• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Super loud noise Eagle F1 Sport

cyclop20

First Name
kin Wei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE XI SPEC E
Hi all, thanks for allowing me joining here, I’ve change my wheel from stock 16” to 18”, it’s a flow forming wheel 18x8.5jj et35, equip with tyre 235/40/18 Goodyear eagle f1 sport, I think this tyre is only for Asia and Australia market, it been a month I driving with this set of tyre, the road noise is exceptionally loud at highway, especially exceed 100kmh, I’ve visit few tyre shop to diagnose the problem, there’s few reason given but none of them solve the noise problem:
1. The low offset causing wheel exceed fender like 10mm, it causing loud noise.
2. The tyre is hard compound, causing loud noise,
3. The tyre mount is stretched, causing the loss of sound proof. (I think this is not true as 8.5” rims is most common to equip with 235 tyre. )
4. The rear camber is too negative, causing tyre noise. (It’s factory camber setting, measured naked eye is like -1.5 degree)
5. It simply is I’m too sensitive in road noise, I need to get use to it.
The car is three month old, have did properly alignment, no other mods is applied, the original 16” wheel is very low in noise, so comfort.
There’s a sample video recorded exactly what I hear when driving:

And below is some pic for reference.
thank you all and hope to get some good opinion to solve this issue.

11th Gen Honda Civic Super loud noise Eagle F1 Sport 2437A4AA-3D09-44F4-95D9-84D26E5E2086

11th Gen Honda Civic Super loud noise Eagle F1 Sport D98217DB-3033-40E4-A0E0-46B43BEDEA38

11th Gen Honda Civic Super loud noise Eagle F1 Sport 3AF438B2-FBC6-4E71-83D5-924E08300560
Sponsored

Last edited:

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
just chalk it up to the tire more than the specs. I know my winter tires were really quiet before I put on the oem goodyear summer tires, the increase in road noise went up quite a bit, and winter tires are usually considered loud, but the Goodyears are worse.

OP
OP
cyclop20

cyclop20

First Name
kin Wei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE XI SPEC E
just chalk it up to the tire more than the specs. I know my winter tires were really quiet before I put on the oem goodyear summer tires, the increase in road noise went up quite a bit, and winter tires are usually considered loud, but the Goodyears are worse.
It’s not cheap for this set Goodyear, the shop charge me quite a premium compare to others… so I really struggle if really need to replace another set…

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
It’s not cheap for this set Goodyear, the shop charge me quite a premium compare to others… so I really struggle if really need to replace another set…
well they were designed for performance, I think road-quiet was not an attribute they considered when that tire was made. I don't notice the noise as much now, maybe I have gotten used to it, and my other car is even noisier on the highway. When I first got my car in winter, my wife and I were surprised how quiet the car was (quieter than my Subaru Impreza that I traded in), but as soon as I put on the oem factory summer tires this spring the noise level went up big time.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
You want performance or quiet? You can't have both. Stickier tires are going to be louder on the road than comfort tires. It's up to you to choose.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Anyone remember the Falken Azenis which were ubiquitous with the Honda/Acura crowd in the early 2000's? Talk about LOUD...

OP
OP
cyclop20

cyclop20

First Name
kin Wei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE XI SPEC E
Anyone remember the Falken Azenis which were ubiquitous with the Honda/Acura crowd in the early 2000's? Talk about LOUD...
Is that a loud tyre?

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
They are loud tires period. High performance tires combined with a Civic is going to be loud.

nttran98

First Name
Nhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Hatchback EX-L
a lot of people on the group change to the Conti DWS 06 immidately for the noise. Some US hatchback people got the Conti Pro contact and people says that the are much quieter

OP
OP
cyclop20

cyclop20

First Name
kin Wei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE XI SPEC E
a lot of people on the group change to the Conti DWS 06 immidately for the noise. Some US hatchback people got the Conti Pro contact and people says that the are much quieter
Hi thks for the kind opinion. My region Malaysia dont have that particular model, but my next change probably will be continental mc6, as I’ve been use conti for years, so far feel ok with it performance.

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Hi all, thanks for allowing me joining here, I’ve change my wheel from stock 16” to 18”, it’s a flow forming wheel 18x8.5jj et35, equip with tyre 235/40/18 Goodyear eagle f1 sport, I think this tyre is only for Asia and Australia market, it been a month I driving with this set of tyre, the road noise is exceptionally loud at highway, especially exceed 100kmh, I’ve visit few tyre shop to diagnose the problem, there’s few reason given but none of them solve the noise problem:
1. The low offset causing wheel exceed fender like 10mm, it causing loud noise.
2. The tyre is hard compound, causing loud noise,
3. The tyre mount is stretched, causing the loss of sound proof. (I think this is not true as 8.5” rims is most common to equip with 235 tyre. )
4. The rear camber is too negative, causing tyre noise. (It’s factory camber setting, measured naked eye is like -1.5 degree)
5. It simply is I’m too sensitive in road noise, I need to get use to it.
The car is three month old, have did properly alignment, no other mods is applied, the original 16” wheel is very low in noise, so comfort.
There’s a sample video recorded exactly what I hear when driving:

And below is some pic for reference.
thank you all and hope to get some good opinion to solve this issue.
Hi, could you download 'NIOSH SLM' app for iOS and Android to measure the DB in the cabin as you drive to give others here an idea how noisy exactly is it? For your information, i am getting about 60+ DB on my 10th gen civic hatchback(sedans are quieter) on highways, higher up to 80db+ if the road are rough

Also, upgrading the wheels and tyres from 16" to 18" gives you much less sidewall usually. So that could be the cause of the "noise" 18x8.5 means wider wheels = better performance and lower NVH

OP
OP
cyclop20

cyclop20

First Name
kin Wei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE XI SPEC E
Hi, could you download 'NIOSH SLM' app for iOS and Android to measure the DB in the cabin as you drive to give others here an idea how noisy exactly is it? For your information, i am getting about 60+ DB on my 10th gen civic hatchback(sedans are quieter) on highways, higher up to 80db+ if the road are rough

Also, upgrading the wheels and tyres from 16" to 18" gives you much less sidewall usually. So that could be the cause of the "noise" 18x8.5 means wider wheels = better performance and lower NVH
about 65-70 on street road , speed about 80-90.
highway more noisy.

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
about 65-70 on street road , speed about 80-90.
highway more noisy.
On a rough road it can be as high as 80+, are you constantly getting 65-70 db on street roads, speed a little high? (are we talking kmh or mph)

OP
OP
cyclop20

cyclop20

First Name
kin Wei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE XI SPEC E
On a rough road it can be as high as 80+, are you constantly getting 65-70 db on street roads, speed a little high? (are we talking kmh or mph)
Is kmh, mostly time at 65-70, some time till 75, but I take the average.
Sponsored