• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

More weight, same power - 2022 Sport hatchback

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
I have a 2018 Civic LX coupe with a manual. And a 2020 Civic Sport sedan with a manual.

Plan to sell the 2020 to get a 2022 Civic Sport Hatchback with a manual.

All 3 have the same K20C2 - 2 liter engine, same HP and torque.

158hp/138lb-ft

Even the same gear ratios.

Weight:

2018 LX coupe: 2739 lbs
2020 Sport sedan: 2838 lbs (+99 lbs)
2022 Sport HB: 2932 lbs (+193 lbs)

Found this politically incorrect old MT article discussing weight reduction effect on performance.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0407it-weight-reduction-tips/

"With calculations complete, final numbers show a horsepower to weight ratio of 18.18. For every 18.18 lb removed, the car will gain approximately one horsepower. The same properties apply for the torque figures as 1 lb-ft of torque is gained for every 22.04 lb removed from the vehicle. Keep in mind the calculations were made with a 165 lb driver on a bone-stock Civic. If your weight is on the heavier side, plug in your own numbers before dividing, Porky!"

- - - - - - -

So maybe a 10hp and 8lb-ft "loss" between the 18 coupe and the new hatchback.

Will probably switch to some lightweight Enkei TS-10s when I get the 2022.

Wish Honda had added a little more push to the base engine.
Sponsored

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
I think the K20 should have been at 170, the base L15 around 200, and the si at 235-245.
Iā€˜ve worked for Honda, in various roles, since 2009. What Iā€™ll say wonā€™t be a shocker to any real enthusiast of the brand, but Honda has always gone through countless ā€œebbs & flowsā€ regarding design or performance.

From an insiders point of view, Iā€™ll just say that the folks upstairs are playing it a bit on the safe side for a while. The worldā€˜s markets & economics are wild as shit right now. ????ā€ā™‚

As a consumer, Iā€™ve owned 10 straight Hondaā€™s. Now looking at buying the 2022 Sport Hatch on Sunday maybe. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

With the exception of the botch-job Si, ??ā€ā™‚ I feel that Honda did an amazing job with the 11th Generation. And I loved my 2018 Siā€¦.so I wanted this 2022 Si to be better. Honda failed me as an ā€œenthusiastā€. So now Iā€™ve decided to relax a bit for this next 3 year lease. I drove the Sport Hatch CVT today in boost blue and itā€™s perfect for my needs now. Slight Downgrade from my current Accord but the savings are pretty decent to justify.

And for the type-R guys.
I can assure you, this next car will sell every last roll off ???

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
I have a 2018 Civic LX coupe with a manual. And a 2020 Civic Sport sedan with a manual.

Plan to sell the 2020 to get a 2022 Civic Sport Hatchback with a manual.

All 3 have the same K20C2 - 2 liter engine, same HP and torque.

158hp/138lb-ft

Even the same gear ratios.

Weight:

2018 LX coupe: 2739 lbs
2020 Sport sedan: 2838 lbs (+99 lbs)
2022 Sport HB: 2932 lbs (+193 lbs)

Found this politically incorrect old MT article discussing weight reduction effect on performance.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0407it-weight-reduction-tips/

"With calculations complete, final numbers show a horsepower to weight ratio of 18.18. For every 18.18 lb removed, the car will gain approximately one horsepower. The same properties apply for the torque figures as 1 lb-ft of torque is gained for every 22.04 lb removed from the vehicle. Keep in mind the calculations were made with a 165 lb driver on a bone-stock Civic. If your weight is on the heavier side, plug in your own numbers before dividing, Porky!"

- - - - - - -

So maybe a 10hp and 8lb-ft "loss" between the 18 coupe and the new hatchback.

Will probably switch to some lightweight Enkei TS-10s when I get the 2022.

Wish Honda had added a little more push to the base engine.
2739 lbs for the LX coupe? I'm guessing you got that weight from cleaning out the trunk and removing the spare tire.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Remove weight on the front wheels and you will overcome quite a bit of the difference. OEM wheels are so heavy. My new rims are just under 19 lbs, saving almost 13 lbs a wheel, but when you shave that weight off the drive wheels the gain is even more beneficial, probably equivalent to 7 hp gains est. ?

If you even move the weight of the rim closer to the centre it also helps, so a 17 inch rim is more beneficial than an 18 or 19 inch rim even if weights are the same. If I had a choice I would have gone with 17 inch rims that are light weight, double the benefit.

Last edited:

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
If you're racing it, you need to clean out the trunk. Shifting the weight balance to the front wheel seems more meaningful then the actual weight reduction (kill two birds with one stone). Since I'm over 200lbs, I also try to shift more weight to the front right wheels to offset my big bones. So, my fix-a-flat kit and mini-toolkit is in a velcro bag sitting under the passenger seat. I've also made sure glove box is empty to keep weight low. Then there's my AGM battery that's 1/2 the size as OEM, which is huge gain in weight and would have been hugely toxic since it sits up high in front of the driver. The biggest benefit, like you, is my 16' RPF1 rims (weight 13.7lb) on 215/55/16 summer tires (these flow formed rims are also designed to have most of the weight at the hub).

With my DOT4 fluid and EBC Yellow stuff brakes, I'm considered one of the faster car at Toronto Motorsport Park. It really doesn't take much to make a 10th gen NA Civic (6MT) a capable track machine.. Given small 215 width tires, stock suspension is fine for the racetrack, but I suspect I'll need lower springs and some reinforcement if I go with 200 series tires tires, which it really doesn't need given engines power and feather weight. Dynamic for 10th LX 6MT is perfect with OEM suspension, so more grippy tires might be very hard to tune for questionable gains.
Sponsored