• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shift Knob installation on FL5R

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Has anyone DIY'ed their shift knob install? I picked up my new Red Knob, however during attempting installation and watching youtube videos, I discovered that most people are damaging their shift boot collar in the process.

It appears that 2020 and newer Type R have a different style of collar with locking tabs in it. You cannot simply pull the boot down to unscrew the knob anymore. The tabs must be clicked up from inside to release it.

I worked on it with plastic trim removal tools for a bit to attempt and unclip it with the boot in place, however I gave up to ensure no damage occurs.

If anyone successfully replaced the knob share your tips!

EDIT:

Thank you to this guy for providing a video. I think this is the best way to go on our FL5 for shift knob installs. Il be doing this soon.

Sponsored

Last edited:

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Has anyone DIY'ed their shift knob install? I picked up my new Red Knob, however during attempting installation and watching youtube videos, I discovered that most people are damaging their shift boot collar in the process.

It appears that 2020 and newer Type R have a different style of collar with locking tabs in it. You cannot simply pull the boot down to unscrew the knob anymore. The tabs must be clicked up from inside to release it.

I worked on it with plastic trim removal tools for a bit to attempt and unclip it with the boot in place, however I gave up to ensure no damage occurs.

If anyone successfully replaced the knob share your tips!

View attachment 230173
View attachment 230172
Yeah no buddy it is the same as the FK8 and most manual boots. No special clips or anything. Does just simply pull down. However it was very, very tight snd difficult to pull. I ordered a trim tool kit on Amazon and wedged it around the neck of the collar slowly until it started to force down. Eventually I was able to get it to pull down as you would expect. But I will admit it was difficult.

Use plastic tools and be careful because damaging it isn't hard. I'll admit I put a small knick on mine that I don't notice very easily. The knick was caused from a metal pry tool that I shouldn't have initially used but if you use plastic tools you should be ok.

After the first time you get it off though, it's as easy as you'd expect normally.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vtak Groceries

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Yeah no buddy it is the same as the FK8 and most manual boots. No special clips or anything. Does just simply pull down. However it was very, very tight snd difficult to pull. I ordered a trim tool kit on Amazon and wedged it around the neck of the collar slowly until it started to force down. Eventually I was able to get it to pull down as you would expect. But I will admit it was difficult.

Use plastic tools and be careful because damaging it isn't hard. I'll admit I put a small knick on mine that I don't notice very easily. The knick was caused from a metal pry tool that I shouldn't have initially used but if you use plastic tools you should be ok.

After the first time you get it off though, it's as easy as you'd expect normally.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Based on what im seeing on the newer models its very hit or miss. Some folks it pops out no problem and some people its a struggle and they damage things. This video for example, they had to dismount the boot from the collar completely to unclip it. If you look at the design of that collar, yanking down may not be the best way to remove it.

Video for reference.

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Based on what im seeing on the newer models its very hit or miss. Some folks it pops out no problem and some people its a struggle and they damage things. This video for example, they had to dismount the boot from the collar completely to unclip it. If you look at the design of that collar, yanking down may not be the best way to remove it.

Video for reference.
After watching the video I dont really see a clip they are referring to. It honestly looks like they just had the boot off and picked that location to more easily force the snap ring down without damaging the visible part.

I can assure you There is no clip that will disconnect the snap ring from the nut the, it just pops off. From the factory it is standard for it to be snapped tight after the first install. It's the same exact way on the Integra. You're right, not all of them are like that, but they can and will be. The likely answer to this is in the factory they have a spec to assure the shift knob is on straight so if they have to rework the whole knob to get it straight they have to disconnect the snap ring. I know our vehicle inspection department made a big fuss about this at the launch of the integra because manuals were new to the plant so we were building integras with laughably crooked shift knobs lol. Which after doing it one time, loosens it in such a way that makes it very easy to disconnect the 2nd time.

Again, I literally just went through the same thing you did but found prying down with a trim tool Carefully and slowly will ensure that it comes off.

If you are not confident in doing it my only other recommendation would be to have a dealer do it. I get the lack of confidence because it was difficult for me as well lol

Last edited:

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
Same thing on the FK8. Some were crazy hard to do the first time. I was so convinced I was missing something since every video I watched made it look effortless. Finally, I just gave it a lot of muscle and it unclipped. Easy after that.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
I can concur it was an absolute pain in the ass to remove. I ended up twisting the knob off and then getting the boot to pop down that way. Never had this issue on the fk8. The shift lever is also curved at the bottom and not straight like the fk8 so it took some different screw hardware with my raceseng knob and collar to get it to fit.
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R F96AE8BC-CF40-4EEB-A0D7-21E6AC7CEE9E

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
My boot popped out easily with gentle (hand) force. Easy as cake.

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I don't think I can ever get rid of the iconic Aluminum shift knob. Nothing like gripping it in the winter and it being ice cold or in the summer and its scalding hot.

OP
OP
Vtak Groceries

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I don't think I can ever get rid of the iconic Aluminum shift knob. Nothing like gripping it in the winter and it being ice cold or in the summer and its scalding hot.

I love the look of the stock shift knob too. It suits the car well and looks upscale. But the problem is the temperature for sure. Obviously being in Canada its cold AF up here and I pretty much drive with gloves on if I take the car out lol.

Anyway thanks for the reply folks, I will do some more work on the knob and see if there is another easy solution.

OP
OP
Vtak Groceries

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I can concur it was an absolute pain in the ass to remove. I ended up twisting the knob off and then getting the boot to pop down that way. Never had this issue on the fk8. The shift lever is also curved at the bottom and not straight like the fk8 so it took some different screw hardware with my raceseng knob and collar to get it to fit.
F96AE8BC-CF40-4EEB-A0D7-21E6AC7CEE9E.jpeg
Thats a good looking knob!

boduh81

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Acura RSX Type-S w/ K20A Type R Motor
Use some light to moderate hand pressure pulling down with light twisting at the plastic/metal shift boot neck trim and it should dislodge. Snaps immediately back into place. Trim tools might help might not. Definitely a little harder than the FK8.

TR3BLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FL5)
If the shift boot does not come down, try holding the gear knob and turn counter clockwise.

This will free up the factory gearknob with the locking nut.

Worked a treat for the facelift FK8 and the FL5 I’ve got!

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R 2BD50FD6-F6B8-4EB4-AF79-5286680BA93B

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
That is beautiful IMHO. In US dollars, how much is this Knob and where do you find it ?
Thanks. The OEM Shift Knob is great as well as long as it’s not hot or cold where you live.
Sponsored