provide a perfectly accurate number of cars produced.🤔

We need someone who works on the production line or quality assurance to chime in.🤣
For the FK8 we know that badge numbers were intentionally not assigned sequentially. From a Swindon factory worker. It can easily be assumed that Honda intentionally does not want the badge numbers (outside of maybe the first 10 or 100 that are specially earmarked for VIPs) to correlate.

Assigning the numbers sequentially would result in people claiming more value to lower numbers, which would result in dealers feeling that Honda was playing favorites or treating them unfairly by giving them higher or lower numbers.

Makes sense to me to intentionally randomize the numbers.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@MadMage Even so, I think it’s reasonably clear the numbers aren’t entirely random and are still following production numbers to some extent. People who got their cars late last year, have lower badge numbers than those getting their cars this year, which makes sense. To what extent do the badges follow the actual number of cars coming out of the factory? We don’t know.

I agree with you that at least some randomness is reasonable, but I don’t think complete randomness is the case. Maybe they’re randomly applied per every 20 cars? So, numbers 980-1000 (for example) could get randomly applied to a group of 20 cars built around the same time. Know what I’m saying? So it’s random, but perhaps not completely random. That was my point earlier.

What you’re saying makes sense, though, with respect to preventing one region from getting all the low numbered cars (based on shipping schedules etc). So maybe the random badge applications are more like every 100-200 cars.🤔
Sponsored

Last edited: