• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Newbie to the CTR ownership family.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Hey guys... I'm a newb to this forum and super geeked to be a new CTR (FL5) owner. I arrived here by accident, luck, fate or maybe all of the above. I'm a self-admitted Honda fanboi and have spent the last 3 years over on the 11th gen Accord forum. I had a 2020 Accord 2.0 which I was quite happy with and not really looking to part with. I'm not really sure why , but I decided to open an email from my Honda dealership about offers to upgrade my car. Typically I would either delete or skip right over these types of emails. So I started swiping thru the pages of the dealerships inventory and like on the 6th page there she was sitting all by herself... 2023 Championship White Civic Type R. I'm kind of freaking out because I have not seen one FL5 in my city and really not many of the 10th gen CTRs. To make this long story shorter, I happen to be friends with the sales manager at the dealership as well as a couple of the salespersons. I made an appointment for Saturday and was somehow was able to hammer out a deal to buy her. Did I pay too much? ... Yes. Did I really need this car?... No. My wife refers to it as my Mid LIfe Crisis and that is probably true, but it's just money and you only live once. I'm looking forward to learning from other owners experience's on this forum.
Sponsored

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
What a pleasant surprise and welcome! Congrats on picking up an FL5. It's an awesome car. You admitted overpaying...how much over MSRP did you pay?

Last edited:

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Welcome. I was also new to the CTR and any Honda in general. I came from Porsches and BMWs - never owned any Honda before. I wanted a car that was relatively simple compared to most cars with buttons and crap everywhere inside, engaging to drive with a good gearbox, functional exterior bits/design (minimal fakery), had enough space for 4 adults, good trunk space, and looked good. The FL5 CTR is really the only car that met those requirements, outside of a Cayman S, which I had before and 2.5-3x the cost. I figured this would mostly likely be my last manual ICE car, and so I got it. And I absolutely love it. It's such a fun car to drive. Way more engaging than any of my BMWs of the past 15 years and similar to my Cayman S (of course FWD). Simple and nice. Enjoy it.

OP
OP

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
What a pleasant surprise and welcome! Congrats on picking up an FL5. It's an awesome car. You admitted overpaying...how much over MSRP did you pay?
They had it at 8k over MSRP. I got them to cut that in half, but I don't think that would have happened had I not known with the sales Mgr. I was an existing customer and had bought my 2.0 Accord from them as well. This was actually the 3rd FL5 they have sold and mine was the only one that stayed in Ohio. They told me the others they had sold had gone to out of state buyers. I wasn't thrilled at paying anything over MSRP, but I felt like this was probably my best chance getting one absent of doing a ton of leg work and possible being willing to travel to buy one.

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
Congrats on the FL5 and welcome to the forum! $4K over MSRP is better than a lot of people, so you are still ahead.

My only question for you: WHERE ARE THE PICS!? 📸

OP
OP

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Congrats on the FL5 and welcome to the forum! $4K over MSRP is better than a lot of people, so you are still ahead.

My only question for you: WHERE ARE THE PICS!? 📸
Pictures or it doesn't exit right? I will post some pics. I have some photos, but they aren't very good. Right now she's parked until I get the PFF installed later this week.

OP
OP

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Welcome. I was also new to the CTR and any Honda in general. I came from Porsches and BMWs - never owned any Honda before. I wanted a car that was relatively simple compared to most cars with buttons and crap everywhere inside, engaging to drive with a good gearbox, functional exterior bits/design (minimal fakery), had enough space for 4 adults, good trunk space, and looked good. The FL5 CTR is really the only car that met those requirements, outside of a Cayman S, which I had before and 2.5-3x the cost. I figured this would mostly likely be my last manual ICE car, and so I got it. And I absolutely love it. It's such a fun car to drive. Way more engaging than any of my BMWs of the past 15 years and similar to my Cayman S (of course FWD). Simple and nice. Enjoy it.
Thanks Urbo.... I'm totally with you on this probably being one of the last few manual ICE performance cars at least with the practicality that it possesses. I'm 61 and I plan on driving this car for a good long time. It definitely is not going to be a garage queen. Sadly by the time I'm in the market for a new car I'll be looking at EVs.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
They had it at 8k over MSRP. I got them to cut that in half, but I don't think that would have happened had I not known with the sales Mgr. I was an existing customer and had bought my 2.0 Accord from them as well. This was actually the 3rd FL5 they have sold and mine was the only one that stayed in Ohio. They told me the others they had sold had gone to out of state buyers. I wasn't thrilled at paying anything over MSRP, but I felt like this was probably my best chance getting one absent of doing a ton of leg work and possible being willing to travel to buy one.

Yes, anything over msrp is usually too much... but No, you didn't pay too much... you paid less than most of us :thumbsup: Most people on here who are still looking for a car would have scarfed that one up at 4k over -- esp in CW! :drive:

Your story is more reinforcement that if we can create a good relationship with a dealer, then it can pay off. I have had exceptional deals on cars where i knew the manager due to being a regular customer -- usually for servicing. I realize that some dealers could care less about their customer relationships... but a lot of them do, and they will cut a good deal for a local customer.

Congrats!!

atlcivic

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 1M
4k over is a great deal! Congrats. I’m still trying to get dealers down from 10-15k without much luck. Lack of inventory isn’t helping. Enjoy the car in good health!

FL5 CTR

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
$4k over is a very good deal considering the market. Most are going for $10k+ over. I was ecstatic to luck into $5k over myself I never thought I'd ever be someone to pay OVER MSRP but here we are. I think it's well worth it at <= $50k.

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Hey guys... I'm a newb to this forum and super geeked to be a new CTR (FL5) owner. I arrived here by accident, luck, fate or maybe all of the above. I'm a self-admitted Honda fanboi and have spent the last 3 years over on the 11th gen Accord forum. I had a 2020 Accord 2.0 which I was quite happy with and not really looking to part with. I'm not really sure why , but I decided to open an email from my Honda dealership about offers to upgrade my car. Typically I would either delete or skip right over these types of emails. So I started swiping thru the pages of the dealerships inventory and like on the 6th page there she was sitting all by herself... 2023 Championship White Civic Type R. I'm kind of freaking out because I have not seen one FL5 in my city and really not many of the 10th gen CTRs. To make this long story shorter, I happen to be friends with the sales manager at the dealership as well as a couple of the salespersons. I made an appointment for Saturday and was somehow was able to hammer out a deal to buy her. Did I pay too much? ... Yes. Did I really need this car?... No. My wife refers to it as my Mid LIfe Crisis and that is probably true, but it's just money and you only live once. I'm looking forward to learning from other owners experience's on this forum.
Welcome to the club! Don't listen to that stereotypical nonsense about mid-life crisis blah, blah.. I'm in my late 40s and I've done tuners all my life, raised on hip-hop and I find it funny when people label me "too old" for/with something I grew up with. Clearly, people need to learn to accept changes between the generations and what may be different from them isn't going to fit into some stereotypical "norm". Have fun, ignore the hate, and do you.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Welcome to the club! Don't listen to that stereotypical nonsense about mid-life crisis blah, blah.. I'm in my late 40s and I've done tuners all my life, raised on hip-hop and I find it funny when people label me "too old" for/with something I grew up with. Clearly, people need to learn to accept changes between the generations and what may be different from them isn't going to fit into some stereotypical "norm". Have fun, ignore the hate, and do you.

I think those who tout mid-life crisis are just jealous. the problem in today's world is that we barely have any disposable income until our late 30s...early 40s... and that doesn't mean we've lost interest in what we wanted to do in our 20s (if only we had the money!). ;)

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Congratulations, $4k over sticker is a good deal. Nothing to feel guilty about.

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Congrats on the new ride!! That’s a really good deal for todays market especially for a CW.

what dealership around Cincinnati did you end up working with? I just picked up my SGP recently not too far from there

OP
OP

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Congrats on the new ride!! That’s a really good deal for todays market especially for a CW.

what dealership around Cincinnati did you end up working with? I just picked up my SGP recently not too far from there
Performance Honda in Fairfield. Generally it was a very positive experience although they tried a little bit of funny business on some service contracts (i.e. key replacement, ding & dent repair...etc.) that they "threw in" and then tried to hide in the financial contract. I did catch it on the front end, but it is things like that that should remind car buyers to be hyper vigilant when working with car dealerships.
Sponsored