• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

CalidripST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic sport touring
Dang you really hate the FK8 that much? šŸ˜­
Its his opinion itā€™s a free country and second there is a lot of hate about the FL5 but yet i donā€™t see you commenting about how someone really hate that ā€¦šŸ§
Sponsored

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
From what Ive read on the track forums the engine doesn't really need oil coolers. Its the ECT and IAT temperatures that get high which would cause the engine to overheat with the FK8s. Oil temps weren't really a major issue

If what you say is true then the overheating problems should be alleviated.
A common complaint about the fk8 is that it shows you OilT but there's no sensor, it's calculated. Once people move to a heavier oil that number loses meaning. I hope the FL5 temp is a direct measure.

Alleviated, yes. All improvements add up and give you some track time before overheating. High IAT only pulls power, high ECT is a problem, and OilT as stated we simply don't know. Not sure which track forum you mentioned, but many fk8s tracked really hard have oil coolers and most still overheat while on stock power. This is such a pain point for us that many fk8 owners were anxious to see what solutions the new CTR brings.

In a few months we should have some feedback from the race track. We'll know by then =)

Btw, they should offer to sell this car in camo. I kind of miss it!

HustedDrums

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R, 2023 Hyundai Genesis GV70
All of a sudden this has become an earnings contest. Trust me, those with the big brass ones never tellā€¦.

Now lets get back on topicā€¦
Haha thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying

Lol, let me just stop you right there dude. Buying any sports car makes 0 financial sense šŸ¤£
Well, you say that but I studied the FK8 market for a long time. If you got a good deal, you always would get out with a break-even scenario worst case. I like having the comfort of having a sportier car and knowing I can get out without ending up belly up. Definitely better than buying any other new car that depreciates 50% in first three years.

If you can enjoy a car, and only pay for gas, insurance, maintenance, I consider that a win.With the current market FK8 owners can definitely make a nice profit. I daily mine and still have over 7k equity in mine (if I sold to carava).

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (Sonic Grey Pearl)
Its his opinion itā€™s a free country and second there is a lot of hate about the FL5 but yet i donā€™t see you commenting about how someone really hate that ā€¦šŸ§
Take it easy lol I have no issue with how anyone talks about the FK8 or FL5 buddy. They're both Type R's at the end of the day and as long as people have their preferences and get what they like, why should you or I care about how someone talks about a car? Let's move on :thumbsup:

ctrc2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model3
according to google fk8 ctr had 320 PS (235 kW; 316 hp) , now that it got 330 ps, it's safe to say NA market will get 10 hp bumps?
I got no complaints,

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
A common complaint about the fk8 is that it shows you OilT but there's no sensor, it's calculated. Once people move to a heavier oil that number loses meaning. I hope the FL5 temp is a direct measure.

Alleviated, yes. All improvements add up and give you some track time before overheating. High IAT only pulls power, high ECT is a problem, and OilT as stated we simply don't know. Not sure which track forum you mentioned, but many fk8s tracked really hard have oil coolers and most still overheat while on stock power. This is such a pain point for us that many fk8 owners were anxious to see what solutions the new CTR brings.

In a few months we should have some feedback from the race track. We'll know by then =)

Btw, they should offer to sell this car in camo. I kind of miss it!
I lurked on the Civic X forums in the Tracking/Auto cross subsection and read through alot of the posts of people having overheating problems and I watched some guy on YouTube.

Ah yeah I remember people saying that, the readings weren't 100% accurate.

The top 3 recommendations what people said as a general rule was to upgrade the radiator install some type of cooling lines and get a different intercooler. Some people said that the biggest change in temperature would be removing the AC because its position blocks alot of airflow. Im sure that after you control IAT and ECT then you have to worry about oil cooling if you are doing lap after lap but from what Ive read experienced drivers couldn't even do a hot lap without timing being pulled on certain tracks in certain conditions.

Im just curious to see what has been done.

Lol about the camo wrap šŸ˜„

11GenImUnsure

First Name
11thGen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feet
I think my main questions at the moment revolve around two things :

1) Is it possible to source major parts for these cars that are so new, from places in the world with different regulations (Japan)? Namely being those amber-less headlights -- I want those.

But then again, I anticipate wiring issues so that may be a dead end.

2) Where is the line between what we get (USDM) and what is overseas (JDM/Global)? In terms of features like Bose Sound System, those parking sensors that we see on the Japanese Press Car, and so forth.

11GenImUnsure

First Name
11thGen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feet

This video is really useful in showing how one can pinpoint their choice of driving settings on the FL5.
The presenter can be heard saying "engine, suspension, steering" and Hideki Kakinuma, one of the lead designers, was in the backseat mentioning that the active sound component (ASC) is also customizable from this menu.

Last edited: