• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Maximum torque: 420 Nm (+20 Nm) / 2,600rpm to 4,500 rpm
So max torque is lower? I figured the powerband would be more broader with the turbo being smaller and more efficient.

Im guessing the engine will die a bit sooner and not pull all the way to redline since it makes peak power earlier?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Power under the curve > peak power. PEAK Power means fuck all if you only touch it for 100rpm and then it craters.

I'm guessing the FL5 curve is decently better overall. More power sooner and more sustained.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Power under the curve > peak power. PEAK Power means fuck all if you only touch it for 100rpm and then it craters.

I'm guessing the FL5 curve is decently better overall. More power sooner and more sustained.
To refine your point a bit, let's take acceleration performance. The area under the curve within the band the engine operates in as you accelerate is what matters. After first gear, most of the work of the engine is from 5000-7000 rpm. Basically the range of the rpm drop as you upshift. Entering it into an online calculator:

After 1st Shift: 4,084 RPM. 41.66 % RPM Drop
After 2nd Shift: 5,061 RPM. 27.71 % RPM Drop
After 3rd Shift: 5,150 RPM. 26.42 % RPM Drop
After 4th Shift: 5,668 RPM. 19.02 % RPM Drop
After 5th Shift: 5,640 RPM. 19.43 % RPM Drop

So the RPM range that matters for HP is mostly 5000-7000 rpm, aside from the start of second gear at 4084. So as long as the engine makes good torque (and therefore power) from 4000-7000, we're doing well. And that can be pretty peaky.

Also, consider an ideal broad torque range from idle to redline. If it were constant and perfectly flat, peak power would be reached at redline, by definition.

So max torque is lower? I figured the powerband would be more broader with the turbo being smaller and more efficient.

Im guessing the engine will die pit sooner and not pull all the way to redline since it makes peak power earlier?
Actually, max torque is up, not down. Peak power is still at 6500 rpm so the torque at 6500 is also higher than the FK8.

Bense

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Accord, 1994 Civic
To refine your point a bit, let's take acceleration performance. The area under the curve within the band the engine operates in as you accelerate is what matters. After first gear, most of the work of the engine is from 5000-7000 rpm. Basically the range of the rpm drop as you upshift. Entering it into an online calculator:

After 1st Shift: 4,084 RPM. 41.66 % RPM Drop
After 2nd Shift: 5,061 RPM. 27.71 % RPM Drop
After 3rd Shift: 5,150 RPM. 26.42 % RPM Drop
After 4th Shift: 5,668 RPM. 19.02 % RPM Drop
After 5th Shift: 5,640 RPM. 19.43 % RPM Drop

So the RPM range that matters for HP is mostly 5000-7000 rpm, aside from the start of second gear at 4084. So as long as the engine makes good torque (and therefore power) from 4000-7000, we're doing well. And that can be pretty peaky.

Also, consider an ideal broad torque range from idle to redline. If it were constant and perfectly flat, peak power would be reached at redline, by definition.

Actually, max torque is up, not down. Peak power is still at 6500 rpm so the torque at 6500 is also higher than the FK8.
What you are indirectly describing is the benefits of having close-ratio gearing, which I go bonkers over lol

265/30/19 with 7000rpm redline.
11th Gen Honda Civic OFFICIAL: 2023 Civic Type R Reveal Photos, Wallpapers & Videos FL5.PNG

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
This. People are discussing cars & future developments like they know it all. I'm sure some of you know quite a lot, but as above pure ICE vehicles are banned in the UK and parts of Europe after 2030 (apart from small volume manufacturers). This is a huge marketplace and most manufacturers are tooling up for this ban.

I posted previously about this, and due to vehicle market not resembling anything like normal until circa 2024/5 this is the last chance saloon for a lot of great cars.
Small nuance, the ban of ICE after 2030 means, no selling of new ICE from that point, as the current plans lie on the table....
There are parties that are not in agreement with this proposal and for example would want to see hybrids live on for a while instead of a full switch to full EV (BEV PHEV), wich sounds more logical for all kinds of reasons, but we'll see, I am sure we have not seen the end of this yet.

On topic, and we have a Track POV video of the new 330hp something car in, Europe, more specific, the Tazio Nuvolari circuit:

nice interior (though partially fake I assume) sound impressions too :cool:

edit:
atlcivic was ahead of me lol, but okay, those are two different videos, cant get enough of the car so I dont mind lol
Automotive journalist of the major EU countries were invited to that event, so there will pop up some more of these vids I assume.

New gen cars usually look a lot meaner and more aggressive in person than they do in photos or on film.

For example, the new G80 M3 looks meh in the photos. But when I saw it in person, it looked spectacular and extremely muscular/aggressive. Even the new front snout that gets so much hate (even from me) looked 10x better in person. Dare I say it matched the rest of the front fascia.

I’m willing to bet that I will get the same impression of the new Type R. Our eyes pick up on contours and proportions that get lost in photos and videos.
The new one already looks meaner and aggressive on video, imo

It's going to look mean as soon as you see those clean lines flow into how wide this car is.

Watching videos on YouTube. The Type R is 1890mm wide. (74.4 inches)

The G80 M3 to compare since you've seen it in person is 1903mm wide or just over half an inch. Wide hips on a car just do something for me. I can't wait to see it in person.
I think every 'carguy' likes a car that has wide hips....:p

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
Small nuance, the ban of ICE after 2030 means, no selling of new ICE from that point, as the current plans lie on the table....
There are parties that are not in agreement with this proposal and for example would want to see hybrids live on for a while instead of a full switch to full EV (BEV PHEV), wich sounds more logical for all kinds of reasons, but we'll see, I am sure we have not seen the end of this yet.
Thanks for following up, I work in the industry and I'm passionate about this.

The ban is for pure ICE, not hybrid. The manufacturers and the companies they work with are well ahead of the curve, they wanted to capitalise on ICE SUVs before rolling out alternative power trains. Hybrid is a short term stepping stone to pure electric, which they are already generating the next gen batteries for & more beyond that.

However, manufacturers cannot afford to wait to see if the ban is lifted, hence retooling, and chances are once they have done that it will be too expensive to go back.

The next few new cars coming out will be the last pure ICE vehicles from major manufacturers, and many will have long lead times.

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Thanks for following up, I work in the industry and I'm passionate about this.

The ban is for pure ICE, not hybrid. The manufacturers and the companies they work with are well ahead of the curve, they wanted to capitalise on ICE SUVs before rolling out alternative power trains. Hybrid is a short term stepping stone to pure electric, which they are already generating the next gen batteries for & more beyond that.

However, manufacturers cannot afford to wait to see if the ban is lifted, hence retooling, and chances are once they have done that it will be too expensive to go back.

The next few new cars coming out will be the last pure ICE vehicles from major manufacturers, and many will have long lead times.
Do correct me if I am wrong, but the proposal from the European Parliament is to ban ICE ánd hybrids....so a complete switch to EV is whats now on the table, with the European Conservatives being the only ones opposed to these plans...
Thats why I am not to sure whether this will be the end result, since the Conservatives are the biggest fraction in the EU (if I'm not mistaken).

I do agree that that path would make no sence at all, like you said, hybrid is the perfect tool to fill the gap towards a more EV focused mobility. (and still, not all or even half the landscape will be EV by 2050 even).

This is a good example of politics that wants to play catch up too fast without thinking about other external elements.
Who know what other forces (lobbys) play behind the screen of course for this rapid change of course as well...

But again, as its laid down now, they want to ban ICE together with hybrids in the EU...(not speaking of the UK since the UK is not part of the EU anymore), maybe that was why you thought differently?
Perhaps you thought I was talking about the UK? ;) They might still allow hybrids after 2030 in the UK?

This is the latest article of wich there are many regarding the EV law proposal for the EU.
https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...pproves-ban-on-new-fossil-fueled-cars-by-2035

On topic again, ignore the previous video, this is much more engaging :cool: even thought I dont speak a word Spanish, it has nicer close up shots of the car and far superior sound recording too :thumbsup:
Sponsored