• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sold '20 SI after 1 year of ownership - '22 SI worth the leap or will it leave me similarly disappointed?

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
If you didn’t like the 10th, you won’t like the 11th.

However, high revving NA motors like your old Si are almost extinct anyway, so you may need to be realistic in your expectations for a new car these days.

For the record, I got my Si at msrp and I love it.
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
This is where I'm at as well. At MSRP, this car is a stretch. I do not think this is a 28k+ car, but given the market, it is what it is. Above MSRP is a joke. This is a Civic, and it may be a great Civic, but it's a Civic. One dealer that has their car listed for 38k (still available 3 weeks later) would not let me test drive it because it's "rare". Dealers acting like this thing is an Aventador.

Greedy bastards indeed.

I will say that I'm not expecting the 1.5t to wind out to 8k rpms like my 07 did. I realize those times are in the past now. I guess the purpose of my thread here was to see if they had improved on the enjoyability of these 1.5t's over the 10th gen. I see a lot of reviews saying the car is a lot more fun to drive, and I'm wondering how much if any of those is because of the motor tweaks they've done.

For me the fun factor is the combination of engine power, suspension handling and tuning, and transmission and shifter design, it all works really well and I would say improved over the 10th gen because of those three factors. Fuel economy is a strong point too.

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
For me the fun factor is the combination of engine power, suspension handling and tuning, and transmission and shifter design, it all works really well and I would say improved over the 10th gen because of those three factors. Fuel economy is a strong point too.
agree completely, the 11 gen is my first SI ever and i am in love with the car the only weak point is the infotaiment gets disconected randomly no a deal breaker IMO, i'm glad i paid MSRP after a long 3 months wait.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
OP is basically me! I daily drove an 8th gen Si (fg2) for 8 years, sold it to a friend so I can still see it, got a 2020 Si at the beginning of the pandemic, drove it for 2yrs, and I'm now in a 2022 Si. 10th gen had a lot of equity, was able to offset the dealer markup (not super crazy markup like it is in certain states), OTD was near MSRP.

A lot of the things that bugged me in the 10th gen Si has been mostly addressed in the 11th gen.
No annoying lurching on 1-2 shift due to super heavy dual mass fly wheel.

No more weird sounds on engine shut off. This might be silly, but shutting off the car, it made alot of weird sounds, probably mostly from the dual mass flywheel if it has counter weights etc, but it made it sound super cheap.

Shifter feels wayyyy better through the gates, clutch pedal is wayyy more consistent through its travel (the 10th clutch for some reason felt like it was a trigger, it had a slight break point as you near the bottom...could just be me but this was one of my biggest dislike).

The center console and much of the dash doesn't have a lot of separate piece that can squeak.
Roof liner doesn't rattle anymore. (my 2020 squeaked and rattled right off the the dealer lot, the roof liner is literally fastened with 3m Velcro pads).

The suspension is nicely tuned like the 8th gen, its going to be stiff but you know that going in but its never punishing, the 10th gen normal mode was not "Si firm", sport mode made the dampers way too stiff for daily driving unless you have perfect roads everywhere.

Lighter flywheel and twin-scroll turbo really changes the way the car feels accelerating from a dig and at speed, torque drop off at the top of the rpm range is also not as bad as the 10th gen(though you can fix this with a tune), revving it to redline actually rewards you now instead of simply short shifting it.

The 11th gen isn't as cool looking as the 10th gen coupe, and we'll never get that high revving magic back but I definitely enjoy the 11th gen more as a whole. Don't dismiss it until you get to test drive one!

Last edited:

jsocks014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Depends what you want out of the car and this is opinion. My 8th gen had summer tires, full bolt ons and tune. I loved revving out to 9k rpm’s but I’d give the daily needs to the 11th. There is so much more potential on this turbo platform without sacrificing reliability and tearing motors apart. The handling on the 11th Si is a beautiful design. If I could find my 8th, I’d buy it back and dedicate it to race. I’m sure I’m not the only one but others will argue, the 11th gen Si is a better stock platform than the 8th. Aftermarket is to be determined

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Supra Turbo, 1000hp Lexus SC300, 22 Civic Si...
I never owned a car with a B or a K series, but really missed the sound of them (many of my friends had the back in the day). A local Audi dealer had a nice 2011 Si for sale and I was basically just going to buy it on the spot, but the salesman offered me to test drive it, so I did. I wound it through the gears and while the high revving VTEC feeling of yore was there, the power was just gutless compared to basic vehicles on the market today.

When I test drove the 22 Civic (automatic sport touring) I was surprised by how good the power delivery felt. My daily driver is an Alfa Giulia (the 22 Si has now replaced). And while the Si is probably 1.5 or more second slower in the quarter mile than the Giulia l, it didn’t feel much different. Plus, I know that if I want the car to go faster, I can have it tuned And have a decently quick car.
This is why I didn’t consider another normally aspirated vehicle like the GR86.

I think you get the handling and driving dynamics of the older NA civics with the ability to make relatively decent power if you want it. However, If you feel it is too close to the 20th gen, Maybe something to consider would be the Integra Type-S?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I watched a street race on youtube between the two gens of Si's , and they were very close. The 22 Si seemed to have a very small advantage at the top end of the rpm band, but not a huge amount. They seemed to be very even

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
USA-367, 2011 Civic Si
I just picked up a 2011 Si to daily drive over my CTR LE. Having previously owned the 2015 Si (9th gen), I have to say, the 8th gen Si is something really special. The 8k redline and VTEC turnover, incredible. I'm surprised more Honda enthusiast don't value the 8th gen Si over the 9th or even the 10th gen Si. Out of the 8th, 9th and 10th gen Si, the 8th is by far the most raw, old school feeling. If you want tech, a bump in power and more refinement, no doubt the 9th, 10th and 11th gen are the way to go, but I absolutely love the simplicity of the 8th gen.

IMO, save your money and don't get the 11th gen Si, shop for a well maintained 8th gen Si and get back into one. They're the last true VTEC Si (on intake and exhaust side), something Honda will never make again (sadly). The one I just picked up has 64k miles, all OEM w/HFP exhaust, no accidents on VIN, and I'm the third owner. Paid $15k, will probably never get rid of it if all goes to plan.

Pielo7

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I just picked up a 2011 Si to daily drive over my CTR LE. Having previously owned the 2015 Si (9th gen), I have to say, the 8th gen Si is something really special. The 8k redline and VTEC turnover, incredible. I'm surprised more Honda enthusiast don't value the 8th gen Si over the 9th or even the 10th gen Si. Out of the 8th, 9th and 10th gen Si, the 8th is by far the most raw, old school feeling. If you want tech, a bump in power and more refinement, no doubt the 9th, 10th and 11th gen are the way to go, but I absolutely love the simplicity of the 8th gen.

IMO, save your money and don't get the 11th gen Si, shop for a well maintained 8th gen Si and get back into one. They're the last true VTEC Si (on intake and exhaust side), something Honda will never make again (sadly). The one I just picked up has 64k miles, all OEM w/HFP exhaust, no accidents on VIN, and I'm the third owner. Paid $15k, will probably never get rid of it if all goes to plan.

I am agree, i did the same and hunt for one for months until find a gem, 48k miles clean tittle and garage keep, truly the last of Honda VTEC platforms

Attachments

NoWin

Slimer the Civic Si
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI EGP Coupe, 2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6, 1998 Plymouth Neon ACR sedan
Just my data point: I bought a 2017 Si Coupe (EGP) in Feb 2017. For me, a geezer, and past autocrosser, I loved the car. I sold it this past December at profit (4k over what I paid) and sadly let it go. I was not a fan of the new Si when it was first released, but it's growing on me.

Miss the coupe style, yes, but as I get older, those 2 extra doors are great. I can still do without an iPad sticking up in the dash, but its still better looking than a Tesla by a long shot. I figure in a year or two, the 10th Gens will drop in value, and therein lies opportunity to buy a coupe again.

Now lets get Honda to offer EGP on the 11th gen, and I'm back on board with a new weekend car.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I watched a street race on youtube between the two gens of Si's , and they were very close. The 22 Si seemed to have a very small advantage at the top end of the rpm band, but not a huge amount. They seemed to be very even
Could you link us please?

Naija Bull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
I think I saw the same race, the 10th gen Si seemed to have a better bottom end and would pull on the 11th gen on "go", but the 11th gen would slow down the gap. The 10th seems to be a tiny bit quicker.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
I hope you didn't sell your 2020 Si. I would wait at least 2-3 years to buy a new car it's just a madhouse out there right now.

jsocks014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Stock vs stock it’s hard to argue the 8th holds a candle to 11th gen. Price wise, you can do full bolt ons and hondata tune, that 8th is a blast for less money. The k20 is a great motor but bland in stock form. Enjoy that gem you found, I wish I could find my old one and buy it back honestly. But Honda has done a pretty good job with this 1.5T

Andrewb325

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 SGP Civic Si (delivered!)
However, I will say the steering, handling, shifter/linkage/throws are much much improved in the 11th gen. For its price, the car handles extremely well even with the average all seasons that come with from factory. It will be a beast with stickier summer tires. These factors for me are enough to consider the Si if I were in your position. Not sure if I helped you or confused you. Lol !
I think you nailed it here. The engine isn’t that characterful, but it’s also not bad and definitely has it’s positive points. The way you can just glide along on the mid-range torque and scoot around other traffic is pretty great. I came up on B-series Acuras but I also recently owned a Focus ST and I’ve really come to appreciate a well-tuned turbo motor. It feels very linear compared to the 10th gen and the lighter flywheel helps throttle response. Subaru WRX motors are tuned like shit compared to this. Up to 40mpg is also something the old N/A motors couldn’t dream of coming close to. In this time of $5 plus for premium fuel that matters. I traded in an F-150 and I’m laughing all the way to the bank every time I fill up.

However, it’s the other parts of the car that make it a really amazing driving experience, especially In this day and age. The handling is absolutely amazing. The transmission is near perfect. The interior is Audi-level build quality (at least it seems like it to me) for $28,000. Even missing the Canadian features it feels like an up-scale drive and is just a really pleasant place to be. The seats are comfortable, supportive and look cool. Mine is Sonic Grey and I think it looks perfect. It looks way more characterful in real life than it does in pictures. Honda really nailed the looks.
Sponsored

Last edited: