• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car?

GJPEN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru WRX STI
I have been patiently waiting for a new car literally was looking to buy the summer the pandemic hit. Saw no desire to by during then so waited. Have been researching the Type R for almost 2 years now as #1 choice with Mercedes CLA 45 and CT4 Blackwing as second choices. After this long a tease with direct contact of around 40 dealers and now even offering up to 10k and and then not even knowing when a car is gonna come in, it’s started to just sour me on the Type R. I’m now gonna drive the other 2 And see if I like any a lot.

The type r just is like the big tease from High School, eventually interest is just lost. Anyone else getting this way? I think the way they are over teasing this car between Honda and on top the dealers I feel like they are going to lose some buyers in the long run.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Kinda feeling the same way... Been following the car for over 2 years after being disappointed in the looks of the FK8.

I’m still first in line at my dealership but after seeing some of the experiences of others I’m starting to second guess pulling the trigger. Why would I pay a crazy ADM going into an economic downturn to not even be the first to own the car? At the rate things are going it might not even be 4-6 more months until I can even get the car.

It appears being the first might not even be worth it after hearing about the early issues people are having.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Honda has been faced with challenge at every turn which seemingly has created delays across the board. The slow drip marketing campaign, the Japan dealer cars, the month long stay at port etc. It would all be fine if Honda just communicated clearly with its potential customers. The ADM stuff is tough because anyone diving in now is about 9 months too late to the party and even then its still a crap shoot. I’ve probably by far been the most brutal on Honda (ie calling out all the bs) and at the same time, the challenge that they have had to deal with has to be acknowledged.

Definitely is a bucket of cold water on a lot of excitement that had been brewing. If there is any comfort for you its that in time there should be more volume and pricing should come down a bit.

Vtec_Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Bro, let me just say….M139.
This engine is beast. Basically 100hp per cylinder. MPGs in this time matters, being a 4 cylinder and with a 12gallon tank you’re looking at $60-$70 tops filling up every week and half.
Depending on how you spec your CLA, even base model beats the R out the park. You got ambient lighting from 60+ colors (not just red, or strictly on doors) infotainment is waay sharper. Luxury is definitely eye catching and quality is there. Not just 4Matic but 4Matic +*
Which basically has a torque converter which distributes torque 70rear/30front. Perfect for snow, trips etc.
Launch control is standard and let me tell you, it pulls you at each gear from 1st to 4th
Handcrafted AMG engine, and I can keep going and going but trust me. I was in your boat and what was the last nail in the coffin for me was that I found mine for MSRP. Heck even dealers were fighting to get my business, I was struggling to pick which one to finalize my deal with. If you have further questions feel free to ask, I’ll be glad to answer them.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
There is a very large price difference between the CTR and the AMG A45S in Australia.
$72,600 for the CTR and a very lightly used 2020/21 A45S is about $100k.
In USD this is $48,332 vs $66,574.
Nevertheless, I can't get the A45S out of my mind...
I have an allocation for the Type R. Orders open 1 December...
D-day approaches.
I should say there are no ADMs here in Australia...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
My “want” level for the FL5 CTR decreased so much that I am once again considering M cars. All because of the price gouging.

As much as I love the CTR, it’s just not a car that I’m willing to drop $60-70k on. Even though it is much lighter and for sure a much more engaging experience, I can’t get myself to do it knowing that I can have a sporty luxury cruiser with RWD, manual transmission, and near 500 hp for similar money.

I realize that it’s not really apples to apples in terms of platform and driving experience, but definitely apples to apples (or apples to pears) as far as pricing goes.

I already spoke to my SA who I bought my M2C from. She can do MSRP ($72.8k), 3-6 month wait, in AW or Toronto Red. It will be an optionless car, which I prefer anyways (unless I go red, which is additional $650).

11th Gen Honda Civic Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car? B5AD2EC0-4182-49B0-9B0C-2F627E8834FB

Kash338

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I think we all got 2 options. Either wait until next year to hope to find a fl5 near msrp or move on to another car. Personally, I've been waiting (and I'm still waiting) for a fl5 near msrp. I'm even first in line at one of my local dealerships. The thing that makes me lose interest in the car is of course the adm. Just like some people in this thread, I can't imagine paying over 50k for a type r. To me, once you start to go over 50k, you're entering a new type of car. The fl5 seems like a great car but when you stack it up with other cars in the price range (let's just say 50k to 70k), it just turns me off. Plus with people on the thread starting to say that they're having some issues with their fl5, I'm really starting to get cold feet. I mean some of the guys on here have payed 60k+ and are are having basic issues with their fl5. As of now, I have no problem waiting. I daily drive a 2012 si coupe and it's still a great car for me. I look at it as if you have money to blow, then get a fl5. If not, then either look for something else or wait the adm surge out.

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
My “want” level for the FL5 CTR decreased so much that I am once again considering M cars. All because of the price gouging.

As much as I love the CTR, it’s just not a car that I’m willing to drop $60-70k on. Even though it is much lighter and for sure a much more engaging experience, I can’t get myself to do it knowing that I can have a sporty luxury cruiser with RWD, manual transmission, and near 500 hp for similar money.

I realize that it’s not really apples to apples in terms of platform and driving experience, but definitely apples to apples (or apples to pears) as far as pricing goes.

I already spoke to my SA who I bought my M2C from. She can do MSRP ($72.8k), 3-6 month wait, in AW or Toronto Red. It will be an optionless car, which I prefer anyways (unless I go red, which is additional $650).

B5AD2EC0-4182-49B0-9B0C-2F627E8834FB.jpeg
what model is this red BMW?

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2018 Honda Accord EX-L
Unless Honda decides to make many more FL5s than the announcements so far, this car is never going to be widely available.
The factory where they're made said earlier that it can produce 480 FL5 per month, for the whole world. The product life span has been announced as 3 years. So, 480x36=17,280 cars. The US got about 60% of the FK8s produced from 2017-2021. If the FL5 is the same, that's a little over 10,000 bound for the US. Over 3 years. Around 3,500/year.
For comparison, about 22,000 Fk8s were sent to the US. The time frame was a just little over four years because it started late in 2017 and 2020 was cut way back for COVID. Still, that's a a little over 5,000/year.
How many FK8s did you ever see just sitting on a lot? I saw one.
I won't pay the crazy numbers that dealers are asking right now. That probably means I'll never own one. I'll just have to live with my 2021 FK8.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
what model is this red BMW?
It’s the base G80 M3. Current model.

base = 473 hp, RWD, manual transmission, and carbon roof standard. Granted, the one in the photo has upgraded wheels and lip/sides.

Most folks choose convenience options like executive package and parking assistance, but I’m a bare bones type of guy. I don’t want any of that nonsense.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX

B5AD2EC0-4182-49B0-9B0C-2F627E8834FB.jpeg
I love the Type R as much or more than anyone here, but if you had to pick one car, not sure how you could take the Type R over this. One of my favorite cars on the road.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I'm kinda luke warm on it. I still want it but I think I like the way the car looks more than the performance. I know all the controls are supposed to be amazing but really for a 45k car, it just doesn't back it up with performance imo.

OP
OP

GJPEN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru WRX STI
Bro, let me just say….M139.
This engine is beast. Basically 100hp per cylinder. MPGs in this time matters, being a 4 cylinder and with a 12gallon tank you’re looking at $60-$70 tops filling up every week and half.
Depending on how you spec your CLA, even base model beats the R out the park. You got ambient lighting from 60+ colors (not just red, or strictly on doors) infotainment is waay sharper. Luxury is definitely eye catching and quality is there. Not just 4Matic but 4Matic +*
Which basically has a torque converter which distributes torque 70rear/30front. Perfect for snow, trips etc.
Launch control is standard and let me tell you, it pulls you at each gear from 1st to 4th
Handcrafted AMG engine, and I can keep going and going but trust me. I was in your boat and what was the last nail in the coffin for me was that I found mine for MSRP. Heck even dealers were fighting to get my business, I was struggling to pick which one to finalize my deal with. If you have further questions feel free to ask, I’ll be glad to answer them.
Thanks for the help. Ya my only trepidation with the CLA 45 is missing the manual, so gonna test out the Cadillac as second option. Will pm you with any questions. I’m in Chicago and initial contact claimed MSRP. None availble to test but got a taste with a GLA 45, suspension on that was a little to soft and highish stance wasn’t for my tastes. Engine was great. The way I will spec it will be right at 64-65k so about 9-10k more than Type R.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Unless Honda decides to make many more FL5s than the announcements so far, this car is never going to be widely available.
The factory where they're made said earlier that it can produce 480 FL5 per month, for the whole world. The product life span has been announced as 3 years. So, 480x36=17,280 cars. The US got about 60% of the FK8s produced from 2017-2021. If the FL5 is the same, that's a little over 10,000 bound for the US. Over 3 years. Around 3,500/year.
For comparison, about 22,000 Fk8s were sent to the US. The time frame was a just little over four years because it started late in 2017 and 2020 was cut way back for COVID. Still, that's a a little over 5,000/year.
How many FK8s did you ever see just sitting on a lot? I saw one.
I won't pay the crazy numbers that dealers are asking right now. That probably means I'll never own one. I'll just have to live with my 2021 FK8.
Japan has 10k+ orders to fill. If production is not able to increase that would leave roughly 5k for the US.