• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Si break in period

ACSi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
What is the break proceedure in for the Si?
How should you drive the car?
For how many miles is the break in for?
What should you do and what shouldn’t you do in the break in period?
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Break-in should be in between driving it too gently and driving it too hard. Don't drive it too gently but don't abuse it. Avoid full throttle launches and redline during break-in.

The most important part of break-in is the first 100 miles, that is when the majority of piston ring seating occurs. Then by 600 miles break-in is pretty well complete. You need pressure on the tops of pistons to get the piston rings to seat outwards against the cylinder walls, hence the suggestion to not drive it too gently. I say run it at 50% throttle in higher gears when it is safe to do so. The instrument cluster has a throttle indicator if you want to refer to it during break-in, it was helpful for me when I used it. If you drive it too gently there will be less pressure on the piston tops and less force pushing the piston rings outwards. Some people prefer driving it gently during break-in, I think the engine will seal better in the long term if the piston rings are properly seated early in the process.

Keep the rpms around 4000 rpms max at part throttle , I'd say for the first 500 miles, then start increasing rpms slowly as you approach 600 miles. Then after 600 miles it is ready for full throttle and full rpms as you see fit. Check your oil levels during break-in, but mine never burned a drop. The guy from Engineering Explained has a good video about break-in on youtube. I used to think a hard break-in was best, but I simmered down my approach a bit after viewing his video to the 50% throttle suggestion, but I still do not recommend too gentle of a break-in.

It is also good to vary your rpms and avoid long highway trips at the same speed / rpms.

See video below:

Last edited:

KimzEP3

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 1990 CRX HF with a B18
Exactly what zeroptzero said, but would like to add the manual mentioned not taking very short trips while breaking it in, as in less than a 5 minute drive. Maybe to ensure engine has warmed up? I don't remember what I read in the manual now... I do know turbo cars are supposed to cool down for a little while after hard driving/long journeys so as not to cook the bearings or coke the oil, so I've heard not to shut the vehicle off as soon as you park unless you've done some easier driving at the end. You can research it if you want...lots on Google about it.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Yep, short trips aren't good for a car regardless of the mileage. You need to allow the car to get up to temp to evaporate any water that has condensed in the engine, or any gasoline that has gotten mixed into the oil.

It's also correct that you need to let a turbo car cool down before shutting it off, but only after hard driving like a track day or autocross run. If you just came off the interstate cruising it's not really necessary.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Drive normally(sanely), vary speed (no cruise control), no unnecessary full throttle, red-line, or hard braking for about 600 miles. ENJOY
Sponsored