• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Manual Cars - Way to engage Parking Brake Automatically?

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Supra Turbo, 1000hp Lexus SC300, 22 Civic Si...
I have a 2022 Si. The electronic parking brake seems useless to me if there is no way to configure it to engage automatically, when say turning off the vehicle. All the vehicles I had prior to this with an electronic parking brake allowed for you to enable it or disable it upon turning off the vehicle. Is there something in the setting I missed?

My main concern is I have to park in parking garages a lot and if most cars enable the electronic parking brake when turning off the vehicle I am afraid this car is going to be left with no brake and roll into something.
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I've never seen that on other cars, but I've had Subarus and Hondas mostly. I wish we had the manual parking brake handle like my Subaru has rather than the electronic version.

Parking in gear is a bit of insurance as long as you aren't on a big slope. It can hold the car on its own most of the time in case you forget to engage the parking brake as long as the slope isn't too large. My Si will roll back a few inches every once and a while if left on my driveway without the parking brake, but my driveway has some slope.

SGSiSaajan

First Name
Saajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Yours doesnā€™t engage automatically? I also have a 2022 Si and it engages when I take off my seatbelt when the car is stopped.

OP
OP
GetterDragun

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My concern is most European cars do this (well at least my Mercedes did and my Alfas do). I just have a feeling parking garage attendants are not going to know to do this.

11th Gen Honda Civic Manual Cars - Way to engage Parking Brake Automatically? ParkBrake

OP
OP
GetterDragun

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yours doesnā€™t engage automatically? I also have a 2022 Si and it engages when I take off my seatbelt when the car is stopped.
No, this is good to hear that is does, I just can't find the setting (I am assuming there is one, since I've seen most cars with electronic brakes do).

Really wish this had a manual parking brake...but I guess it's the way all the cars are going.

SGSiSaajan

First Name
Saajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I really hope it isnā€™t this, since itā€™s often the answer, but I wonder if itā€™s a Canadian car thing in my case?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well it isn't an auto apply situation but if you can get it to engage with the belt being released that is better than nothing, that is a safety feature more than an auto application setting. I remember mine engaging once when I released the belt and opened the door with the car running.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Do you guys not use the brake hold? First thing I do after starting is push the brake hold button. After that it holds the brakes every time I stop. If I undo my seatbelt while stopped it engages the parking brake. When I park and turn off the car it engages the parking brake. Been doing this since 2016 and my first Civic Sedan LX 6MT. Works the same on my ā€˜22 Si.
In both cases, brake hold engaged or parking brake engaged, all that is required is to drive away normally as long as my seatbelt is on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GetterDragun

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oof, it could be a Canadian thing.

I will play with different combos tomorrow to see if I can get it to engage.

BTW, can you switch your digital gauges to MPH. I may want to try to retrofit the Canadian gauge cluster in.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oof, it could be a Canadian thing.

I will play with different combos tomorrow to see if I can get it to engage.

BTW, can you switch your digital gauges to MPH. I may want to try to retrofit the Canadian gauge cluster in.
We can switch to MPH yes.

OP
OP
GetterDragun

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice, now need to find a wrecked Si on Kijijijjjjji or whatever you use in Canada to buy car parts!

OP
OP
GetterDragun

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you check two things for me?

Start your car, turn the parking brake off, then turn off the car and see if it engages the parking brake.

Next, start your car, put on your seatbelt, turn the parking brake off, then take off your seatbelt and see if it engages the parking brake.

You may be on to something that this is a Canadian setting.

SGSiSaajan

First Name
Saajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Can you check two things for me?

Start your car, turn the parking brake off, then turn off the car and see if it engages the parking brake.

Next, start your car, put on your seatbelt, turn the parking brake off, then take off your seatbelt and see if it engages the parking brake.

You may be on to something that this is a Canadian setting.
Iā€™m just away from my car for a few days but Iā€™ll be back this weekend. Iā€™ll do it and get back to you then!

SGSiSaajan

First Name
Saajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
So Iā€™m back and I tried those things. Neither one turned on the park brake. It must turn mine on because I always use the auto brake hold function.
Sponsored