• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TheTopher

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I've been wanting to try this for a while and finally got around to it.

UPDATE: Here's the easiest way to lock the exhaust valve in the open position:

While the car is off the valve is closed.
1. Pull the Active Exhaust Valve fuse, then turn the ignition on, ignition off.
2. Replace the fuse with the car off and valve should open. Now you can pull the fuse again and you're all set.

No check engine lights, exhaust sound is a bit deeper and louder, especially at low revs, where the valve would normally have been closed. Sounds good imo. I'll post some in-car video with better audio soon, for now here are a few outside shots:

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 stock exhaust valve: Fuse pulled/always open - exterior sound clips IMG_0797
Sponsored

Last edited:

daazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Miata
I've been wanting to try this for a while and finally got around to it. You may be able to do this another way, but this is how I got my exhaust valve in the open position, then pulled the fuse.

While the car is turned off, I unplugged the connection to the valve at the rear muffler, then plugged it back in. This triggered the valve to open. Then I unplugged the exhaust valve fuse in the engine bay.

No check engine lights, exhaust sound is a bit deeper and louder, especially at low revs, where the valve would normally have been closed. Sounds good imo. I'll post some in-car video with better audio soon, for now here are a few outside shots:

IMG_0797.jpg
Thank you for this Topher!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Oh nice!🤩

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
Doesn't sound as good as an exhaust IMO, but for someone looking for a tiny upgrade over stock... Sounds pretty decent! Not to mention the best part about this mod is its free ;)

OP
OP
TheTopher

TheTopher

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Did you take off the MRT exhaust already? Any reasons why? Thanks for the info!
Yeah, it was a little loud for me. It sounds good compared to a lot of the FK8 systems I've heard, just a hint of drone around 3500rpm. Maybe down the road I'll play around with a midpipe or something, we'll see.

Short of sounding like a Fiat 500 Abarth or Elantra N, my sensitive old man ears are pretty happy with the way the open valve sounds.

Doesn't sound as good as an exhaust IMO, but for someone looking for a tiny upgrade over stock... Sounds pretty decent! Not to mention the best part about this mod is its free ;)
Exactly, only takes 5 minutes too!

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
Yeah, it was a little loud for me. It sounds good compared to a lot of the FK8 systems I've heard, just a hint of drone around 3500rpm. Maybe down the road I'll play around with a midpipe or something, we'll see.

Short of sounding like a Fiat 500 Abarth or Elantra N, my sensitive old man ears are pretty happy with the way the open valve sounds.
When I saw that I was curious if they could have added another resonator in that straight pipe section. I was tempted to get that MRT but may hold off now after your feedback and see what else comes out.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It is really weird to me that my completely stock ‘09 Si had a better sound at idle than the FL5. I’m an “old man” too. I don’t need a super loud exhaust, but I’d like to hear something outside the car (other than the engine churning)! The FL5 is way too quiet. Thanks again for this. Keep us updated if you get any CEL’s or anything like that.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
That BOV sound at 0:33 though 👌

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It sounds like some BOV sounds to me too, in addition to tires chirping.

OP
OP
TheTopher

TheTopher

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Many thanks! Any tips on how to reach the valve clip on the muffler? I can’t get my hand to it - LOL!
haha yeah it's a tight reach. You could also see if unplugging the fuse and then plugging it back in while the car is off would cause the valve to cycle open?