• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

This can’t be right?!?!? ? Automatic Type R??

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
So someone just sent me this, it’s an article from foxnews. Unless I’m really behind on the news (which I doubt), or they are misinformed! They are reporting that the next type-R will have 6MT AND and automatic???!!!??????
Heres the link:
https://apple.news/Abx0vAPHhRp6_nEcLnGhnXA

Heres the shorter version:

11th Gen Honda Civic This can’t be right?!?!? ? Automatic Type R?? 264C2778-CE9C-4612-AACC-DBED7B2D382F
Sponsored

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM
So someone just sent me this, it’s an article from foxnews. Unless I’m really behind on the news (which I doubt), or they are misinformed! They are reporting that the next type-R will have 6MT AND and automatic???!!!??????
Heres the link:
https://apple.news/Abx0vAPHhRp6_nEcLnGhnXA

Heres the shorter version:

264C2778-CE9C-4612-AACC-DBED7B2D382F.jpeg
Car and Driver also corroborated this. They said Honda has confirmed an AT option, but has not given details on it. Probably going to be an 8speed DCT if it was my guess.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan

ralvarez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla Hatchback 1991, Civic EX-T
Just look at the Accord 2.0 Turbo... 10 speed auto and pulls like a champ.

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM
Nothing confirmed. Their exact words ...

"Honda has already confirmed that a six-speed manual transmission will be offered, although an optional dual-clutch automatic transmission may join the lineup."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37848724/2022-honda-civic-type-r-teaser/
This is the one I read
https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/civic-type-r

"We're also happy to hear that the next Type R will keep its manual transmission. Drivers who can't do the three-pedal shuffle might also get bailed out by a newly available dual-clutch automatic."

Maybe it's not confirmed, but their wording was very suggestive lol

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
AT not confirmed. Expect 6MT only on the CTR. Wait for the Integra if anyone wants an AT.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I highly doubt the CTR would get an auto option when even the lowly Si didn't get one. But everything Civic related is also kind of thrown into a weird flux because of the Integra coming back... but I would be shocked to see any kind of auto option on the CTR ever until the day Hondas are all electric.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
If it does have an auto variant it would be the 8 Speed DCT that Honda has been working on. Only point that Honda offering a DCT with a Manual option is to bring buyers in to Type R who don’t or can’t drive a manual. As Robb mentioned, the Integra is really playing around with what the Civic has to offer. It’s going to be one of those things where Honda will compete against itself with either model. Integra would more then likely also get that new 8 speed DCT if the CTR has it. Also if the power output somewhat matches the CTR and offers a 8 DCT then the Type R team will literally be forced to put it in so they don’t lose sales of the Type R.

One thing also is that the competition is offering Automatic’s as an option with a Manual coming standard. Honda has to be more competitive and offering the DCT makes a ton of sense.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I they do go auto for the R it's a super odd choice. I mean if any car is begging for an automatic option, it's the more accessible and mainstream Si sedan.

As much as I love manuals (90% of my cars have been row your own gears), Honda is seriously limiting Si sales not having an auto option.

Then again, Honda always makes strange packaging decisions.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
I they do go auto for the R it's a super odd choice. I mean if any car is begging for an automatic option, it's the more accessible and mainstream Si sedan.

As much as I love manuals (90% of my cars have been row your own gears), Honda is seriously limiting Si sales not having an auto option.

Then again, Honda always makes strange packaging decisions.
They are limiting everything with not offering a Auto/DCT. Every other brand even Hyundai with the N models has both a Manual and DCT. Golf R has a manual and DCT. All the major competitors offer it so why not offer it now especially since it’s the last no Hybrid CTR. A DCT will help even with the Nürburgring time. I think it’s time that Honda offers it for all the models.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't disagree there. I 100% get the purist angle of keeping the heritage and tradition of certain cars being manual only. And like I said I love manuals.

In today's automotive world though, things have changed. For some reason Honda isn't getting with the program. Save the manuaIs, sure absolutely. But I don't think Honda is doing amazingly well financially, so why not offer transmission options that might increase your sales and your bottom line?

I think an R with a DCT option would be cool and an Si with an auto option would sell tons.

I know there are people here who would yell "sacrilege!!" if an Si or R had a DCT. But as long as the 6 speed was still an option they could buy, where's the real harm?

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I can't disagree there. I 100% get the purist angle of keeping the heritage and tradition of certain cars being manual only. And like I said I love manuals.

In today's automotive world though, things have changed. For some reason Honda isn't getting with the program. Save the manuaIs, sure absolutely. But I don't think Honda is doing amazingly well financially, so why not offer transmission options that might increase your bottom line?

I think an R with a DCT option would be cool and an Si with an auto option would sell tons.

I know their are people here who would yell "sacrilege!!" if an Si or R had a DCT. But as long as the 6 speed was still an option they could buy, where's the real harm?
6MT exclusivity keeps the car rather uncommon and special feeling. I think it’s cool AF that Honda still caters to the enthusiast to some level in sacrifice of profit. But that’s been going out the window for a few years now.

I’ll be upset if they offer an automatic type R, but it wouldn’t be surprising at this point.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I know their are people here who would yell "sacrilege!!" if an Si or R had a DCT. But as long as the 6 speed was still an option they could buy, where's the real harm?
Some of us remember a time when people yelled "sacrilege" at the idea of a turbocharged Si or CTR taking away from the naturally aspirated lineage of those models... and guess what? The world didn't end, and the Si and CTR are arguably better for it. The same idea goes for offering an auto option.

The argument for offering an auto option in some form on these performance oriented models goes much deeper than just "real enthusiasts drive manuals" when there are plenty of real enthusiasts, like yourself, that prefer manuals, but maybe would prefer an auto because of where they live/traffic/commute/other family that might drive the car/etc or at the very least can see that it makes sound business sense to make the cars available to a much wider range of buyers.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT exclusivity keeps the car rather uncommon and special feeling. I think it’s cool AF that Honda still caters to the enthusiast to some level in sacrifice of profit. But that’s been going out the window for a few years now.

I’ll be upset if they offer an automatic type R, but it wouldn’t be surprising at this point.
I get that, I really do. I was driving manual Hondas and Acuras before many here were even born. Yeah, I'm old.

Yet as much as I love manuals, I don't feel like Honda adding an auto option takes away from the quality or prestige of an Si or R badge. Sure, if there were more Si's and R's out there it would feel less exclusive. But as long as you have your manual and you love your car, who cares that Harry Honda down the street owns an Si automatic?

I was one of those manual "snobs" at one point. Felt like anyone driving an auto Honda wasn't really driving. And there's no doubt you can't compare the fun factor and control of a manual to an auto.

In my case I gave up driving manual for my wife. She was seriously ill and we had huge medical bills. I sold my manual car along with her auto car to buy one car we both could both use. She couldn't drive stick.

Sadly she died in 2015. And when I purchased my Civic in '17, I wanted a manual but they were impossible to find. Almost settled for a manual Elantra Sport turbo. But I loved the 10th gen look and Cosmic Blue color and bought a Civic EX-L.

Members of CivicX know the rest of the story. I love my tuned Civic.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
With how much of a cluster the 11th is so far I wouldn't be surprised at all. And really who cares if they give more people the option of owning one? Still going to be way overpriced by US dealers.
Sponsored