• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Replaced Windshield

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R Championship White
Does anyone know if the windshield for the FL5 is the same as the windshield used for the new civic hatchbacks? I just replaced my windshield with the dealership parts department (the order was for a 2022 honda civic hatchback windshield) and I'm just noticing that I can kind of see the firewall(?) behind the vent on the dashboard. I'm not able to take a photo of it since it's too narrow and under the frit but if I reach toward where the windshield and dashboard meet, I can feel (and kind of see the reflection) a little bit of whatever is under the firewall cowl. Is this normal...? Never noticed it but since I replaced the windshield I'm kind of hyper vigilant to make sure everything is correct. Thanks for your time!
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I just looked at my car and can’t see anything that resembles what you’re talking about. Take some photos, even if just to point out the area you’re looking at. That’d be helpful.

I highly doubt the windshield is different between the FL5 and the Civic hatchback, but I can understand some variance in installation and variance from windshield to windshield from the supplier.

OP
OP

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
I just looked at my car and can’t see anything that resembles what you’re talking about. Take some photos, even if just to point out the area you’re looking at. That’d be helpful.

I highly doubt the windshield is different between the FL5 and the Civic hatchback, but I can understand some variance in installation and variance from windshield to windshield from the supplier.
Weirdd...
I tried taking a picture of the location. With flash on theres also that weird looking black thing which have no clue what it is... but essentially behind that dashboard vent there's some sort of transition in the trim, like the dashboard plastic doesn't reach all the way to where the glass is.

11th Gen Honda Civic Replaced Windshield IMG_6871

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
That’s weird. I don’t recall seeing anything like that in my car. I’ll take a look again.

Just a guess, but this appears to be some kind of windshield installation shim or something to help hold the windshield in position during install. I’d take it back to the dealership and tell them to remove it, if it is indeed what I think it is.

Again, lemme take another look at my car and I’ll report back.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Here you go, bud. I took a pic of the same area. That piece you’re seeing in your car shouldn’t be there.

11th Gen Honda Civic Replaced Windshield 427AF247-EF13-4FF5-B892-3C2E771400E9

Reactions: rui

OP
OP

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Here you go, bud. I took a pic of the same area. That piece you’re seeing in your car shouldn’t be there.

427AF247-EF13-4FF5-B892-3C2E771400E9.jpeg
Interesting, thanks for the help. I’ll go see what the dealer can do because I have no idea what that is

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Looks like a gasket that flipped out of its groove during install. Don’t get the car wet until it’s inspected

OP
OP

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)

427AF247-EF13-4FF5-B892-3C2E771400E9.jpeg
Out of curiosity when you reach back all the way there, what do you feel? Is it still plastic trim all the way?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yes, it’s just the the dashboard all the way up to the windshield and what seems to be some sort of plastic/foam gasket between the dash and the windshield. This gasket seems to be missing in your photo.😬

Talk to your dealer. I’m sure they’ll make it right. If they were missing a part, they should’ve contacted you about it before the installation, though.

OP
OP

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it’s just the the dashboard all the way up to the windshield and what seems to be some sort of plastic/foam gasket between the dash and the windshield. This gasket seems to be missing in your photo.😬

Talk to your dealer. I’m sure they’ll make it right. If they were missing a part, they should’ve contacted you about it before the installation, though.
Oh okay. I do feel that gasket thing, it’s some sort of bumpy thing that I did see under the cowl when they took everything off separating the firewall. Guess I’ll find out what that black thing is, whether it’s some other type of gasket or whatever. Thanks!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I believe it’s just a shim. They probably forgot to remove it after setting the windshield and letting the seal cure. It shouldn’t be a big deal as long as everything else is right.

OP
OP

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
I believe it’s just a shim. They probably forgot to remove it after setting the windshield and letting the seal cure. It shouldn’t be a big deal as long as everything else is right.
Thanks again for the help and checking your car, after I let the dealer check it I’ll come back and update you, might be something helpful. Dealers don’t install the glass, they outsource but the glass is bought from the dealer so just wanting to make sure third party place did it correctly xP

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Absolutely! I’m “meticulous” as well. I get it!

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
For minor cracks, I just go with Safelite or whatever the insurance uses. But for windshield replacements, I always use my body shop guy whom I trust where I know the glass install and camera calibration will be done correctly.

OP
OP

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
So when they replaced the windshield, they didn’t replace that foam piece on the dash that you sent a picture of
 so that explains why I can see a lot past the dash when I shove my camera down there lol. Got myself the foam piece, do you know if the foam piece for yours between the dash and windshield is attached to the glass or the dash?
Sponsored