• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Motor Trend's render of the 11th gen Civic sedan

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
As to a 1.8... I do not think there’s enough size in the L block to bore to 1.8. They’ve never offered an L in that size... but do 1.2-1.5. I can’t imagine they’d go back and massage an R18 which looks inferior to todays K20C2 and who's VTEC was economy-based rather performance. I think a K20C4 would be the only middling option between a Si’s L15B7 and CTRs K20C1... but would cause a weight and MPG penalty. Admittedly, the K20C4 Accords do get pretty good fuel economy, make a little more power than a stock than a TSP stage 1 Si, are are tuned for 87, with more room to grow.

I doubt we’ll see a lot of your wishlist @IronFusion... but it is an interesting one. We already have a BPV that does recirc duties. Maybe a modified intake tract would amplify the noise. With a possible 54.5 CAFE requirement in 2025, so long as it isn’t cancelled (I kind of thinking may be... it looks like they dropped the numbers to the low 40-range as additional deregulation with the current administration from some buzz in the last couple months) during gen 11s run... I think light electrification might be the only big change we’ll see. Insight has made a full-on Civic hybrid redundant and why one isn't offered... but maybe a combo motor/starter/alternator and *tiny* battery might make an appearance. The Civic has good fuel economy and with the Accord, Civic, and CRV all getting a lot of volume sold with the L15s, these are the models they’ll need to massage for all they’re worth, unless they accept a penalty. In the end, that penalty will get rolled to us and cause the cost of the car to rise by about a hundred bucks at a $5.50/deficient MPG. I know we can trash on regulations a lot but they have driven manufacturers to make drastic improvements in economy and emissions in the last 1/2 century and I’m sure there’s a lot more left. Even the last 15 years has shown good improvements for all cars generally.
11th Gen Honda Civic Motor Trend's render of the 11th gen Civic sedan 92B4C447-50EB-4D25-BBED-064119781E52

https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trends/highlights-automotive-trends-report

Funny thing about that report, it shows Toyota earning the most amount of credits (Honda is in 2nd place) with the least amount of "new" ICE technology adoption other than transmissions with high gear numbers. Go figure.

I do think the use of a TD03 vice our TD025 could give the L15 legs to reach that 222 hp realm at similar pressures. I’d think the CRV would keep the TD025s to allow the better weight hauling and towing its rated for. I’ve got to believe the TD03 was the earlier tested turbo for the platform as it made it to all the spec sheets. GTI Mark 8s are going to be 241 hp. There’s a lot of budget Hyundai products that look good on paper too. Honda will have been stuck at ~200 hp for 15 years. Even a token bump of something should be in the cards.

While some other car makers have adopted more ICE technologies for economy (electrification, compression ignition, variable compression) Honda just combined forced induction, DI and CVTs that are pretty mature to a block they’ve been using for 20 years. It’s worked well for them but there’s still a lot more they could do to milk more power and economy out of what they have. I think the trick, with the struggling economy is going to be to hold price points where they are at to keep making incremental improvements and hold a $20-25k target price for the sub-touring trims which I assume make up the volume of its sales. It'll be interesting to see if nations adopting different monetary policies to push through this recession will cause price changes... good or bad. Japan is supposedly officially in recession territory and a weak Yen might make for more buying power for the dollar (though we're throwing money around like mad to prop things up too). The strong yen going into the mid-90s made Japanese sportscars so expensive... it made their prices really soar. It might be a bit different w/Honda USA doing so much domestic manufacturing… not sure. We shall see.
Sponsored