• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

APH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR (FL5), BMW M2C (F87)
Does anyone know historical sales numbers for the FK8 in Japan? I could only find American and global numbers.
I've been trying to find the same info.

While I couldn't find for Japan, I did find an article suggesting there were about 1,200 - 1,300 FK8s sold in Australia.

How many were sold in America? It would be great to understand how the approx. 48,000 FK8s were split across the various markets.
Sponsored

OP
OP
skeg808

skeg808

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, GR86
Isn’t this actually quite a bit? 5500 cars in a year and a half for Japan seems like a lot, and I believe there’s much fewer GRC’s planning to be sold each year in Japan right?
The allocation for 5 years of FK8 to Japan was around 4,100 so this is already more planned than the whole run.
The dealer said Honda was unhappy about the second hand market price inflation so they are trying to avoid it this time around. (Again that’s in the context of Japan where new car markups are not a thing)

GRC manufacturing will be 6,000-8,000 per year and they say the allocation to Japan market for 2023 is around 1,250. The GRC is likely to be a lot harder to get and will only be sold in Japan through the GR Garage dealers rather than the Yaris or 86 which can be bought at any dealer.

Reactions: APH

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I've been trying to find the same info.

While I couldn't find for Japan, I did find an article suggesting there were about 1,200 - 1,300 FK8s sold in Australia.

How many were sold in America? It would be great to understand how the approx. 48,000 FK8s were split across the various markets.
I believe in the US it was roughly 4000 a year.

Reactions: APH

11GenImUnsure

First Name
11thGen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feet
OP... I think you might be late. /s

On a more serious note, a user I follow on Twitter who is based in Japan posted this screenshot of a converstation he had (presumably with a dealer).

11th Gen Honda Civic Japanese Market Info: 2023 Civic Type R Ordering, Production Volume, Deliveries FYEninZacAAwITo

Having read this thread prior to seeing the Twitter post, I was curious to what it fully said. A google translate showed the following:

10:36AM (Dealer?)
: "Good morning. Although there is time until the departure, it has been decided to receive advance orders ahead of schedule within the corporation. The price etc. will be boiled down soon. Not the order form that I showed you last time. It's just a verbal intention, but what about it? "

10:59AM (Twitter User) : "Yes, it's okay. I will buy it. Thank you."

11:00AM (Dealer?) : "Congratulations on the second TYPE R in total. Let's proceed while guiding the future flow from time to time!"

11:00AM (Twitter User) : "Yes! Thank you."

OP
OP
skeg808

skeg808

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, GR86
The reference to 法人内 (Corporation) would mean that specific dealer network. Like Honda Cars Nagoya or Honda Cars Osaka or something. It would make sense for some of those companies to control who gets to make orders so this dealer is trying to understand if the person is going to make an order so they can book in that reservation.

Fortunately my local dealer is not doing that and orders are getting filled on a first come basis. Luckily my dealer is the ĺş—é•· (manager) of this shop so he was easily able to call up their head-office and confirm all the details for me.

I can say for sure that until an actual order is placed in person most dealer networks are not going to make guarantees but since the allocations across all of Japan are relatively limited and there is clearly demand judging but the crazy prices on the second hand market it makes sense some dealers are going to put extra processes in place.

The numbers I saw in the dealer emails makes me think they will be avoiding a "sold out" scenario but delivery times could be 12-18 months.

For reference when I ordered my GR86 at the begining of the year I had to wait about 5 weeks before I could actually place the order because Subaru had just finished the A-type allocations and begun planning for the B-type model year which means they put a stop on orders until the next model details are announced. The dealers cannot actually order the car from the factory until the order codes are issued.

Totally unrelated but the GR86 does have quite a Type-R feel to it. Fun car.
11th Gen Honda Civic Japanese Market Info: 2023 Civic Type R Ordering, Production Volume, Deliveries DSC01305-2
11th Gen Honda Civic Japanese Market Info: 2023 Civic Type R Ordering, Production Volume, Deliveries DSC01310-2

Lamotrigine

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GE8
The reference to 法人内 (Corporation) would mean that specific dealer network. Like Honda Cars Nagoya or Honda Cars Osaka or something. It would make sense for some of those companies to control who gets to make orders so this dealer is trying to understand if the person is going to make an order so they can book in that reservation.

Fortunately my local dealer is not doing that and orders are getting filled on a first come basis. Luckily my dealer is the ĺş—é•· (manager) of this shop so he was easily able to call up their head-office and confirm all the details for me.

I can say for sure that until an actual order is placed in person most dealer networks are not going to make guarantees but since the allocations across all of Japan are relatively limited and there is clearly demand judging but the crazy prices on the second hand market it makes sense some dealers are going to put extra processes in place.

The numbers I saw in the dealer emails makes me think they will be avoiding a "sold out" scenario but delivery times could be 12-18 months.

For reference when I ordered my GR86 at the begining of the year I had to wait about 5 weeks before I could actually place the order because Subaru had just finished the A-type allocations and begun planning for the B-type model year which means they put a stop on orders until the next model details are announced. The dealers cannot actually order the car from the factory until the order codes are issued.

Totally unrelated but the GR86 does have quite a Type-R feel to it. Fun car.
DSC01305-2.jpg
DSC01310-2.jpg
Thanks for the heads up! White looks so good on your 86!

Tokyotexan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Evo 5, 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS coupe
The allocation for 5 years of FK8 to Japan was around 4,100 so this is already more planned than the whole run.
The dealer said Honda was unhappy about the second hand market price inflation so they are trying to avoid it this time around. (Again that’s in the context of Japan where new car markups are not a thing)

GRC manufacturing will be 6,000-8,000 per year and they say the allocation to Japan market for 2023 is around 1,250. The GRC is likely to be a lot harder to get and will only be sold in Japan through the GR Garage dealers rather than the Yaris or 86 which can be bought at any dealer.
Those GRC numbers don't seem to be right. The US is getting 6600 GRC's for it's first year. So if US gets 6600 and Japan gets 1250, that leaves what 150 or so for the rest of the markets that the GRC will be available (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.)?

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
hmmm this is some maybe good news. however you have to remember...just because japan's allocation is higher, does not mean the usa will be pumping cars out like nothing...

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boost Blue FK8
Those GRC numbers don't seem to be right. The US is getting 6600 GRC's for it's first year. So if US gets 6600 and Japan gets 1250, that leaves what 150 or so for the rest of the markets that the GRC will be available (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.)?
well a majority of the cars sold are in those two markets tbh. 19k of the whole production of fk8s went to the usa

OP
OP
skeg808

skeg808

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, GR86
Jpn gets a way nicer infotainment and interior color combo.
Actually all Japan cars come with no infotainment (just speakers and steering wheel switches) so this was an Amazon purchase install by me.

Interior looks awesome though. Reminds me a lot of the DC5 Integra Type R that I never should have sold...
11th Gen Honda Civic Japanese Market Info: 2023 Civic Type R Ordering, Production Volume, Deliveries DCF_2741.NEF

Actually this purchase was my fallback when I discovered that for the price of a good, unmolested second hand DC5 I could buy a brand new GR86!
11th Gen Honda Civic Japanese Market Info: 2023 Civic Type R Ordering, Production Volume, Deliveries DSC01400

Does the US not get this color interior?

Last edited:

Tokyotexan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well a majority of the cars sold are in those two markets tbh. 19k of the whole production of fk8s went to the usa
Maybe so, but you seriously think Canada and Australia will only get a total of 150 GRC's? If you do, I got a bridge in Brooklyn that I will sell you

OP
OP
skeg808

skeg808

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, GR86

Tokyotexan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That article is referring to NA GRC sales, more specifically the US. Come to think of it, with the addition of 200 ME GRC's coming to the states, the max 8000 "global" production numbers you claim is wrong. US now gets 6800 GRC's and if Japan gets 1250 as you claim, that already exceeds the max 8000 units. Not to mention the units that will ship to Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
Sponsored